“Best in New Orleans”

Ranked #8 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
“Best in New Orleans”
Reviewed 2 December 2004

Our family had the opportunity to stay at The O'Malley House for 4 nights at Thanksgiving. All four rooms were fantastic. The mid-town location is convenient to anywhere in the city.

I can't say enough about the hospitality. Brad and Larry have provided an elegant yet comfortable setting. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms have everything you need. The breakfasts are a great way to start the day.

We will be taking advantage of their hospitality again. I would not hesitate to recommend The O'Malley house to anyone that is considering a visit to New Orleans.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Reviewed 29 November 2004

Gosh I don't know where to start.... Larry and Brad are the best.... very friendly. From the first day that we got there Larry & Brad treated us like we were family. Breakfast was the best part of the day. Larry is a great cook. Their dog Coty is great and very friendly, greeted us each time we came in. The place was immaculate!!!! Our room was beautiful and we were taken care of very well. We will be back and will suggest this place to everybody we know. Had a great time in New Orleans thanks to Larry & Brad. See you guys soon!!!!! Suzanne & Erik

Buffalo
Reviewed 28 November 2004

The 1896 O'Malley House was the best B&B we have ever stayed in and we have stayed in close to 100 of them. Brad and Larry are the perfect hosts, from arranging for tours to sitting around filling us in on New Orleans. The locations is perfect so close to the street car with great resturants within walking distance. The rooms were decorated great with the most incredible linens and towels. They also had a guest "kitchen" with stocked fridge, snacks, coffee, etc. The fridge included pop, wine & beer for the guests. Breakfast was awesome with a hot entree, biscuits, rolls, muffins all around one big table where everyone could get a chance to chat. One major advantage was the B&B was off the main street and was very quiet. Given we were there during a Harley Davidson Rally we really appreciated the location. Thanks Brad & Larry for our memorable trip to New Orleans!

Walden, NY
Reviewed 22 November 2004

Upon arrival we were welcomed by friendly Cody, the owner's golden retriever...somehow he knew we needed attention, as our beloved dog had just passed on. This trip was just for rest and relaxation and we had found the right b&b. Luxurious rooms, bedding, robes, sumptuous breakfasts and the evening chocolate covered strawberries were a small part of our stay. Our host, Brad, was very gracious and his recommendations for restaurants and attractions were on the button. New Orleans has great museums, atmosphere and a fun trolley car. We love traveling and staying at b&b's as you meet people from all over the world....at O'Malley's we met guests from Ottawa, Canada, England and Kansas City...interesting conversations were held.
Thanks Brad and Cody for giving us another wonderful memory...we'll see you again.
Paul and Christina

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2004

My husband and I decided to stay at 1896 O'Malley House after reading all the fantastic reviews here. I have to admit, I was somewhat skeptical that a place could really be so fabulous. Much to our happy surprise, it really is!

Bed and breakfasts can certainly vary, but my husband and I have found that several factors rank as most important: hospitality, ambience, the breakfasts (!), and location/convenience. Brad and Larry have outdone themselves on these fronts. They are by far some of the friendliest and most thoughtful owners we have as yet encountered. Everything is thought of, everything attended to. Both are endlessly upbeat and friendly, ready to help with anything you might want, or just to sit and chat. They truly created a homey and welcoming environment. They also went out of their way in helping me with our reservations. It wasn't easy. I needed the payment split between two payment sources, and extended our stay at the last minute. In all ways, they were fantastically accomodating. Indeed, everytime I called, they sounded happy to hear from me. Now, that's fantastic customer service.

The house is also stunning. I couldn't stop LOOKING. There are gorgeous antiques, decorations and woodwork everywhere. Indeed, there are 3 sparkling chandeliers downstairs - a perfect touch of elegance.

The location was great. It was away from the French Quarter, quiet when we wanted quiet. The streetcars apparently run endlessly, so we never had to worry about getting home. At times when we were lazy, we caught a cab, and the B&B is close enough that the fares were minimal. It is indeed in a lower SES neighborhood - but that's much of New Orleans, so I didn't think of it all that much. At one point I wondered if the B&B wasn't a bit of a ways out, but after riding the St. Charles street car out to the Garden District, I realized 1896 B&B is no farther away from the French Quarter than the Garden District is. My husband was adament - "No, this place is PERFECT," he said.

The breakfasts were yummy every day. we appreciated the fresh fruit. If I had one suggestion, and it's only a minor one, a little variety from day to day would have been great. Still, we enjoyed what was offered, and appreciated the snacks and extras left for the guests throughout the day.

In short, a fantastic experience (and I haven't even talked about the brillantly comfortable bed, the Wi-fi, and the whirlpool bath - great after a long day walking around the city). We'll be sure to stay there again and recommend it to all of our friends. Thanks Brad and Larry!

• Stayed November 2005, travelled on business
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 November 2004

If you are looking for a place to stay in New Orleans, do not look any further. You have found it!! Location is perfect.

My husband and I stayed at the O'Malley House after our cruise, Nov. 7 - 9. It is a charming restored house with clean, beautifully decorated rooms. The hosts provide bottled water, and turn down service with a chocolate dipped strawberry. Bathrooms are private and modern.

We enjoyed the "wildness" of the French Quarter (which is only a short street car away) but at night we also enjoyed a peaceful night sleep in a very comfortable bed. This place offers the best of both worlds!!

We used the Street car, it was alittle slow at times but we were never in much of a hurry. The neighborhood does offer a number of good restaurants. We walked to a couple during the evenings and felt safe enough.

Larry and Brad are the perfect hosts. Very informative, friendly and served a great breakfast. We felt as if we were visiting our friends.
Cody, their Golden Retriever is a sweetie. Personally, we thought he added to the house!!

The house offers a swing on the veranda to enjoy a glass of wine, comfortable sitting areas to read a book AND just ouside the front door is the wonderful city of New Orleans!!

We would highy recommend the O'Malley House and would definitely stay there again.
Thanks to Larry, Brad and Cody for a fantastic stay.

2 Thank Goldens98
Reviewed 15 November 2004

My husband and I had a great time at the O'Malley House. The rooms were beautiful and the chocolate covered strawberries added a nice touch. The breakfast and conversation was great. I highly recommend this place. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2004