“A slice of paradise!”

Ranked #40 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Spring Grove, Minnesota
“A slice of paradise!”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stayed in the 3rd floor Master Suite mid-March 2013- and what a little gem this place is. My husband and I enjoy staying in guesthouses vs. hotels, so I feel I am qualified to say that this is one of the most memorable and enjoyable to date.

Located in the Marigny, the Balcony is a nice short walk from many of the typical tourist attractions, as well as other little pockets of fun. It took approximately 15 minutes to walk to the French Market, Frenchman Street, or down to where the Quarter gets busy. When I say 15 minutes that is with my photog hubby snapping pics and checking out the intricate molding and architecture. If you had to push it you could get there much faster!

The building itself is a really neat older corner store, owned by a very gracious gentleman named Zac (sp?). He was really accommodating, and the rest of the staff was helpful as well. One morning at breakfast Molly our waitress suggested a short drive out to the Barataria to walk the swamp on a small wooden walkway- we are glad we did- free activity close to NO and the wildlife we saw was great (see review). The room was very roomy and since it was upstairs from the other rooms there was no one next door per se'. There was a small kitchenette, a nice sized bathroom with a whirlpool tub, and a nice seating area- plenty of windows to the south, east and west. Only word of advice if you aren't familiar with guesthouses, I usually bring my own shampoo/cond/lotion/soap- they had shampoo and soap, but nothing more so I was glad I did. The balcony is for use by all, so even though the balcony wasn't directly off our room it would not deter me from renting this particular room again. The sitting area off the balony, also for use by all, is a really neat place to peruse brochures.

Breakfast was good- about 5 choices each morning- and filling! The orange juice was excellent, the coffee really good too. The only thing, for us, we are very early risers, so the 0930 hrs start time for breakfast was hard- it felt like half the day was already gone! We adjusted by choosing our own morning activities- I ran and my darling husband wandered around taking pictures of molding or flowers or stray cats. Also in the same area for breakfast was a wine/beer/neighborhood store, which was nice, we purchased a nice bottle of wine and some chocolate and sat on the balcony one evening.

Would completely recommend this to all, and will definitely stay here next time we are in NOLA!

Room Tip: Owner's suite/Master suite is on the 3rd floor, so 2 flights of stairs and no direct balcony, al...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JaySimins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 12 March 2013

My husband and I chose to stay at Balcony Guest House because we wanted to get the full experience of NOLA - we didn't want to stay at the Hampton Inn etc. We were dropped off at BGH by taxi - great first impression!! We tried to check in, but realized I had lost my wallet (with ALL of our money in it). The owner of BGH drove us back to the airport (30 miles). They were all so accommodating and helpful. Long story short, I found my wallet in the taxi. We would have been completely lost without their help!! Wonderful people!

BGH is adorable. Breakfast was convenient and tasty. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Great location - its a short walk to Frenchman St. and the Quarter. WE WILL STAY HERE EVERYTIME WE VISIT NOLA.

Room Tip: If available, choose the corner room. Loved having both doors open.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tai Perry E
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 February 2013

This is a wonderful place to experience "real" New Orleans. It's in Marigny, which is a quieter, artsy neighborhood adjacent to the French Quarter. Balcony Guest House is close enough that you can walk to the craziness of the Quarter in 15 minutes, but it's removed enough that you can get a feel for what it's actually like to like in New Orleans and not just experience it downstairs. Schiro's downstairs has great food, and Zak, the owner, is about the nicest, most hospitable guys I've encountered. Price is reasonable too, even during the festivals. Would definitely stay here in again upon returning to the Big Easy.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the rooms that has its own private access to the balcony. Great for people watchin...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Holly Springs, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Stayed here Feb.1-3,2013 prior to a cruise.Super Bowl weekend! We were a party of 6 staying in 3 rooms.We all loved this little place.We arrived very early and were immediately shown to our rooms to drop off luggage.The rooms were small but very comfortably furnished and very clean.The balcony was great for drinks and people watching.Food was delicious,we actually ended up having a breakfast, a lunch, and a dinner there.The bar was fun at night with many locals to socialize with. It was a bit of a walk to Bourbon St.but doable for this group of 50 and 60 year olds.We discovered that you could get an all day trolley pass for $3.00,get on at the French Market and go just about anywhere. Frenchman St.is only a couple of blocks away and there is wonderful bars,restaurants and music to be had there. We will definitely stay there again when in New Orleans and will recommend to our friends.

Room Tip: Room #1 is great for the balcony access and people watching
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank candy c
Denver
Reviewed 12 January 2013

This place is different from your average hotel. We stayed for 12 nights in the owner's suite. It has enough space and is decorated very nicely, although a few things I didn't like. One was the only tv was in the bedroom, also the only window in the place was in the bedroom, this made the living area very dark. The smallness of the bathroom did not bother me but the shower could have used a good scrub. Other than that, the room was great. We loved the balcony and sat out there quite often. We had our dog with us and she loved being out there also. Although I cleared bringing my dog on email before we came, somehow I got the impression they were surprised when we showed up with her but they did not say anything. You may want to call them beforehand to find out if pets are allowed. Now the best part of staying here are the people that work here. Super friendly and helpful. We ate the breakfast almost every morning and it was great. They don't serve until 9:30 though. The neighborhood was great and seemed safe for walking at night. Everyone says how close the French Quarter is and it is not too far, but if you are out of shape or just tired of walking a bus stop is right down the street or a cab will cost you around $6. This is a super fun place to stay. Do not expect room service, they don't do that, but expect a neat place, great neighborhood and wonderful hosts.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Janeen S
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 8 January 2013

After 15 years of staying in New Orleans and always having Zak's Balcony Guesthouse as my just in case spot, it is now my first choice.

I always wake up too late to enjoy the full breakfast but lunch and dinner is always filling.

The new guest suite is amazing and I believe accommodates upto 6 people. The bed was ultimate in comfort and a treetop view of the Marigny was like being in your own little world. The only drawback was the spotty internet connection. However using the semiprivate seating area with direct access to the wrap around balcony meant that the other guests made a point of introducing themselves and vice versa.

What a treat!

Room Tip: The standard guestrooms are great for singles/couples. Entertaining visitors is a pleasure with a s...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
eugene, OR
Reviewed 23 December 2012

It has charm but is a bit dated. It also has cockroaches and my wife found a clump of hair blocking up the kitchen sink. We stayed in the Owners Suite and it was a decent size, the common area was enjoyable, and the balcony was great. Oddly the only TV was in the bedroom, there was none in the living room. It needed a thorough cleaning, especially in the bathroom. That's the bad, the good is they have a wonderful, friendly staff who enjoy talking with the guests, especially Molly and Cheryl. Breakfast was good and my wife said the Lamb Curry was the best she's had. Overall enjoyable, I would go back but my wife won't, which means it's off our list for future visits.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple