“Great Staycation Destination”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ponchatoula, LA
“Great Staycation Destination”
Reviewed 17 March 2009

I had the privledge to stay at the Loews this past weekend on a staycation. We were upgraded to one of the largest rooms I had the pleasure to enjoy - the seating area with two queens was perfect for my wife, three kids, and I. Great location for going to the aquarium, bug museum, and getting on the streetcar to go get some beignets. My kids loved the indoor pool. Love the bellstaff, they were very friendly, loved the breakfast buffet - the omelet man was great!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
WorldWideTraveler
Reviewed 5 March 2009

First off, it was Mardi Gras in the middle of the 3 days I stayed but that should have no bearing on the concerns I have with Loews.
Internet costs $12.95 a day?!? Are you serious?!? This is not an inexpensive hotel and to have a cash grab such this, truly annoying.
More than one other person in the group I was with was improperly billed on the minibar in the room. I took nothing but got a bill which was reversed when I protested. Another money grab?
Finally, the coffee and paper cups for the morning beverage were not replenished once in 3 days. I suppose that being Mardi Gras the real mugs were locked up for safe keeping but they took the used paper cups and left me with nothing! I stayed for another week in New Orleans and was happy to be at another hotel that was infinitely more accomodating with free internet, resupplied amenities and infinitely friendlier service at less than half the cost and only a short distance away.
The lounge and restaurants were overpriced and service was poor, yes I mentioned it was Mardi Gras but people were not even particularly friendly, more exhasperated or annoyed at working and not partying perhaps?
I really have nothing positive to say, I was happy to be out of there.

3 Thank GoesFar
FLORIDA
Reviewed 28 February 2009

Stay here only for the location, it has a nice view of New Orleans and isn't far from the French Quarter. Parking is $30 for valet which basically you have to use and you have to unload and load up on busy Poydras street. The staff AREN'T friendly or helpful at all!!! The tub was dirty, and be prepared if you take a shower to have it fluctuate on you. The room is nothing to write home about...it's small and it has no amenities but a single cup coffee or tea maker. We got in late and were tired so we ordered room service...be prepared to spend $$$ for cold food. If you want to spend ALOT of money for BAD SERVICE and NOTHING EXTRA (surprised they don't charge for ice) then this is the place for you.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank GRAVITON
VA
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Got assigned here by my company during a meeting (one of the few times they don't let me pick my own place). No way did they get their money's worth. This is a place that thinks it's all that, but really isn't. There's a fancy bathroom (though, luckily, I had mouthwash from a Holiday Inn Exp, since Loews doesn't provide) and a comfortable bed (though the pillows are all mush), the TV has a good selection and it is a big room. But are you spending so much time there that you need all the space? Didn't pay for Internet, which a colleague says runs around $14/day.

Got put in a riverview room. About a block away there are freight tracks. Trainspotters will love it, though no one else will be thrilled as the trains honk at a crossing at the bottom of Poydras St. This goes on at all hours.

Also, had some drunks in the hallway a couple of nights. Suppose it comes with being in New Orleans at Mardi Gras.

Clerk at check-in was bored by the whole thing. Better on check-out, but they had never slipped a bill under the door and the "check folio" option on the TV never worked the entire time I was there. This meant spending more time on the way out to review the bill.

Another colleague was also surprised to find a place like this is pet-friendly. She isn't, and wasn't amused.

If this is your cup of tea, I'm sure you'll be pleased. But if you're seeking value on your own dime, keep looking.

3 Thank HonestReviewForU
North Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 18 February 2009

Can't comment on value, as the tab for my one-night stay was picked up by others. The hotel was beautiful (with the exception of a very ordinary bathtub), but the staffing was poor. They asked me upon arrival if I wanted the Wall St. Journal delivered. I did, I replied. It never came. I put out the hang-tab for breakfast at 10PM; at 6AM the next morning, when breakfast didn't come, I opened my door and the hang-tab was still there. And only after I emerged from the shower did I discover that my room lacked a hair dryer -- when I phoned to inquire, they doubted me and had me look in four places (with wet hair) before they brought one up. Unacceptable in a super elite hotel, don't you think?

2 Thank NorthPotomac
New Orleans
Reviewed 30 January 2009

I love the location of this hotel and usually like staying here, but I guess they were having an off day this time. When I arrived the staff seemed irritated that I was not going to park my car there. The room was big and seemed clean, but had carpet stains. The room service has changed menus. I recall getting it before and the food was very good, now it is just standard and many items can't be ordered after midnight. Internet access is around $15. I asked for and was given a late checkout, but staff banged on my door twice to see when I was leaving ( I still had an hour before checkout!) I stay often in New Orleans and usually try to stay here, but may go somewhere else next time. If the rates are good I'll give it another try, but there are several good hotels in the area that aren't quite so pricey. I do like the Swizzle Stick Bar in the lobby, the drinks are quite good (as they should be at $10 or more each) Cafe Adelade is a very good restaurant as well.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank alyson003
Bahamas
Reviewed 25 January 2009

Stayed at this hotel with my husband and 5 year old January 16 to 18 2009. Our experience was wonderful, the room was great, every staff we dealt with was very helpful and professional. The hotel was very clean, the spa was fantastic, and the overall experience was one we would not mind repeating, I have already recommended this hotel to my friend and would stay here again if or when I return to New Orleans. Well worth the price.

Travelor from The Bahamas

• Liked — comfortable and safe
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family