“A Few Minor Problems in an Otherwise Outstanding Stay”

Loews New Orleans Hotel
Ranked #16 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I arrived after a 6 hour drive and left my car with the valet. I sipped the fresh-squeezed fruit juice - a sweet blend of citrus fruits served ice cold - on offer at the registration desk while I checked in. I took my things up to Room 1806, with two queen beds and a lovely river view.

I stayed 3 days and enjoyed the trip immensely. A few highlights:

The bathroom switch worked only sporadically and required a call to engineering.

On checking in, I found that the luggage rack was broken and needed replacement.

Both problems were addressed within 30 minutes of my calling the front desk.

My first night, I returned to the room to find a half-bottle of wine and a plate of chocolate truffles on the table by the door. Puzzled, I called down to ask why this lovely gift had been left in my room along with a congratulatory card but the woman at the front desk had no idea. She called back a few minutes later with what she thought was the answer.

"Are you on your honeymoon, sir?"

"No, I'm here alone."

"Is it your anniversary?"

"It is not."

"Your birthday?"

"Nope."

"Hmm. The note here says that you're on your honeymoon."

"My wife would be very upset to hear that."

I offered to return the chocolate truffles and wine.

"Oh, no, sir. Consider it congratulations for choosing Loews."

Very nice, indeed.

Checkout was painless, other than the high price tag. I got my car and was deep into the Garden District for a stop at Whole Foods - they carry gourmet cheeses unavailable in East Texas - when I realized I'd left a pair of sport coats in my room. I called the hotel and, when I got there 15 minutes later, the coats were already waiting.

In fact, other than the ridiculous $12.95/day Internet charge for a slow connection, the $29.00/day parking fee, a fickle bathroom light, and a broken luggage rack, Loews impressed me. The staff was uniformly outstanding.

There was one other potential hitch: I signed up for their rewards program on my second night, only to learn that my stay at the NOLA wouldn't be credited as the rewards number wasn't attached to my reservation before check-in. So be sure to use your rewards number when making the reservation.

When I got a survey the next day, I complained about this and the other minor quibbles. The hotel manager contacted me directly and said he'd credited my stay and promised an upgrade for my next visit. I wrote back asking how to claim the upgrade but haven't yet heard back. Nonetheless, I appreciated his response and was impressed that he took customer feedback seriously.

The small problems did nothing to take the shine off the hotel. Assuming I had the means, I would stay here again without hesitation. It's a refreshing break from the big corporate chains and a reasonably-priced alternative to the Ritz.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JYJ101
Jerry R, Director of Rooms at Loews New Orleans Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback.

We are very happy that you enjoyed your experience in New Orleans. We would like the opportunity to speak to you further about the opportunities you experienced while with us. Please contact us at neworleanscustomerservice@loewshotels.com so that we may discuss these at your convenience. We pride ourselves in ensuring an enjoyable experience and would love the opportunity to address the challenges during your visit.

Jerry Reyes
Director of Rooms

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Hotel is conveniently located near Harrahs, the Riverwalk and Bourbon Street. Easy and safe walk. Hotel staff was great. Hotel room was very nice. Great coffee in the room and the room service was fabulous! Would definetly stay here again. Only negative was we had a charge from the minibar even though we never used it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Houstonian2011
Reviewed 18 February 2012

No surprises here. Definitely a safe choice if this is your price range. Rooms are clean and nicely done up, granite counters in the bathroom, etc., etc. Check-in and check-out completely professional and the staff are nice. Location is perfect for the casino--otherwise you're walking a bit to just about everything. The good news is that just about everything is within walking distance--the quarter's over there, Riverwalk is that way, those great restaurants are back there, John Besh's August is VERY close, and heck Mother's is just across the street. (I am a HUGE Mothers fan--go *there* for breakfast if you're in the hotel for a convention). Oh, and if you've never been to Capdeville for a lunch that'll knock your socks off--it's just around the corner.

A couple of hints: Like a lot of expense-account properties, Loews still hasn't figured out that WiFi should be free. Heck, they've got hard-wired Ethernet in every room, but they still want to charge for basic connectivity? <Sigh.> And there was no convenience store in the lobby area. So if you need a tube of toothpaste or somethin', your closest place to buy it is the Staybridge hotel about a half a block north.

Huge plus: What a great view of the mighty Mississippi! I definitely enjoyed my stay, the place was quiet, comfortable, well appointed and exactly what you expect from a Loews.

Room Tip: I don't know if you can, but maybe you can ask for a room with a river view. That turned out to...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank 4allisons
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We just returned from a 2 night stay at this fine hotel.Our room was lovely- well appointed, quiet & confortable with a nice view of the river.We found the hotel's location very convenient. The convention center , Riverwalk & the French Quarter were all within walking distance.

The hotel staff, from the front desk clerks to the doormen, were pleasant & attentive.The concierges were cheerful & helpful. James deserves particular mention ,as he helped us track down a leather jacket we had inadvertently left at a cafe earlier in the day. I only remembered the cafe's approximate location .James used the computer to determine which one it was & then called for us to confirm that the jacket was there. We picked it up the next day - much to our relief...
We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to New Orleans.

Room Tip: The riverside was very nice.We were on the 14th floor & it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Elizabeth R
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Have stayed here 3 times over past few years. The location can't be beat. I have stayed in the French Quarter several times and it is just too loud and crowded for me. The is within easy walking distance of the French Quarter as well as the Aquarium, the Algiers Ferry, the Riverwalk, and many restaurants. The rooms are spacious and clean. The bathrooms are large compared to many other hotels. Beds are comfortable. Front desk, Concierge, Bellman, Food Service have all been quick and reliable. The Fitness Center is adequate as is the indoor pool. There is a nicely decorated and comfortable lobby/bar. Atmosphere is nice for both families and business. If you are looking for something a little more hip and trendy there is a W across the street.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank alostyankee
Reviewed 27 January 2012

This is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in New Orleans. Very clean, our room even smelled fresh! The coffee maker in the room was great! The staff was excellent. Didn't get to swim in the pool but it looked very nice. The bed was comfy, and the sheets were too. We had a Deluxe King which had a awesome view. I ordered roomservice which was pretty good. I will be returning to this hotel every chance I get. (The only negetive is 38$ parking.)

Room Tip: You can park 2 blocks away for 22$.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Starfish138
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We arrived on a Friday for 2 nights to attend a Mardi Gras Coronation. Reservations were made through Harrahs in both my husband and my name. I called on Friday morning to confirm that I would be able to check in without my husband and Crantell (front desk clerk)said that I could check in without my husband only to get there and be told that my husband needed to be present. Waste of my time. On Saturday housekeeping left no face towels upon servicing our room. The most serious problem came at 1:00a.m. on Sunday morning when trying to open our door. Neither key worked, the front desk couldn't open it, nor security or maintance. After 2 hours of standing in hallway in tux and evening dress, our door was opened but we couldn't have keys. Maintenance tried twice to open our door after telling them to just wait till after we left in the a.m. The hotel couldn't give any answers as to why and only had 1 front desk clerk and bellman on a Saturday night. Our rooms were comped so they could only offer us a breakfast in their rest. No further stay could be offered.

HANDLED VERY POORLY! THE HOTEL WAS BEAUTIFUL UNTIL THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH GETTING BACK IN OUR ROOM.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple