“It was nice”

Harrah's New Orleans
Ranked #11 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 September 2013

First let me admit that I was in this room as a comp. from their casino. I have only been to New Orleans twice, and last time I had stayed in La Quinta down the street. It was a nice room. It beat out the La Quinta I stayed at last time in most aspects. My La Quinta stay included the shooting of the American Heist film right in front of the hotel, while this trip included a lot of PAs and movie people throughout the hotel as the shooting for the "Focus" film was taking place. I think Harrah's handled it a lot better -that I ran into a few actors as I was leaving. Very close to the casino, and very friendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (5,518)

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We were in an upgraded Suite for four nights and enjoyed the room! The décor was beautiful and the bathroom (s) were to die for! We had a corner suite so we had a good view of the West and also the Mississippi River from the 19th floor. This is just a HOTEL - no food, no frilly lobby - just a Hotel. Across the street at the Casino is all the other stuff.....food, and fun. Also, Fulton street is behind this hotel and there are lots of great places to eat there. The French Quarter was a quick 10 minute walk away or you could always access the Riverwalk Trolley Car for a $3.00 pass to go all over the city for 24 hours - an excellent way to see NOLA, the Garden District and the Riverwalk. The aquarium is close by and there is so much to see and do within walking distance, I couldn't begin to list! The door staff was very accommodating and was always there to help with luggage and doors. The only thing I could fault them on is that our first night there they did not have maid service for the room the next day - I don't know why. I slept in the other bed (there were 2 Q beds in my suite) the second night because I HATE to sleep in an unmade bed - won't do it at home - certainly NOT doing it in a hotel either! I think they just overlooked it - but they did come by to offer "turn down service" and nightly chocolate! I loved the central location of this establishment.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dasco474
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I was surprised when I stayed at this hotel. I had a suite that cost over $500 per night and couldn't believe how little there was for this. There is no amenities anywhere. The lobby has only a registration desk. You can't get coffee anywhere close before 7am. There are no newspapers available - even to purchase. You get a warm bottle of water in the room - for $6. We had a beautiful view of the river, but the inside of the windows had handprints. The carpet in the main room was really stained. We got turndown service, sometimes. There was a train that went by at 3am.

Just didn't measure up. There are plenty of other places to stay.

However, the people who work there from the valet to the desk were very friendly.

Room Tip: Get a view of the river.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Erin D
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Loved how clean and comfortable this hotel was. My room didn't have a flat screen, updated TV but was one of the best places I've stayed while in NOLA. Not in the French Quarter but the Casino, so close, adds a different fun to the trip! Not far from the French Quarter.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We made reservations via telephone.

Questions asked was how far was it from the warf, they said we could see it from the room we booked, We could only see the wall of the building next door.

We asked if French Quarters was close, they said "oh yes, it's only a few blocks". French quarters may have been "in walking distance" for a marathon runner but it was over a mile and we were ringing wet wth sweat by the time we got there.

Other than that the hotel was OK especially if you gamble but don't lose your parking ticket or you will get hosed big time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ed twodawgs H
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Recently stayed at Harrah's for a week and had a wonderful stay. The staff was so helpful giving us directions and a map whenever we needed it. The room was immaculate and had a beautiful view of the "mighty" Mississippi. The hotel is in a perfect location - 10 minute walk to the French Quarter, trolly stop right across the street, great shopping right outside the door ! What's really nice is that the casino is set away from the hotel which means you do not have to walk thru the casino to get to the hotel lobby. I would highly recommend this hotel. The only drawback is that the hotel does not have a pool. Since we visited in July, it would have been nice to take a dip in a pool after a long, hot day of sightseeing. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank patmac61
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Hotel room was nothing great, though it is a new construction. View of the dilapidated city was depressing, request to upgrade or change room were disregarded even though I had a seven day stay at regular rate. The NO experience and choice of restaurants and food made up for the poor in room/ hotel stay. The restaurants associated with the hotel were all awesome. Casino was average and nothing spectacular. Would consider going back if get a discounted or upgraded room. Hotel service / front desk /In room service was below average. Location about a mile from French quarter though is walkable. Neighborhood was decent though common areas and lobby in late evenings would get little indecent and maybe drunk.

Room Tip: upgrade if available - probably facing the front street of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business