“Good location, clean, clueless/helpless service”

Harrah's New Orleans
Ranked #11 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Harrah's had a good location, it was clean. Expect to walk ALOT if you stay here which is normal for new orleans. However, when we made our reservations, we were told that we would get a two bed suite and could get a fold out bed because it was five of us. No problem, right? WRONG. We got two beds in a regular room and couldn't get a fold out bed due to fire codes. They were booked up and couldn't give us another room. So we decided to make a bed on the floor. We asked for extra bedding and pillows and they were saying we could't get them. They didn't give a reason really just that it was too much of a request. Now, it was five adults traveling and we would of happily got two rooms BUT we were told that that wasn't necessary. The people were nice but quite helpless and clueless. My only other gripe would be that they didn't have a pool or hot tub. Also, we weren't in the center of the action. The hotel sits a few blocks away but that didn't stop people for being extremely loud while walking up and down the halls. So expect to be woke up at three in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (5,734)

Reviewed 3 April 2011

I decided at the last minute to go to New Orleans on a comp from Harrah's. I left Philadelphia Thursday night and flew into New Orleans at 8:30. I limo was waiting for me at the Airport...how nice was that! When I arrived at the Hotel check in was all but five minutes. I have a Seven Star card so maybe that had something to do with it, but I also saw other guest and they all seem to be getting very good attention also. I went straight to my room to drop my bag off and another surprise awaited me. As soon as I opened the door I saw a beautiful basket with goodies on the wall table. I walked down the hall and into a beautiful suite. It was so nice; I wish someone else was there to see it.
This is the second visit to New Orleans and both times I stayed at Harrah's. The room before this was very nice also; two queen beds and a large bathroom. This time the suite had a bathroom that was as large as my bedroom at home. A nice soaking tub and a separate glass shower, a built in white marble vanity with two sinks and stool between them. The entrance was through the bedroom.
I don't think I can return without having this room. Everything went so well on this short trip. I had a comp for the buffet Thursday night. Friday night I had another comp for dinner at one of the restaurants Harrah is affiliated with so I chose Besh Steak House. It was a great surf and turf dinner.
I had a wonderful night’s sleep and woke Friday morning feeling so rested. The bed was comfortable the pillows nice. I took a shower and went down to Canal Street for a walk. I have to say that every time I entered or left the property the employees at Harrah’s where always greeting me with a smile. A nice touch especially since was alone. I stopped at CVS to buy bubble bath so I could relax in the tub before going out Friday night; I just could not leave without getting in that ceramic beauty.
I spent most of Friday night in the Casino which is directly across the street from the hotel. You can either cross the street or use the underground tunnel to get there. I felt very safe even at 2:00 am.
My wakeup call came at 4:30 Saturday morning. I showered and dressed quickly, took the elevator to the lobby and had them print my boarding pass. The limo driver was waiting inside the lobby and we left in a gorgeous stretch. We pulled up to the airport at 5:30. My flight too off on time and I was back in Philadelphia by 10:30.
I can’t wait to go back – It just might be in a few weeks…..miss you Nola.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Barbara R
Reviewed 23 March 2011

After reading some of the reviews was not sure what to expect. When my wife and I checked in the clerk was very friendly and asked if we wanted a high or lower room. We asked for a high room with a view. Upon entering our room on the 24th floor we were amazed at the beautiful view of the Mississippi River. The room was very clean and the King Size bed very comfortable. We were glad to see that the room contained a refrigerator and safe. The bath was large and we enjoyed the glassed shower and large tub. I was attending a conference at the Hilton and found the walk to be a very easy block.

