“Off the beaten path, which is nice”

Renaissance New Orleans Arts Warehouse District Hotel
Ranked #52 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a good place to stay, but some areas are showing wear. I was surprised by the stained hallway carpets. While the place is fairly well taken of, this is an area that needs attention and it's not that hard to keep the carpets clean.

The hotel was stressed when I arrived because of a large event in New Orleans, which I wasn't aware of. The restaurant offered a very small menu with three sandwiches, a gumbo, no salads and no large plates. That made for a disappointing first night. But the hotel rebounded on Monday in most areas, except for housekeeping. The housekeepers were overwhelmed. My room wasn't cleaned until after 5 PM. The maids had been there since the morning so I suspect that they put in a 10 plus hour day. It seems that management could have anticipated the need for more help that day. It was disappointing to return to my room in the afternoon and it wasn't made up.

While the last bit has a negative tone, this hotel is a good option since it's not on Canal Street or in the French Quarter. I like not being in the center of the chaos when I'm in New Orleans.

Room Tip: I stayed on an outside room, along Girod Street. I wasn't disturbed by any street noise. The in...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Kate R, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New Orleans Arts Warehouse District Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear RMA626,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location in New Orleans' incredible Arts & Warehouse District, which is located near some of the best restaurants and nightlife the city has to offer. Please accept our apologies that your stay was not the flawless experience that we love to deliver to our guests. We would very much like a chance to deliver a perfect stay to you on your next visit to New Orleans, should we have the pleasure of hosting you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,149)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We absolutely loved this hotel. From the moment we pulled up the staff was ready to assist in anyway possible. We drove a 15 passenger van so we knew we would have to valet park rather than attempt to find a lot willing to let us park. At $42 per night it was worth it to know our van was safe and sound. The valet, bellhop, front desk, lobby bartender, and the maid staff were all very helpful, they definitely come from a place of YES. The art in the hotel was beautiful, we love Dale Chihuly and fell in love with the pieces in the lobby as you enter the hotel. The hotel also had the most wonderful smell, I don't know if it was the fresh flowers in the lobby but it was fresh and relaxing. Our room was spacious, the linens and bed were VERY comfortable, the bathroom was large and everything was spotless. We had no complaints except that we had to check out and go home. While other hotels we have stayed at were booked or overpriced due to the July 4th holiday the Renaissance Hotel won our business and we will be returning soon!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deanna T

Dear Deanna,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We're glad to hear you had such an exquisite experience at the Renaissance New Orleans Arts hotel, from the Dale Chihuly art to our superb customer service. We would love nothing more than to host you on your next trip to New Orleans!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Overall I had a satisfactory experience at the hotel. I was attending a conference and hotel was a short walking distance to the convention center. It's also close enough to Bourbon if you want to grab dinner or drinks afterwards.
The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The room was nicely appointed and bed was very comfortable. It has a nice little pool on the rooftop to take a dip. But it didn't have any shades/umbrellas. The hot tub was also under construction when I was there.

This hotel is not inexpensive and I feel that for the price (especially if you have to pay for internet, breakfast and car park etc), I would expect the overall quality to be better. Service at the restaurant for breakfast was extremely slow. Most times the staff just seemed overwhelmed. I also ordered a la carte most days and they always forgot to bring me something I asked for.
I also wanted to use the sauna in the gym but after peeking in, I decided against it because the floor had dark foot prints all over it.

Room Tip: My room faced the front and was very quiet even during one night when a party from the bar across th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank babycakes
Kate R, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New Orleans Arts Warehouse District Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel. We are pleased that you were satisfied by your conference experience, particularly by the friendly, helpful service. Please accept our apologies that you did not experience the exceptional service typical of our hotel during your meals at our restaurant or the gym. We would like to make this right should we have the pleasure of hosting you on your next trip from New York.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I saw such great reviews of this place that I chose it over another trendy spot. I am struggling to understand how this hotel gets such great reviews. I was underwhelmed.

First the good. The staff was super friendly and very efficient. The art and art gallery was a neat design element. Having a small fridge that isn't a mini bar is nice. The location was great. I have visited this area often and enjoy the food, bars, attractions, and art galleries in the area. It is close enough to the Quarter to visit and get to very easily, but saves you from driving through it.

