“You NEED to stay here!”

Auld Sweet Olive Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My mother and I travelled to New Orleans for the July 4th Long Weekend. I booked the hotel online with no problems and promptly received a confirmation email from the owner, Nancy. The day we arrived Nancy met us at the B&B, she gave us a tour of the lovely home and provided us with maps and information on the general area. We stayed in the Sweet OIive Room, like the other rooms we had a private bath with full tub and shower but we had our own out door sitting area. Each room also has control of their own AC which came in handy when it was nearly 40 degrees Celsius! House keeping was on site daily to clean the room and provide fresh linens if needed. Every morning we were served a delicious breakfast, daily we had yogurt, granola, cereal, fresh baked goods, bagels, toast, juice, coffee and tea. Every morning there was a different hot dish, we had keish, a peach crisp, a savoury breakfast bake among others! We also had access to a library full of books, you can borrow them or keep them and are encouraged to leave a book behind if you have, there were also a number of board games available to play. We thought this was pretty neat and came in handy as there was no tv. The B&B as fully booked as it was a long weekend, despite this, it was always quiet. I know some gals were attending concerts and coming in late but I never heard a sound. We had a great sleep every night in our king size bed. Water pressure is great. The shampoo and conditioner that is provided is waaaay better than your typical "hotel quality junk", I used it daily.
The B&B is conveniently located about 9 blocks from the French Quarter. We walked day and night, passing through Frenchman Street (known for its live music) and never had any issues. We checked with some local police to make sure walking our route at night was safe and he assured us it was. The benefit to being out of the French Quarter is you can still enjoy the liveliness of the area but when its bed time...you get to sleep in peace and quiet.
On the day of our departure Nancy was there to see us off. She called a cab for us, they arrived on time and we were off to the airport.
A few weeks after returning home I received a lovely, personalized thank you card. It is the added touches like that which encourage me to stay at Bed and Breakfasts.
I highly recommend the Sweet Auld Olive, you will not be disappointed .

Room Tip: If you are travelling with a number of people, the back of the home has been made into a suite with...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank young86

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We spend 5 nights in the bed and breakfast and we did not want to go home! What a beautiful house and Nancy is an amazing host to have! Rooms are beautifully decorated and feel like home. When you don't feel like going out you can sit outside in the garden. Breakfast is homemade and amazing, something different every day! If we needed something we just had to ask and got some wonderful suggestions. When we go back to New Orleans this is the only place I want to stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2014

A friend and I stayed here during the Essence Fest a couple weeks ago. I secured this reservation back in February after talking to the owner, Nancy. She was very pleasant and helpful on the phone when I asked her several questions about the bed and breakfast and about New Orleans in general. When we checked in, she was there to greet us and give us the lowdown on the B&B, including our rooms, breakfast, and how to get around. We stayed in the Magnolia and Oak rooms. I loved this setup. I'm a private person and really don't like to share my space outside of my husband and kids so I was very grateful that we each had our own room and bathroom. Our rooms were separated by a door which could lock on my side of the room. The pricing was very competitive and in line with the rates of other hotels and B&Bs for the special occasion weekend. I almost panicked because I forgot my Lysol which I carry with me when I travel for peace of mind. However, the rooms were clean so I had no worries. And my bed was very comfortable. I had breakfast the first day by myself since I was up way too early and it was continental breakfast with a little more. I tried the savory bread pudding that had veggie sausage, onions, and cheese. It was delicious. Along with fresh strawberries, juice, and some pastries. The walk to the French Quarter was about 12-15 minutes. Frenchmen street was nearby and that's a cool area to visit with great food and music. I'll probably spend more time in that area on my next visit. All in all, it was a great stay, Nancy was a gracious hostess, and I felt safe staying there. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone considering a visit to NOLA! I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We spent 8 nights in the Courtyard Suite and it was truly our home away from home. The french doors leading to the back patio were such a convenience as we spent many evenings resting and enjoying the beautiful surroundings. Nancy was a wonderful host and very knowledgeable about her city. The house was beautiful and only a short walk from Frenchman Street which has the best Jazz clubs in the city. We would highly recommend Nancy and the Auld Sweet Olive and we can't wait to return!!

Room Tip: Courtyard Suite is huge with small kitchenette, soaker tub with separate shower and king size bed. T...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I found this place on line but it there was no vacancy. at the last minute with no hotel to stay we were lucky enough to get a room. The owner welcomed us into her amazing home. I loved it from the minute I walked in. Loved the artwork painted on the walls. We stayed in the honeymoon suite. Spacious, clean and nicely decorated. Which opened onto a courtyard. Great recommendations for eats around the neighbourhood. Had fantastic food but not happy with the smoking inside.
Great neighbourhood to just walk round and check out the houses.not the closest to the action but close enough. If I ever go back to New Orleans I will be heading back here to stay. I just need to make sure I book way
in advance.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Not sure what else to say that hasn't already been said! Would highly recommend if you fancy something totally different and quirky and not your usual unfriendly hotel. Its a wonderful place to stay and Nancy is a fantastic host. Don't expect to have TV, there are plenty of board games if you want to play them. It was great not having the TV and just enjoying the surroundings and New Orleans.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cypress room which was a wonderful room. I am sure the other rooms are just as wond...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Without a doubt, the best place to stay in New Orleans. Not only is the location fantastic but the accommodations are top notch. Nancy is a superb "innkeeper" with an amazing support staff. Nancy has mastered the art of making you feel like a treasured guest in her home, part of her extended family. Nancy also creates an amazing breakfast every morning, made from scratch.

The location: you are in the Marigny district which is known for its terrific jazz clubs; you are adjacent to the French Quarter which is an easy walk; we felt safe walking in this area at any time both day and night. The French Quarter can get a little crazy, this local is perfectly removed from all of that.

This is our second time staying with Nancy. We were so impressed the first time that we decided that we wanted to spend the big 40 birthday here with friends and family. We took over 2/3rds of Nancy's home and she could not have been more kind or accommodating.

Large groups, small groups, couples, single travelers, you will all feel welcome here. It makes zero sense to me to stay in some corporate hotel when you can feel so much more like part of the big easy while staying here. Cheers to Nancy and her amazing staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends