“Great Place”

Ranked #7 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 15 November 2004

My husband and I had a great time at the O'Malley House. The rooms were beautiful and the chocolate covered strawberries added a nice touch. The breakfast and conversation was great. I highly recommend this place. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2004

Greenacres, Washington
Reviewed 15 November 2004

My husband and I recently visited New Orleans on holiday and had the chance to stay at the 1896 O'Malley House. We really enjoyed everything about our accomodations. The breakfasts were delicious, the rooms very thoughtfully appointed and the B&B owners were very gracious hosts. They were helpful in directing us to various sites and making suggestions as to what to see in the city. The actual Bed and Breakfast is centrally located near the Canal street cable car. Dinners could be had at several restaurants only a few blocks away. We saved money by not having to rent a car. Short taxi ride from the airport.
We would highly recommend a stay at O'Malley House to friends who visit New Orleans. It was a memorable holiday.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rossland, BC
Reviewed 13 November 2004

When visiting a Bed and Breakfast there is always anticipation. The 1896 O'Malley House, hosted by Brad and Larry delivers. We were greeted on the front steps and felt what can only be described as warm Southern Hospitality throughout our visit. Brad and Larry made themselves available for information, as well as, friendly conversation. The home, breakfast and furnishings can only be described as extraordinary. We left feeling that we had made two great friends (oh yes, three including Cody, the wonder dog).

I can't wait to return and reclaim my status as Miss Magnolia Char-lett' the Southern Belle.

New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 November 2004

What a mixed bag! I read the reviews here before booking and agree 100% with all of them. The house is beautiful and the boys are just so nice and helpful. Since all of the "wonderfuls" have already been said on other posts, I must add three things:

1. I am allergic to dogs and the owners have a dog who sheds. He's a very sweet golden retriever (I think) but my allergies were haywire all weekend.

2. The location didn't inspire confidence for my safety. Some pretty unsavory characters walked by at all hours of the night. I know it's New Orleans but "watched" a few times when returning to the bed and breakfast.

3. The streetcar is great but undependable. Waited 30 minutes once to catch a car only to have the conductor go on break a few blocks later!

So, I highly recommend the place IF you want to hang around the house. It's definitely gorgeous and comfortable. If you want to use it as a base from which to explore, may wanna consider other neighborhoods.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 November 2004

We just finished our whirlwind tour of the southern states in New Orleans at The O'Malley House , it was superb. Brad and Larry were brilliant hosts ,the breakfasts were excellent and the rooms are wonderful. It really is an oasis of calm from the crowds and noise of the French Quarter , yet it is so easy to ride the streetcar and be in the action in a very short time. We intend to recommend this brilliant place to anyone who plans to travel to New Orleans .

Reviewed 5 November 2004

Just got back from our trip on Tues. We stayed at the 1896 O'Malley House. It was so nice. Just far enough from the Quarter. It was only a short drive down Canal Street. We parked right in front of the house. We rented a car cuz of our 10 month old. We needed to go back to take naps during the day. The rooms are so lovely and the breakfast was great. Larry cooked a really nice breakfast each morning. The inn keepers were so nice. Brad lent us his port a crib from when he was a child for our daughter to stay in. My daughter just loved Brad to death. They also have this turn down service w/ chocolate dipped strawberries. Most of the rooms have jacuzzis also...they always had snacks readily avail all day. if you wanted to take the street car it's just across the street...I can't tell you how much we enjoyed our trip. This is the place to stay... Compared to all the extras this place has to offer it is a steal for the rate... I can't wait to go back for another visit. I'm going to tell all my friends to stay here next time they visit NOLA. They usually stay at the "W."
the Basto's

Reviewed 5 November 2004

Most of my travels are for business, which usually dictates staying at a hotel near the convention, although I sometimes stay at a Bed & Breakfast. Recently, however, my husband and I and our son's family took a family week-end and stayed at the 1896 O'Malley House in New Orleans. A beautifully restored home, it is the most charming B&B I have EVER stayed in. Everything exudes elegance and attention to detail. The breakfast was sumptious, the hosts friendly and accommodating, the rooms comfortable and clean, the location handy to nearby landmarks and shopping, and the atmosphere relaxing. Amenities far exceeded our expectations. I would highly recommend this experience for anyone needing accommodations while in New Orleans.

• Stayed: March 2005