I found other aspects disappointing. Parking was pretty ridiculous at nearly $45 a night. I found a location within about a block that offered $15 for 24 hours. Internet access was around $13. The room phone kept flashing that I had a message but I could never dial out to get it using the message button. From my understanding, after mentioning it to the front desk, that doesn't work on their phones. The shower curtain was ill-fitting and incorrect. It was too short and would fly up with the shower on and then drip all over the floor when off, making a wet mess. I could never get the stupid thing correct. It, along with some of the wallpaper, was also dirty and should have been replaced before now. The style of the hotel for acoustics is absolutely terrible. I am not a light sleeper but was woken up EVERY night or early morning by noise in the central part of the hotel. All the interior rooms surround a huge atrium like space, so everything sound related carried straight up. From plates clanking in the breakfast area to loud guests coming back into the lobby late at night, I could hear it all.

I got a pretty decent price, so I am not suggesting that you steer clear of this place. There are tons of places that would be a much worse choice. But with so many unique locations in and around the area, it would be hard for me to be excited about staying here next time.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank halo36
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We are small business owners who have to travel frequently for our work. Finding a good hotel at a good price is a challenge. We were very happy to find the Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel - great location and good price besides! Our room had everything we needed, besides being bright and sunny. We checked in around 3 PM after a long day of travel and while relaxing before dinner people in the adjoining room started arguing, slamming the door and, well, let's just say they had started drinking too much too early and couldn't keep it down - and it all sounded like it was taking place in our room! We called the front desk to see if we could move somewhere quieter, but because there was a large convention booked into the hotel, all they could do was move us to a "Suite" down the hall - at a $100/ night more. This was a reduction off the regular price of the Suite, and it was very quiet - just not what we had signed up for. The explanation we received was that "it is New Orleans".
- As a whole, the management worked with us on getting a room - although the Suite was dated, tired and a bit over used. It was an interior room, opening into a center courtyard so a bit dark. Because this room was not booked for a multi night weeknight stay, we think they could have given it to us at a bit more of a discount.
- Breakfast in the restaurant had great service, but was not something we returned to.
- Pool on the roof was very small.
- Loved the location, great restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: Outside rooms are bright - but beware of how thin the walls are!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear PinotSeller,

We appreciate the time that you took to share your experience with us. It's fantastic that you were very happy with our hotel, in particular with our location in the Warehouse District, which boasts great nightlife and New Orleans' most celebrated restaurants. We are terribly sorry to hear that your stay was not flawless and we will use your feedback to see where we can better our guests' experience. We hope to have the opportunity to deliver a perfect stay to you on your next trip to the Big Easy.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Got a great deal for this hotel and stayed here with my wife and our two sons. Cory at the front desk was very friendly and got us checked in with no problems. The room was beautiful and all of the art in the lobby and hallways added to the "upper class" feel of the place. Well within walking distance of the French Quarter. We swam in the rooftop pool and had the entire thing to ourselves. The boys loved it! My wife and I commented how the rooftop area seemed like a great place for adults to chill in the evening as they have speakers playing electronic music at a reasonable volume and there are couches and lounge chairs spread all over the roof.
Iirick the valet agreed to charge us a reduced fee for parking on the second night since we were checking out around 9am. It seemed like every staff member I met, even in passing, was very friendly and had a smile on their faces. Southern hospitality at its finest.
I would certainly stay here next time I'm in New Orleans, with or without the kids!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jeremy,

Thanks for your feedback! Cory is a wonderful navigator and we're happy to hear you experienced his first-class service, as well as our beautiful luxury accommodations and our friendly service. We hope you and your family had the chance to discover the vibrant surrounding neighborhood of the Warehouse District during your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I almost don't want to share this one because when I go "home" I don't want it to be sold out. This is the best hotel in NOLA hands down! Before, after and during hurricane Katrina. Located in the Arts Warehouse district it is in the middle of all things NOLA......the waterfront/convention center is behind it a mere 2 block walk. The MBZ Superdome is about 2-3 blocks walk no need to drive to the game and pay for parking. And the beloved Bourbon street is 2-3 blocks up and 2-3 blocks over and you are IN IT!
While you are walking to Bourbon street and you see a line outside a brick building do yourseld a favor and get in it....Mother's restaurant is AWESOME! They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner and sometimes have a line out the door. The bloody Mary's are not for the faint at heart....WOW
To the left of the hotel is Emeril's if it's booked at the concierge at the Renaissance to book you. I am not sure if I can say anything about Emeril's that hasn't been said before love the food and the sugar-coated muffins are to die for.
You will not be disappointed with this hotel I guarentee it!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cheryl B
Kate R, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New Orleans Arts Warehouse District Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Cheryl,

It was such a pleasure to read your review! We appreciate your loyalty to our property and we're glad you love our amazing location, which is optimal for discovering the best of New Orleans dining and nightlife. We can't wait to welcome you back on your next visit!