“Prepare to be Comfortable”

1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Prepare to be Comfortable”
Reviewed 22 December 2004

We stayed at the O'Malley House for 4 nights in late November. The house has gorgeously high ceilings and a big center staircase with hardwood floors throughout. It has been beautifully restored and the rooms are immaculate and well-decorated, with fine furnishings, high beds, and expensive linens. Guests are treated to an evening turndown, complete with chocolates, and bathrobes are also provided in each room. Brad and Larry are friendly and helpful with all restaurant choices and tour information, and are as involved (or not involved) with your stay as you wish them to be. An excellent place to stay at a reasonable price. Get there before the prices go up.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Reviewed 21 December 2004

My husband and I celebrated our 20th Anniversary at the O'Malley. We could not have made a better choice. Brad and Larry (and Cody, the Golden Retriever) are wonderful hosts and offer everything necessary for a great vacation! We felt right "at home" upon entering the house and it only got better as the days passed . . . until it was time to go home. We did not want to leave. Breakfast was delicious and we enjoyed being pampered daily. We loved the O'Malley and highly recommend it. Thank you Brad and Larry. You made our anniversary very special!

Amsterdam, NL
Reviewed 21 December 2004

Let's get this straight, 1896 O'Malley House is the best place I've stayed this year! I travel globally for my work and usually stay in business class ('fancy' and more expensive) hotels (such as Sheratons, Ws, Hiltons etc), but staying with Brad, Larry and Cody (their cute dog) for 4 nights during a recent convention in NO was a seriously good decision.

The house: beautifully decorated throughout; my room was gorgeous, very comfy bed, spotlessly clean bathroom with tub and good shower.

The breakfast: you won't go hungry. A different hot dish each morning, coffee, tea, juice, plus fresh fruit, pastries and muffins. (Larry and Brad are up at the crack of dawn baking!). Have to mention the waffles in particular!

Facilities: free broadband wireless internet is available - Brad loaned me the WIFI card for the duration of my stay. If you don't have your own laptop, there's a PC in the hall for all guests to use. There's a guests' pantry too - complimentary hot drinks, sodas, beer and wine always available.

The location: great, away from the hustle and noise of Downtown, but still central enough to be in French Quarter etc in 10-15 mins. Equally pretty close to City Park too for other NO attractions.

Transport: streetcar is fine - admittedly it does stop more frequently than a European tram or metro - but at 12 USD for a 3-day pass who's complaining! A taxi from Downtown one evening set me back USD 7, which is also a snip when you think about it. Fixed fare to and from MSY airport - about 20-25 mins by taxi.

The hospitality: out of this world! In my experience with major hotels employees are only nice to you because they want a large tip, but with Brad, Larry and Cody it was different - they genuinely wanted me to enjoy my stay 100%. (Actually, Cody probably just wanted a friendly stroke, and wouldn't have come near me if I hadn't encouraged him!). Brad and Larry were knowledgeable (restaurant recommendations etc), very friendly but not at all overbearing, and it seemed to me that they run O'Malley House very professionally to great success. You only have to read the other reviews here on TripAdvisor, or the comments in their guest book for more evidence of that.

You'd be mad not to stay here!

• Stayed December 2004, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 December 2004

Beautiful room. Scrumptious breakfast. Even had a chocolate covered strawberry on my pillow at bed time. Easy access to delightful guests staying there, and as easy to be completely private when I wanted to be.

I stay in bed and breakfast places often. This is the best I have encountered.

Reviewed 16 December 2004

For the price, this place is a good deal. We paid a little over $100 for a large room with a great bathroom. Fantastic price in N'Awlins especially during a busy time in the city.

Pros: large room, marble bathroom with a jaccuzzi, great dog!, nice owners. In fact, the house itself could not be better. It was very quite too.

Cons: For me at least, an out-of-the-way location in a strange neighborhood. We also encountered friendly but somewhat inconsistent housekeeping. Great one day, didn't get any the next day! As others have said, you have to rely on the public trolley ("streetcar") which can be packed with rowdy schoolchildren and very slow at times. This was very irritating! Not the fault of the bed and breakfast people, of course, but something travelers should heed.

As you can see by other reviews this B&B has its fans and I, too, would probably return. Oh, and eat at Juan's Flying Burritto. Yummy!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 December 2004

Brad and Larry have out done themselves with 1896 O'Malley House. This beautifully restored home with friendly and accomodating hosts offers a wide range of amenities and reasonable prices. It should be on the list of "must see" attractions. We'd definately stay there again.

Reviewed 12 December 2004

No question, the best place to stay in New Orleans. Brad and Larry do a wonderful job at making you comfortable and suggesting restaurants and places to see. Their Bed and Breakfast is so clean, quiet and well decorated. Breakfast is scrumptious and I couldn't eat all that was offered! The convenience to the Canal Street Streetcar is a huge plus also. It was so comfortable to come home and enjoy a glass of wine and relax in the living room at the end of a busy day. I wish Brad and Larry continued success and when we return to New Orleans, we will only stay there.