“Great for a group!”

Ranked #40 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Great for a group!”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Zak was a fantastic host -- in touch with us all along, answered all our questions, went out of his way to make sure we had a great time. His B&B is beautiful, extremely clean, a block from a few great bars/restaurants, a short walk from Frenchman Street, and a longish (but safe and pleasant) walk from the French Quarter. The B&B has a great balcony, which we used (thanks to Zak's advice) to watch parades, and Zak helpfully pointed us to other local events.

I came with 16 friends, and we couldn't have had a better experience. I'd happily recommend Zak and this b&b.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrew R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My husband and I could not have been happier to stay at The Balcony Guest House for our honeymoon last week!!

The incredible hospitality we received from the entire staff at The Balcony/Schiro's made us feel immediately embraced by the city from the moment we arrived. The cafe attached to the B&B, Schiro's was our favorite first stop of each day on our trip. We'd wake up every morning, head downstairs, and we were always treated with an amazing breakfast with a side of some laughs by the wonderful Rick Devoe, the head chef. There wasn't a traditional breakfast menu, but instead Rick was always there to make us whatever we wanted, provided he had the ingredients in the back. And boy, oh boy, would he deliver!! If he's got a batch of his biscuits and gravy when you're there...just order it!! You will not be disappointed!! We were also delighted with his stuffed French toast, eggs that were cooked exactly to order, and somehow every strip of bacon he served us was absolutely perfect every time! (This is a feat we've struggled with many times in our own kitchen, so we were very impressed!) Rick cooks all of his meals with love and care, and you can taste it in every bite. Even though we had tons of suggestions by friends of ours on excellent breakfast/brunch spots in the area, we couldn't help but run downstairs every morning and have breakfast with Rick instead. Truly the perfect way to start our day. Just typing about it is making me hungry now!

Our room was clean, comfortable, and cozy. The bed was soft, the water pressure in the shower was excellent, and the mini-fridge and microwave in the room were welcome essentials for the nights we'd come back with leftovers from all of the other delicious food we ate on our trip. The B&B is also conveniently located within walking distance to the Quarter, and the Marigny District itself is quite lovely to walk through and explore. We're from NYC, so we're no strangers to walking, and we found ourselves completely content with the location and its proximity to the spots we wanted to explore.

All in all, The Balcony/Schiro's is a gem of a spot in a gem of a city, and we cannot wait to visit them again!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole V
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed here for a week when I was performing at Marigny Opera House. Staying at this B&B made my New Orleans experience even more special. I loved the neighborhood; it's walking distance to the French Quarter, and all the popular local spots. The host Zak was wonderful, and he made me feel at home at his B&B. The room was clean and comfortable, and it was furnished beautifully. They offer free made-to-order breakfast, which was out of this world... Rick was an outstanding cook, who was fun and personable, and he made delicious breakfast every morning. I would love to come back here on a vacation, and I highly recommend this place to all my friends!

Room Tip: Highly recommend their Honeymoon Suite -- Noise doesn't travel all the way up there.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rei A
Oakwood,Illinois
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed a week here around Halloween and never had a dull moment. Check in time is 3 pm and Donald may not have your room ready, so be prepared to entertain yourself until then. That's not hard to do in the Marigny. The restaurant here is outstanding and worth a visit in and of itself. Zak and Naz were perfect hosts and went out of there way to make our stay the best possible. We were within easy walking distance of The French Quarter and Frenchmen St. but had great times at Mimi's just down the street too. 2 coffee shops in the area were convenient too. Room #1 of 6 opens onto the great balcony, but there is access for all thru the landing/sitting area. Rooms can be cramped but we spent more time on the balcony than in the rooms. This is a NOLA treasure.

Room Tip: Next time I'll book one of the 2 suites. They weren't available when I booked 2 months in ad...
Lincoln, New Hampshire
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband surprised me and made my birthday and Halloween a wonderful adventure. This was our first stay at B&B but have frequented because its one of my fav places to eat. We frequent NOLA and It was home away from home. ,Zak & Naz were wonderful hosts and the staff overall were so accommodating and friendly. Rooms & beds were clean, comfortable, loved the balcony to R&R on. Very open to suggestions and always accommodating whatever the need.
A place with charm, warmth and hospitality not to mention great food. A great experience which will be repeated....Thank-you all for making things so special, Cheryl & Denis from NH!

Room Tip: The single rooms are nice but we toured the suites and if your staying more than 5 days the larger s...
1 Thank Cher1949
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My wife and goods friends accompanied us back to N.O. We stayed on our honeymoon 3 years ago in a hotel on Canal St. and it was nice, but you can not taste the flavor on this city by staying there. We just loved staying here Zack the owner was just fantastic he treated you like a long lost friend. And the staff Steve, Donald Wally were just a hoot. It was like being at home with family all around. I would suggest to anyone who wants to get a true feel for the city definitely stay here with this crew!!!

Room Tip: The rooms are a little small but you spend so little time there it was not an issue for us!
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Balcony Guest House on 9/19/13. I would like to start by saying this is the first time we have stayed at a B & B.

-Stayed in room 1. This room has direct access to the balcony, which was nice.
-The rooms for the BB are located upstairs and there is a store/restaurant on the bottom. The bartender, I think his name was Steve, was great. Very helpful. The Indian food was great and reasonably priced. We did get a complimentary cocktail upon arriving and all non-alcoholic drinks were free during the stay.
-The bathroom and room were a bit small but that was expected. The décor in the room was nice as well as the sitting area.
-The TV is small (picture tube type) and did not catch many channels. The ones that were available were not clear. This was not a big issue except when we returned to the room or when getting dressed.
-I did find the room was a bit on the dusty side, especially the rug and drapes.
-The bed was not very comfortable. I think this is an area for an upgrade.
-The location is away from the French Quarter, which was nice. There are a lot of bars within a couple of blocks as well as coffee shops.
-It's about a 15-20 minutes walk to Bourbon Street and about 10-12 minutes to Frenchmen Street, which is where the Jazz clubs are located.
We walked this area during the day and also at night and did not have any issues. There are RTA buses that pass in front of the guest house but we did not use them.

Overall, we were satisfied and would stay again. If you are looking to stay in area away from the French Quarter and don't mind walking, then this would be the place.

Room Tip: I believe room 1 & 3 have direct access to the balcony. Note all guest have access to the balcon...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple