“Still great” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston
“Still great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Second time at this great place and want to say once again how nice it is. However, I'd like to point out that the police close the streets around this area for the "Parades" this time of year. We could not get to the garage on Convention St and had to park at the Hilton garage two blocks over. When we called the desk to ask how to get to the hotel to drop off our bags (and an 85 year old) they said we were just out of luck and should wait four hours until the "floats" had been removed from around the hotel. This area is the terminus for some of the parades I guess.
We just parked and walked with our bags and mom.

Just a heads up if you go around Mardi Gras time.

Room Tip: This time our room faced toward the super dome and was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,087)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

I have stayed at the Harrahs Hotel in New Orleans many times before. The staff is excellent but the property is now not being kept up and repairs and cut backs are obvious.
How bad was it. The bed sheets were clean but had holes in them...yes holes!
The hutch in front of the television Haida huge piece of wood missing. The clock was missing from the room and the make up mirror had also disappeared. That was just the start. Carpets had stains and basically the room looked "old"
We were in a suite! I'm fearful of how a regular room would look
If you can stay else where for the same or less you are better off
We issued to love to stay here.
Too bad.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jerry U
Goffstown, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

I booked our room July 29, 2012. I booked 4 nights and received them complimentary due to my play status at Harrah's. We arrived at the registration desk at 3:50 on Monday 2/4/2012. My room was not ready and I was told to come back in 2 hours. Since I stay at other Harrah's properties frequently, they generally reserve the same type of room for me, high floor, king near elevator and a view. We checked our bags and came back in 2 hours. To my dismay, our room still was not ready. At this point I'm thinking how far in advance do I need to book in order to get what I am accustomed to. By 6:45, I finally had my room. It was on the 9th floor with a view of the parking garage. I was not pleased. I called the front desk and asked to be changed...was told there was nothing else available but they could check for me the next day. On Tuesday, I went back down to the front desk 4 different times after 11:00 check out and was continually told no other rooms were available. I was not happy, but felt defeated and did give up trying. This was the negative part of our trip. I have to say, the room was well appointed, and clean. The bed was comfortable and the housekeeping service was very good. The doormen were extremely friendly. There is a warmth to the people of New Orleans that isn't found in other parts of the country. We stay in Atlantic City quite often and there is no comparison to the friendliness of the locals in NOLA. We will go back, but next time I will insist on the type of room I prefer.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
The Colony, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

If you visit Nola this is the perfect location. You are in the downtown, many things are walking distance. If you get a players card, parking is free. The rooms are great and the price is right. Check in was smooth and they answered all our questions.

• Stayed February 2013
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

This hotel is very clean and well maintained. The staff is friendly and very professional. The rooms are very spacious and the view is spectacular. Bathrooms were amazing and the beds were very comfortable. Ruth Chris Steak House is located in the lobby, and there are other restaurants surrounding the hotel and casino. I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ChelseaNicole7
Lakeville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

We booked almost three months in advance of our stay. I received several emails from Harrah's leading up to our stay offering suggestions for dining and things to do. We flew in a day early of our cruise to see the city and visit the casino. First impressions of the property were very positive and the close proximity to the cruise terminal and the casino were fantastic. As we began the check in process, we were told there was a note on our file and a manager was needed, after waiting over 20 minutes we were told, sorry a pipe has broken in your room and we need to send you elsewhere. WHAT? after another 20 minute wait, as the faxed information to Loews, we were told head across the street. No offer of assistance with our bags.... Once we arrived at Loews there was no paperwork from Harrahs and again we waited. As a diamond member who has been very loyal to this chain and brand over the years, I'm rethinking my loyalty. On he upside Loews was amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BeachedGirl
essex jct vt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

A nice hotel and everyone was friendly and helpful. We arrived early and room was not ready but they took our phone number and within thirty minutes we had the call we were all set - this just the day after the superbowl and the lobby was buzzing with all sorts of people. The rooms are clean and good size and location was excellent - so easy to get where ever we wanted to go.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends