“Lovely surprise hotel”

Ranked #44 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Great Plains
“Lovely surprise hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We bid on priceline for a hotel in the warehouse district so had no input into which hotel other than price. We got the Renaissance and it was a wonderful surprise! Beautiful in a fresh, brightly colored decor - the artwork around the hotel is very interesting and atypcial for hotels. The lobby is scented with something that smelled fresh and inviting! The rooms were appointed nicely, and the bed was divine! We'd consider buying one of their beds for our home!! Location was good for us - near WW II Museum, and close enough to walk to restaurants in the French Quarter. And it was very, very quiet! We'd definitely recommend this hotel for the quality it has, the friendly service, and it's location.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank dreamtraveler4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Norwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

This property is a 10 minute walk to the middle of the convention center & 15 min walk to bourbon street also the casino is about 6 mins by foot.

The rooms are nice and beds are comfy as well.

So here is my problem. I had an early morning flight and had to be at airport for 515am.

I went to the valet and asked how I can arrange for a cab that early. He took my name and room info and told mere would have a car waiting for me. Woke up in the morning,got dressed and walked to the entrance and could see it was pouring rain out. So walked out and waited for a good 15 mins and no car. The lobby was all dark so I called a cab on my own and made it to airport with no problem. So your asking yourself what's the problem?

Well I contacted hotel and spoke to manager and all he had to say it sounded like a scam! You should have come inside to the front desk and we would have made arrangements for you and that valet are outsourced.

My response to that is when you have someone out front with a name tag greeting guests then he is a extension of you and represents the property. You should of just said I'm sorry and I will take a look into it. Instead you didn't really care. Show some leadership because I will tell you now that it just shows how much Marriott cares about its clients .

If you want to be treated well take my word this place is comfy but your just a number like most otherMarriott properties where status is nothing.

If you can I recommend the W on Poydras much nicer stay and the staff cares!

And one last thing to the manager your in New Orleans give people a reason to comeback besides for mardi gras and jazz fest. Because your treatment sure won't .

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Several years ago, I stayed at the Renaissance Arts and found it to be one of the best hotels in New Orleans. So I was anxious to stay there again when I went to New Orleans a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately it was not at all what I remembered.

I requested a platinum upgrade on check-in but was told no suites were available, only an executive king. I was told the executive king rooms had their own individual internet connections. When I got to my room, the internet service was not working. I contacted the number provided for support, and after sitting on hold for 20 minutes or so, was told they could not help me and to call the front desk. The front desk knew nothing and did not offer any real solution. I asked, then, to change rooms. It was funny to me that the agent didn't offer to send the bellman up with the keys - instead she told me to come downstairs.

In my new room, the toilet immediately stopped up and ran all night. This room also lacked an in-room safe, something I always utilize and something I never find absent from a hotel room. The room had so much empty space as well - it was as if it needed additional furniture or something.

I ordered dinner with room service - the NY Strip Steak. I ordered it rare; the steak arrived Medium to Medium-Well, and the potatoes were cold. Not good for a $50 meal.

Overall, this hotel was quite disappointing. At best, its a three-star.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Alexjrosen
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Great value at $97. Well appointed, spacious, and in a great location. Walking distance to the French Quarter but away from the noise and traffic. Expect to pay at least $28 to park overnight.

• Stayed March 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Great location! As soon as you walk in its just beautiful. We had access to the VIP room which served great food. There is a pool, hot tub, and gym. Next time I will pack my bathing suit. It was December and a bit too cold to swim. The room was a nice size, very clean, and nicely decorated. Walking distance to great restaurants including Emeril's. We will be staying here again when visiting New Orleans.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank momocakes83
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

This hotel proved a bit less expensive than comparable 4 stars. It is a nice size, in the warehouse district, but only 4 blocks from canal street. (On the same street as restaurant August!). I would stay here again. The rooms have refrigerators--some face out, some face the courtyard.

Room Tip: rooms vary in size--fourth floor rooms are on the club level
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank abcpoet
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at Renaissance Arts Hotel. The room was modern, clean, and spacious. The hotel was within walking distance to the French Quater but far enough away to not be in all the craziness. I only had one issue with the toilet not working in my room when I first arrived at my room but the front desk quickly sent up a maintenance man to repair it within 20 mins of me calling. Overall a great stay and I will be back again.

• Stayed February 2012