The underground walk-way to the Casino was nice and made it very easy to get to. The parking was not as complicated as some reviews tried to make it. All you had to do is gamble 30 minutes within 24 hours of the time that you are taking the car out. There is a kiosk near the escalators to the underground walk-way. Slide your total rewards card through that and if you qualify you will receive a ticket for free parking. Very convenient. We ate at the buffet just because it was convenient and found it good but not outstanding. With all the great New Orleans restaurants though; who wants to eat in the Casino very often. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank CardFanDubG
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Awesome good time in the Big Easy!!!
we stayed for almost a week and enjoyed the great food, great people, & fun atmosphere. The rooms are very comfortable, very attentive staff, wish the hotel had a pool or area to relax outdoors. They offered the indoor pool at a hotel next door with a $10 charge. Other than that, it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Bruce G
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I travelled to New Orleans from Dallas by road on March 12th and stayed at J.W Marriott few blocks away from Harrah's, I like to gamble while i am on leisure travel so Harrah's was a great opportunity, after reading reviews from trip advisor which i use very frequently when i am travelling to different destination so i dont waste my time and go to the right place, but i made an exception and still went to Harrah's Casino despite so many negative reviews. Harrah's is a good casino, its well kept and it looks as good as casinos in Las Vegas, Dealers are very friendly and they truly have a great crowd that goes there.. its a mix of older and middle age people having drinks and having a good time. as soon as you walk in, they check your I.D and make sure you are legal to gamble, to some people it must be annoying but i love the fact that they have people on their payroll, making sure only right people enter their facility and yes they run your driver liscense into three different things to make sure its not a fake I.D as most of us know, how easy it is to get a fake I.D.
Everybody wears a name tag and a bage which says " did i provide you with A+ Service", looks like the things have started to change, they are trying their best to elevate service, But the drink service was really slow, i couldnt get a drink on a roulette table for good 30-45 min wait on three ocassions i was there. On their end, they have Iphones and guest service managers on the floor taking orders but it is not working for some reason, they need to change that system and just assign servers on certain areas of the casino.
Other than that, i had a great time at this casino, they have a poker room a really big one, a bar with poker machine, huge selection of slots, roulette table, black jack tables and anything you can think of. Over all my experience was really great because of the friendliness of the staff and genuine concern and care they provided even when i complained and they tried harder to fix the issue. I will be back at Harrah's when i come next time to New Orleans.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2011

We have stayed at Harrahs New Orleans 3 or 4 times in the last two years and absolutely love the hotel. We were fortunate enough to score one of the corner suites that others have referred to on our first visit and were really reluctant to return home. I actually look forward to the beds (which are available for purchase) and I keep threatening to order one .

The hotel is fairly small, with almost a boutique feeling---excellent service, no waits, beautiful, well stocked rooms, soft towels and robes. The things some may find lacking--no newsstand or gift shop, no coffee shop, for example, did not bother us at all. For a quick "grab" there is a Starbucks and gift shop in the casino (accessible through a tunnel) and all of New Orleans is just out the front door. The hotel is located on the edge of the Warehouse District, which has its own character and cultural appeal---much nicer in many respects than the craziness of the French Quarter---which is just a few blocks away. I left the "value" section blank because we have been comped, but I will be returning to New Orleans on business in September and I expect to pay for my stay...and be just as satisfied.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Let me qualify this review by noting our stay was comped. That's why the value rating is only average. I Don't think I would pay the $200+ a night they want through the website. That being said, It was a very nice hotel room. spacious bathroom, work desk and couch with coffee table perfect for room service. the view of the city and the sunset was awesome, unless your an early riser and enjoy sunrises, then ask for a river view. The room would proabaly be considered a "mini' suite in other hotels. The only drawback was the air seemed heavy/muggy but dry at the same time no matter where we put the t-stat. The staff was super friendly always saying "have a nice day" on your way out in the morning, and "welcome back "in the eve. Room service seemed steep even by room-service standards. Two cheeseburgers set us back about $45. I'm almost certain the food comes from the gordon biersch restaurant downstairs, as the $20 dollars "buffalo style wings" I ordered came in a asian sauce. the one and only kind they serve at the restaurant. If it's before midnight, your better of f calling in a take out order to the restaurant and running down yourself. I'll keep that in mind for next time, as we can't wait to return to the beautiful city of new orleans and Harrah's!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple