“The perfect New Orleans accommodations”

and 1 more site!
1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 April 2010

I'll have to echo all of the glowing comments by others on this board. Larry and Ron were perfect hosts: relaxed, friendly, amusing, and knowledgeable. The house is gorgeous, chock full of antique furniture and pictures, hardwood floors and towering ceilings. The room and bathroom were beautiful. I slept like a rock.

The breakfasts were delicious, and we looked forward to sitting and chatting with Larry and the other guests at breakfast. We loved Larry's dry sense of humor.

The location is good. Just off Canal, which I found to be the main route into the city. The Parkway Bakery is nearby, with their famous Po-Boys. And the bread pudding there is to die for. City Park is also close, and that's well worth a few hours of leisurely strolling.

That was my second time in New Orleans, the first for my wife. We had a fabulous anniversary 4 day weekend. We were lucky to have the French Quarter Festival going on while we were there, with outstanding food and music. I love the food in New Orleans, and couldn't get enough red beans and rice and jambalaya. If you get a chance, check out Cafe Reconcile, just north of the Garden District. It's helps out troubled youth and uses them as servers. The kids were quite friendly and the food was excellent. We are definitely returning to New Orleans and will certainly return to O'Malley House.

1  Thank DawgPoundSouth

Reviewed 15 April 2010

My girlfriend and I and my brother and his girlfriend all traveled to NOLA this past February and had the pleasure of having Larry as our host. This B&B was awesome! Every day he cooked us up something special - and Larry is a great cook (included in the price btw). And Larry and his partner, Joey, know a ton about New Orleans - where to go, where to eat, cool things to see, etc., so they helped ensure we had a great time. I can't say enough about this place. Larry redid the B&B a few years ago and spared no expense or attention to detail. Overall just a great experience. New Orleans is a great city and Larry and Joey made it an even better trip. Far better than staying in a chain hotel along noisy Bourbon Street.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank jswire
Reviewed 15 April 2010

We had such an awesome experience. O'Malley B&B did a superb job making us so comfortable and had great conversations. It was like being at home. The southern hospitality was amazing. The B&B is beautiful and immaculate! I look forward going back. Thank you guys for the hospitality.

1  Thank jeffrey59
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Let's face it folks, men and women like different things. I was a little worried when my fiance made reservations at a B&B. I had previously never stayed at a bed and breakfast but had heard horror stories of sleeping in someone's spare room in their house.

This is NOT the case at the 1896 O'Malley House. It is a charming mansion with many of the original architectural stylings still visible. The decor is incredible. Larry and Ron were fun to be around both offering differing views of what's fun to do in the city. They were both witty and pleasant playing off each other like an old married couple. My fiance wanted to do romantic dinners and they were forthcoming with some awesome suggestions.

The city is very easy to navigate being right across the street from the trolley line. I also enjoyed their suggestions for things to do downtown when it rained on one of our days there.

The room was nice and the bathroom was huge. The bed was high up and roomy enough for my 6'3'' frame along with my fiance in the bed. The house was quiet and very clean.

The breakfast portion of the "bed and breakfast" was great also. I envisioned a hotel style buffet breakfast with cereal boxes and old bananas, but the staff prepared hot egg dishes everyday. The food was outstanding.

I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone looking to stay someplace that is truly "local". If you are looking for a charming getaway for two, this is the place.

And for the other men out there, trust me, you'll like this place!

1  Thank flmarch77
Reviewed 13 April 2010

This is my third time staying at the 1896 O'Malley House and as always it was fabulous. You feel like you are staying with friends and is much better than staying in a hotel. Larry, the owner, is very knowledgeable about the area and never fails to give me a spot on recommendation for a restaurant or even a good place to get a manicure. Beverages and snacks are available 24/7 at no extra cost. Beds are comfortable (I have stayed in three different rooms) and the decor is beautiful without the feeling that you can't feel "right at home". It has a neighborhood feel, right down to the porch swing (my favorite place to relax and have a cup of coffee). Parking is free, on the street right in front of the B&B. I will not stay anywhere else when visiting NOLA and recommend it to any who wants to visit.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank tshdc
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Still blearly eyed from my miserable experience at the O'Mally House. Where to begin: My family with a young teen and tween child and two adults were the only occupants on the third floor. The first night I was awakened when the bed shook as were my children. The tremors occured several times throughout the night and lasted for at least 30 seconds each time. It was unnerving to say the least. We asked about this in the morning and were told it happened all the time because the B&B is built on sand and it is worst on the 3rd floor. The manager's attitude (Ron) was completely uncaring and surly. Refused to move us. He was the person who made up the rooms and each day he replaced fewer and fewer towels such that their were none at all in my chldren's bathroom and no washcloths or bathmats in ours. I politely asked Ron for a washcloth and he rudely insisted that he replaced everything that was left for him in the hamper! As if we were stealing the towels.

At the conclusion of breakfast one morning Ron took out his Windex cleaner and intrusively sprayed the table while we were still sitting and talking to other guests. This seemed to be in keeping with a fussy attitude at this B&B. Even if we were not travelling with our children we would have found this place to be overly stuffy and pretentious.

The food was sub par. Shrivelled and cold mini sausages. Two consecutive days of egg concoctions that were watery and hard to swallow.

During a different breakfast one of the two proprieter, Brad, proceeded to insult my alma matter (Tulane) out of the blue. Saying it was an inferior school. He went on to say that he felt that Katrina did the city good as it reduced the overcrowed population in New Orleans. After this we weren't comfortable even eating the breakfast. Would have fled if we weren't there so briefly with our 2 kids.

We are baffled by the many trip advisor reviews praising the other owner, Larry. Maybe this place is having some kind of major problems that we bore the brunt of. The majority of reviews were not for families - clearly this is not a place for families with kids of any age. In any case, Larry left for his vacation home in the Smokey Mountains after the first day .

The room we were placed in was dusty with mounds of dust in the closet. Carpet in hall was thread bare in places.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
20  Thank momdoc3
1896omalleyhouse, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2010

I would like to apologize to all my guests staying with us the weekend these people where here.
I would also like to apologize to my staff for having to deal with them and the nasty insults they abused the staff with.

Reviewed 11 April 2010

In our years of traveling and staying at different B&Bs, our stay at the 1896 O'Malley House was one of the best we have ever had. Larry & his staff are incredibly warm, friendly, KNOWLEDGEABLE (he seemed to have a ready answer for all our questions) and welcoming hosts, as is his home, and he provides a truly unique & memorable B&B experience. On top of this, the full (not continental) breakfasts were some of the best we have had anywhere (we loved the flexible hours that we could eat, instead of adhering to a strict schedule as many B&Bs often do); the atmosphere was tranquil and relaxing, provided by the elegant, comfortable decor & classical music playing as we entered the house (a nice respite from the FQ busy-ness) after a long hot day of sightseeing. The location is convenient (10 minutes from the French Quarter) & we now love Mid-City with all of its GREAT choices for restaurants. We felt like locals by the end of our stay, oftentimes leaving our car parked at the B&B and taking the Canal streetcar a block away down to the FQ instead of fighting traffic & paying high parking fees. Perfect place, wonderful owner & insanely excellent amenities add up to only one thing: a repeat visit. Thanks, Larry, for playing such a large part in our NOLA fun this year! (Keep tickling those ivories!)

5  Thank janbo19