“Great location, Clean rooms, Artsy Decor, but”

Renaissance New Orleans Arts Warehouse District Hotel
Ranked #48 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
San Juan, Texas
“Great location, Clean rooms, Artsy Decor, but”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

First off, I was in New Orleans on business and had never visited the city. This hotel was chosen for me because the V.P. of my company was staying there making logistics easy. We attended a seminar at the Hilton. My first impressions were that this is a very artsy type hotel located in the warehouse district of New Orleans. Upon check-in, the hotel looked very clean and they allowed me to check-in early even though I requested to check-in at 3 p.m. I entered the room and saw that is was very clean. The only negative thing I can say about the room is that there were some stains on the carpet near the door. Other than that, the room looked good. Those wishing to visit Harrah's Casino, the Hilton for conventions, or just on a trip will really appreciate the proximity. Emeril's restaurant is right around the corner, as is a number of restaurants and pubs. I was worried how the area would be at night, but rest assured that there is plenty of lighting in the area and never once did I feel in danger. My room was quiet and I had a pleasant nights sleep on the comfortable bed. The only downsides to this hotel are that it doesn't offer Wi-Fi or a continental breakfast. It does offer internet connections for a price. The breakfast matter shouldn't be a big deal since travelers will probably opt to try the numerous eateries like the famous Cafe Du Monde (which isn't very far away). Overall a great stay in a good hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank vpj420

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Washington, DC
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Our recent 2-night stay was truly lovely -- the decor and atmosphere of the hotel, from the lobby to the guest rooms, is luxurious and modern. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The location, in the heart of the warehouse/arts district, is a real plus if you're looking for something quiet that's just a moderate walk to the St Charles streetcar (5 mins), the Quarter (20 mins), the Convention Center (2 mins), or Harrah's casino (5 mins).
My favorite part? The beautifully-maintained rooftop pool & hot tub, with an amazing view of the city!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We had a very nice 3-night stay at the Renaissance Arts Hotel, picked for us using Name Your Own Price on Priceline. We had an excellent deal on the place, which made a good hotel even better.

The hotel's lobby, bar, and restaurant are all very impressive. Modern, arty, chic, and clean. While we didn't eat in the restaurant ever, it wasn't empty, which says something for a hotel with lots of other good places to eat around it.

The room itself was great. Though square-footage wise, it was slightly on the small side (our king-bed room didn't leave a lot of extra floor space), the bed made up for anything else the room was lacking. At a glance, I thought it was going to be disappointing, as the mattress looked thin. But it was one of the most comfortable night's sleep I've had at a hotel in years. The mattress was phenomenal, the pillows soft, and the sheets velvety. It was hard to check out from. Also of note in the room was a mini-fridge. The bathroom was clean, and the shower quite excellent.

Located in the Warehouse Arts District, we were surrounded by quality restaurants and lots of bars. Other standard places were a bit farther (it was a solid 15 - 20 minute walk to the closest drug store or grocery story). The French Quarter is walking distance, albeit a long walk, and though we never took a cab to and from the front desk staff said cabs from there to the hotel run roughly $7. We actually preferred being somewhat removed from the madness, and appreciated being in a quieter area.

The only issue we had with the hotel was the parking: $31 a day for valet is your only option. We quickly figured out a trick to beat the system though. Street parking around the hotel is plentiful, and free from 6pm - 8am. New Orleans has a "pay by phone" parking system, so you just set up your phone account the night before, then get the info of the meter where you parked, set your alarm for 8am, wake up, make a 30 second call, and go back to sleep. For $3, you have two hours of parking. Repeat at 10am as needed, or actually head out with your car. Over the course of three nights and four days there, we didn't even spend close to $31 total. Had we gone with valet, it would have been over $100 for parking alone. It's sort of a pain in the butt to wake up every morning (even for two minutes) at 8am, but for us it was worth it to save the money.

The hotel staff were fine, some nicer and more helpful than others, and definitely not the standout feature of the hotel. A few staff members were friendly and welcoming, others seemed mildly annoyed to be bothered with questions or problems. It wasn't a huge issue, but it wasn't the best service I've ever had at a hotel. (Again though, the bed was so comfortable that it made up for it.)

This was a very good hotel. I don't know that I'd rate it as four-star, upscale, or luxury (the way Priceline does), but it was a very nice stay indeed.

3 Thank edythevieve
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Stayed here for our annual college girls weekend. Booked 3 rooms using a AAA discount where we got breakfast for 2 included in our room rate. Hotel is located in nice, quieter neighborhood, across the street from a fun bar called Lucy's and on the same street as a good restaurant called Tommy's. Super easy to walk to French Quarter, convention center, and Harrah's. The hotel was clean, decorated in a neat, funky artsy way. Some rooms faced an atrium and seemed larger than the rooms that faced outside. So be forewarned that if you want to have a window looking outside, make sure you ask. The bar / restaurant area was very nice and the breakfast we had each morning there was very good, and the staff attentive.

Only semi negative comments... every time I went to the front desk, there was no one there. They would eventually come around, and I never had to wait long. It was just a little odd. Same with the bell stand. And if you need a cab for the airport or a very specific time, you might want to call ahead and order one. A few of my friends had to wait awhile for a cab to appear to get to the airport and I ended up "hitching" a cab fare with some random people from another hotel on their way to the airport due to lack of cabs.

Would HIGHLY recommend staying here for work or pleasure.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms face an atrium. If you do not like this style of room, then be sure to request a r...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 November 2011

My husband and I spent a long weekend in NOLA having not been back to the city for many years. We chose this hotel because of its spacious rooms and its close proximity to the places we wanted to visit (the WWII Museum, Ogden Museum, etc) and far enough away from the noise and crowds of Bourbon Street.
Thanks to the LSU/BAMA game, even the warehouse district was crowded but not overwhelmingly so...after all, it is New Orleans and if its not crowded, that's not a good sign.
We had a great time, enjoyed the comfort and cleanliness of the hotel and found everyone there to be pleasant and helpful.

Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed for 3 nights, everything was perfect. Nice area to walk around, felt safe enough. People were friendly and helpful. I would stay there again. Spend the money on the WWII museum and film, very well done.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor, it was fine. Took our morning coffee to the roof top pool, very enjoyable!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel back in December of 2009, made a review and apparently it has been deleted so I am doing it again so you all know what kind of fascade this place is putting on. After I graduated from college, three girlfriends and myself came to NOLA to celebrate graduating. The first night was great. The next day while we were out, the cleaning staff cleaned our room alright and cleaned out of wallets!! When we advised their loss prevention people, he basically said it was our fault and that he completely trusted the three ladies that cleaned our room because he had known them for five years. I don't care if he knew them for five years or fifty-five years! They stole our money! For reasons of being mugged, I don't carry around all of my money. My money was inside my wallet, inside my zipped purse, inside a bigger zipped bag, covered by clothing and a blanket AND out of the way!! There was NO reason for them to even move or go through my things or the girls things! NEVER AGAIN WILL I EVER STAY HERE! I was a victim of theft and then a victim all over again when their stupid loss prevention people sided with the help knowing FULLY that she and her two accomplices were in our room! The rest of our stay we kept our do not disturb sign on to prevent other things from being stolen! This was such a crappy stay and I have been to NOLA several times of the years and this was the first that I was made to feel like it was my fault for even visiting! STAY AWAY!!! They take your money for your stay and the money in your wallet that was hidden!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends