“Fun Place”

Balcony Guest House
Ranked #39 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 January 2013

This place is different from your average hotel. We stayed for 12 nights in the owner's suite. It has enough space and is decorated very nicely, although a few things I didn't like. One was the only tv was in the bedroom, also the only window in the place was in the bedroom, this made the living area very dark. The smallness of the bathroom did not bother me but the shower could have used a good scrub. Other than that, the room was great. We loved the balcony and sat out there quite often. We had our dog with us and she loved being out there also. Although I cleared bringing my dog on email before we came, somehow I got the impression they were surprised when we showed up with her but they did not say anything. You may want to call them beforehand to find out if pets are allowed. Now the best part of staying here are the people that work here. Super friendly and helpful. We ate the breakfast almost every morning and it was great. They don't serve until 9:30 though. The neighborhood was great and seemed safe for walking at night. Everyone says how close the French Quarter is and it is not too far, but if you are out of shape or just tired of walking a bus stop is right down the street or a cab will cost you around $6. This is a super fun place to stay. Do not expect room service, they don't do that, but expect a neat place, great neighborhood and wonderful hosts.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Janeen S

Reviewed 8 January 2013

After 15 years of staying in New Orleans and always having Zak's Balcony Guesthouse as my just in case spot, it is now my first choice.

I always wake up too late to enjoy the full breakfast but lunch and dinner is always filling.

The new guest suite is amazing and I believe accommodates upto 6 people. The bed was ultimate in comfort and a treetop view of the Marigny was like being in your own little world. The only drawback was the spotty internet connection. However using the semiprivate seating area with direct access to the wrap around balcony meant that the other guests made a point of introducing themselves and vice versa.

What a treat!

Room Tip: The standard guestrooms are great for singles/couples. Entertaining visitors is a pleasure with a s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 December 2012

It has charm but is a bit dated. It also has cockroaches and my wife found a clump of hair blocking up the kitchen sink. We stayed in the Owners Suite and it was a decent size, the common area was enjoyable, and the balcony was great. Oddly the only TV was in the bedroom, there was none in the living room. It needed a thorough cleaning, especially in the bathroom. That's the bad, the good is they have a wonderful, friendly staff who enjoy talking with the guests, especially Molly and Cheryl. Breakfast was good and my wife said the Lamb Curry was the best she's had. Overall enjoyable, I would go back but my wife won't, which means it's off our list for future visits.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We had the pleasure of discovering and spending 4 nights at this beautiful B & B with an amazing staff for our destination wedding. Reading the reviews I was sure it would be a good experience. A couple of the nights we had almost every room booked with family and friends staying as well. First of all the regular rooms are not very big, but I wasn't wanting a suite as we weren't spending most of our time in the rooms. We stayed in the room with the French doors and the semi private balcony that lead to the wrap around balcony which was our favorite part. We all met out on the balcony quite often to enjoy the surroundings. If you climb under the bed, its true.. They should dust a little better under there but I have severe allergies and did not have any issues with it. On our wedding night my best friend switched us rooms and we stayed in the owners suite which was so nice and roomy! They were filming a movie on the eve of our wedding and we had a great time looking down and listening to the scene being shot in the laundry mat below. Angry Little God is the title and I will be looking forward to seeing it since we had that unique experience. The breakfast served was soooo good! I think my favorite was on the weekend when they served brunch. It wasn't included but I had to try the shrimp and grits and it was worth every penny!! The staff was amazing, nice, helpful, and fun!! We only had a bad experience with another guest who apparently thought they owned the place, telling us at 11:30 to shut up when we were saying goodnight to my in laws and the night before told us we stole THEIR chairs on the balcony. There are a couple plastic chairs on the balcony with no room numbers on them-ahem. Then again the entire time she was talking to her husband like he was an idiot and 5 years old... Some people are just miserable. We didn't let that ruin our time, in fact.. We are planning on going back next year for our anniversary and my daughters 21st birthday! With just a 6 or 7 block walk to the French Quarter, we may rent out the entire B & B if I can get a big enough group!! Until next time...

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank baybay73
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Balcony was suggested to us by a friend that used to live in the neighborhood, which was fantastic. We felt extremely safe walking all around the area that it's in, and also walking up to Frenchmen Street. The French Quarter is about a 15 minute walk, and the only part about that walk I didn't like was leaving the Quarter late at night. The staff at Balcony was incredibly friendly, and the girls downstairs were very helpful in suggesting local places around the neighborhood that weren't aiming to rob tourists of their money. I definitely suggest you spend some time at Mimi's just down the street. The food was phenomenal! Not your typical bar food. It is a bed and breakfast, so don't expect any maid service to come in and clean your room and make your bed for you everyday. We stayed for 4 nights, and I don't think anyone came in the room the whole time we were there, but I don't mind that. I'm a big girl, I can make my own bed! Brenda showed us to our room and how to get in and out of the secured building, and she was also incredibly sweet and helpful! She made our stay so very nice! The free breakfast only includes certain items off of the menu, but it's good and made pretty fast so you can get on your way. Overall, I'd return to Balcony anytime I visit New Orleans. The room was nice and comfy, and relaxing on the balcony after a long day of walking was a nice treat. We definitely enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: Our room didn't have direct access to the balcony like it was supposed to, so if that's a bi...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I checked in, dropped my luggage and walked down to Frenchmen St. Got back around 11:00 looking forward to getting some sleep. However, the linen had not been changed from the previous guest. I slept on top of the comforter which was also a little dodgy and stained. Breakfast didn't start until 9:30 so the "free breakfast" was not something I got to enjoy. By 9:30 I'm long gone. I would come back during the day to shower or drop off my bags. Each time I was thinking maybe THIS time someone would have cleaned the room, at least emptied the garbage. But apparently you have to ask for any kind of cleaning to be done here. No cleaning whatsoever for 5 days. And not for at least a few weeks before hand, there were dust bunnies as big as my head under the bed. I know this is not a hotel but I gave this place the benefit of the doubt in regards to cleaning. So while I didn't get free breakfast, I didn't have to tip the cleaning staff because apparently there isn't one. The couple of times I spoke with the owner or restaurant staff they were friendly enough but I definitely wouldn't go back. I guess I was spoiled from the guesthouse I stayed at before coming to this one. That place had everything the Balcony didn't and more.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Marie A
Reviewed 5 November 2012

After having great trouble finding accommodation in New Orleans and emailing over B&Bs it was lovely that the Balcony guest house sent us an e-mail to let us know they had a cancellation.

Both rooms were lovely and had all we needed. The owners and staff were really friendly and breakfast was a treat. It was a bonus that it only started at 9 and we didn't have to get up super early for it like in other hotels.

Great location - only a short walk from Frenchmen Street with lots of restaurants, bars and live music.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends