“Great Hotel, Bad Rooms”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sacramento, California
“Great Hotel, Bad Rooms”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This property has it all: great location, friendly service, a beautiful lobby, top rate restaurants, beautiful views, a spa, conference rooms, and a salt water pool.

The Five Star Alliance lists the Loews as a five star property. My experience was closer to four-star.

While this hotel has all the great amenities I have listed above, our visit was ruined by the smell in our room. It appears that the hotel is a converted office building. As such, the windows do not open and there is no ventilation in the shower area. This means that all of the moisture created by the shower stays in the room with nowhere to go. As a result, our room had a consistently musty smell for the whole of our three night stay. The smell, to a lesser degree, permeated the entire room.
I noticed the same smell around the city, in a hall at Tulane University, at the airport, and even in my car after the air conditioner had not been run for a while. While the creation of the smell is an act of nature and the hotel is not responsible, they should have measures in place to create an environment where the smell cannot be created. This fact alone quite simply ruined our stay.

Also, although my party consisted of two teenagers, there was never any mention of the Loews Loves Kids program (the website had mentioned music download cards would be given). I would have been disappointed if I had ever expected them to come through on that promise, which I never did.

Everything else about the room and the property was fantastic. Our view was great and I doubt you'll ever find bigger guest rooms. I just really hope that through renovation or some change the Loews can get rid of the musty smells which are tying this property down.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views. Be sure your view includes the Mississippi. Largest guest rooms in t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Kristen F, Manager at Loews New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Dante M,

Thank you for choosing Loews New Orleans Hotel during your recent trip to New Orleans. Customer feedback is important to us, so thank you for taking time to let us know our compliments and concerns. I will let our housekeeping and engineering departments know of your comments, with regard to your room. If your travels ever bring you back to New Orleans, we would love for you to give us another change, so we can exceed your expectations!

Happy Travels,
Kristen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have stayed at the property twice and they always deliver. Very polite service. We will continue to stay at Loews hotel when we're in town.
Great atmosphere great cocktails and always friendly service.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kristen F, Manager at Loews New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Kip B,

Thank you for continuing to choose Loews New Orleans Hotel when you travel to the Big Easy! I will pass on your kind words to our staff. We hope to see you in our hotel, enjoying a cocktail, again soon!

New Orleand
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I was on a business trip and really appreciated the friendly and helpful staff. This is a great location close to the french quarter but also has a very nice restaurant and bar if that is not your choice. Rooms were very comfortable and service was excellent.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Johan T,

Thank you for taking time to review Loews New Orleans Hotel. We're happy you had a positive experience, during your business trip. We're glad you experienced Cafe Adelaide and the Swizzle Stick Bar. Hopefully you tried an Adelaide Swizzle, the bar's signature drink! Hope to see you again soon!

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My stepdaughter recently got married and The Loews New Orleans was the hotel for the entire bridal party and all out of town guest. From the moment we walked in till the moment we checked out the experience was amazing.
The attention to detail, the VIP treatment, the beauty of the lobby, the rooms, the bar and restaurant, even the smell of the hotel was beautiful. If you haven't been, go and see what I am talking about.
The bridal suite was perfect. The tall windows over looking the river made for a perfect backdrop for pictures and was so spacious. Anything we needed was provided. We requested tall bar stools for the makeup artist and they were delivered on the morning of the wedding. Chairs with low backs as requested by the hairstylist, also delivered as promised. The suggestion for us to use the lobby of the 10th floor was brilliant. The entire room is floor to ceiling windows over looking the river and city. Our photographer was in heaven.
All of our guests told us they felt pampered and had spacious immaculate rooms with amazing views.
The service was 5 star from start to finish.
Without having to ask, the concierge and staff orchestrated the lining up of the limos and coordinated and assisted the timely departure of our guests and assured the lobby was cleared before the bridal party arrived in the lobby to load the limos to depart. The little things that could have gone wrong were all avoided thanks to the attention to detail, coordination and planning that the hotels entire staff provided.
I cant wait to treat myself to a "stay-cation" at The Loews. I plan on treating myself to services at the beautiful spa and fitness center and enjoying a few laps in the indoor pool. The only problem is it is very tempting to never leave the hotel!!!!

Room Tip: Not one of our out of town guests had anything negative to say about any of the rooms. I cant make a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear carolrb61,

Thank you for choosing Loews New Orleans Hotel as the hotel-of-choice for your stepdaughter's wedding. We are thrilled everything went off without a hitch! The fact we were able to take off some of the pressure from her Big Day, thrills us! I will pass on your kind words to all of our departments. We hope to see you again soon for your staycation!

Happy Travels and Congratulations!
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were there for a family wedding event. The several families were accommodated in a way that gave us both privacy and togetherness. Rooms were great, service extraordinary. Good food! The days flew by. We would love to go back for just a good old fashioned New Orleans visit. One extra thing: I left an expensive Blue Tooth behind and didn't find that out for a day. Called the hotel, security had it and kept it for me til I picked it up. That speaks to honest housekeeping staff, and that has not been our experience everywhere.

Room Tip: Ours was on the 20th floor - worked well for us.
Green Features: We always take care of our own bed and room, asking for service only as we would handle it in our home. Save the planet!

Dear Judith L,

Thank you for choosing Loews New Orleans Hotel for your recent wedding stay. We're glad you had both privacy and togetherness - the perfect combination! I will let our Housekeeping Department heads know of your compliments. We hope to see you again soon, for your "good old fashioned New Orleans visit."

Virginia, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I visited the property for business purposes and was extremely pleased with my overall experience at the property. I found all staff to be extremely professional, accommodating and appreciative of my business. I truly felt like the staff tried to anticipate my needs. I will recommend this property and they have earned my loyalty for future visits to New Orleans.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Anna G,

What a wonderful review! We are so happy we were able to contribute to your successful business meeting. I will be sure to let our staff know of your kind words- we think they're pretty great, too! We can't wait to see you again soon, for business or for fun!

Happy Travels,
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Everything was easy and exceptional! I loved the black out curtains and soft down pillows! We just needed a break from the hustle and bustle of working in the city! Super quiet and relaxing! I would recommend the Loews to anyone looking to have a great location, amazing food, and extremely relaxing!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank Billy M. Iii L
Dear Billy M. lii L,

We're thrilled you had a wonderful staycation with us! There's nothing better than exploring your own city. Thank you for choosing Loews New Orleans Hotel to be your relaxation destination! Customer recommendation is one of our favorite compliments! We hope you continue to think of us for staycations and other Loews properties for when you're traveling.

Hope to see you again soon!