“Wonderful New Orleans Atmosphere”
Review of Elysian Fields Inn

Elysian Fields Inn
Ranked #5 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2007

If you're someone that likes everything pristine and glossy like a hotel, this is NOT the place for you. If you want a true taste of what New Orleans is really like, the Elysian Fields Inn is a wonderful place to stay and relax.

Jim & Leigh made us feel welcome, like good friends you've come to visit. The location may seem a little strange, especially if you're accustomed to staying in the Quarter, but it's most definitely a neighborhood with real people. Frenchman's St. is only a couple of blocks away with great music and food. From there, you can cross Esplanade to Decautur and be in the Quarter in 5-10 minutes. We walked pretty much everywhere we went when we didn't take the River Front Street Car at the end of Esplanade, and never felt nervous about the area. We were there over a weekend when it was not busy, so it was a good time to judge what the area is really like.

Although breakfast wasn't gourmet, it was always tasty and filling. Personally, I prefer uncomplicated breakfasts in NO so I can enjoy the wonderful food elsewhere, of which there is plenty.

Our room was neat, clean and comfortable even though it was one of the smaller ones. My favorite parts of the Inn were the front and back porches where you can come back after walking all day and relax for a bit with a good book or conversation before getting ready to go out for the evening. And of course Zeke, the live-in loveable pooch.

People need to remember that NO is still rebuilding, including the Faubourg Marigny where the Inn is located. New Orleans wouldn't be right if everything were bright, shiny and new. It's a city with atmosphere, that almost has a heartbeat of its own. If you like clean and sterile, stay at a chain hotel. If you want to feel like you belong, this is a great place to visit.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 May 2007

We have stayed at Elysian Fields several times since Katrina. Each time it just gets better. The inn is nicely furnished, the atmosphere inviting, and the inn keepers, Leigh and Jim, extermely nice.

The location, while next to a neighborhood that was devestated by Katrina is excellent (that neighborhood is being rebuilt but facelifts take time). It is is quiet and a short walk to Frenchman's St where you can listen to all sorts of great music and find wonderful resturants. And a we would walk all over the French Quarter and too the aquarium from there too.

Each morning we were greeted by the innkeepers and treated to a home cooked meal. This isn't something like a hotel but more like home. My husband especially liked the pastries and I'll admit the cinnamon buns were great.

Staying at Elysian Fields Inn wasn't like staying at hotel but more like visiting friends. We always feel welcome and know that any question we have will be answered. There may be a few rough spots but it takes time to clean up and recover from something like Katrina. No matter what, this is the only place we want to stay when we go to New Orleans.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2007

I had read such wonderful reviews I expected to find 4 Diamond quality. It really wasn't there. When planning another trip to New Orleans I'd book elsewhere.

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank elsiemarie
Reviewed 11 April 2007

We were impressed by the reviews of other travelers and the fact that Elysian Fields was a AAA four diamond B&B. We travel quite a bit and we've never gone wrong with a AAA rating. Except this time! Apparently the Inn received this designation before being sold to the current owners. They were pleasant enough and informative regarding the local sights, however they missed the mark in several areas. First was the location...the website shows a beautifully lit and cozy looking inn. What it does not show is the very close proximity to a very bad area. Also, the inn could use some upkeep. The front porch was very dirty and the welcome mat old and filthy. Ash trays full of cigarette butts on the porch...hanging flower baskets that needed attention. The place would benefit from a coat of paint and a front door refinishing. Not big things, but not what we would expect from a four diamond inn. We were also unhappy with the breakfasts that we were served. Day one we were given two waffles with two pieces of bacon...day two consisted of a choice of eggs and a sausage or yogurt with grapefruit mixed in. We have stayed in a lot of B&B's and this was probably the worst breakfast that we've experienced so far. All in all, Elysian Fields Inn may be OK for some, but the next time we're in New Orleans it'll be the Marriott for us!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank freddycat
Reviewed 4 April 2007

I stayed at the Elysian Fields Inn in Dec '04/Jan '05 (before Katrina). All I can say is that the place is excellent. Expertly remodeled with a knowledgeable and friendly staff. They're right along the Airport shuttle routes, and the property is just outside of the French Quarter. May date and I stayed in their apartment suite and it was fabulous. It had dvd/vcr players, a very nice clean and newly remodeled bathroom, hardwood floors, a huge bed, and a door that could be used to separate the bedroom area from the living room area (which contained its own couch and coffee table).

Breakfast in the common area was superb, the hosts were friendly and they even supply you maps to the different attractions. I cannot say enough about how welcoming they were. This is the review I should have written long ago, but I can safely say that I don't think I'd even consider staying anywhere else in New Orleans.

The building is older, but expertly remodeled. The operators are friendly, knowledgeable, and very accomodating. Of all my b&b experiences, I would rate this one the highest. After a late night spent at the famous Cafe Du Monde, the Elysian Fields Inn is a GREAT place to retire to. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2004, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2006

Elysian Fields Inn is beautiful! The hosts Jim and Leigh went out of their way to make us feel welcomed. I can honestly say at first I was concerned with the location but when we got there my fears were put to rest. We felt very safe walking to and from the French Quarter.
It is in a good location but can call a cab easily if not up to walking.
It was so nice starting out the day with the lovely breakfast that was prepared for all of the guest. No continental breakfast here!!
After a long day we would get back and relax on their inviting front porch.
Our room was beautiful and very comfortable. I enjoyed all the personal touches(eye mask, aveda products, map of the area/ FQ and mints on our bed to name a few).
As I mentioned this was our first experience at a B&B and we loved it!! Stay here and enjoy all that Jim and Leigh have to offer at Elysian Fields Inn!

On a side note New Olreans really needs our help. They need us(tourist) to come visit their unique and wonderful city.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CMK1970
A TripAdvisor Member
Silver Spring, MD
Reviewed 6 June 2006

Our experience was superb from the moment we walked through the door. We were greeted with warm hospitality and historic ambience. Upon arrival, the innkeepers (Jim and Leigh) escorted us to our beautifully appointed guest room. From the plush bedding, to the Aveda bath amenities, everything met and exceeded our (picky) expectations. Breakfast in the mornings was fresh and plentiful. The common areas are welcoming, including luxurious leather sofas and a computer with web access for all to use. A beautiful front porch lends itself to an evening cocktail hour or curling up alone with a good book. I also must mention the easy parking, and we were visiting during the busy Jazzfest weekend. Overall a wonderfully memorable stay!

• Stayed: May 2006