“Affordable, Charming, Unique”

Balcony Guest House
Ranked #39 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We went to New Orleans during the big orthopaedic surgeon convention so hotels were very hard to find. And when you did find a basic hotel it was several hundred dollars a night. So we did some research and found the Balcony Guest House. We hadn't stayed on this side of New Orleans before. The price was perfect!

I was a little uneasy with the neighborhood when we first arrived. We passed a LOT of homeless young adults as we came off I-10. It was very heartbreaking. A car had been broken into on our road (Royal Street) and this brought back personal memories that were uncomfortable. But once I sat on the upstairs balcony for a while and just watched the people going by I really started to love the neighborhood. It is definitely an artsy neighborhood - you see musicians going by on bicycles pulling their huge string bass in a bike accessory meant for a child. You see lots of people walking their dogs. You see moms pushing baby strollers. We walked around the area on several occasions and it is just a fun local area. You are definitely away from the tourist section - although you see other obvious tourists staying in B&Bs like you.

The house is great - the downstairs is a restaurant. We had a complimentary local beer when we arrived. There are only a few rooms and the sound does travel between rooms. We had some loud neighbors the first night but they weren't annoying - you could tell they were just having a good time and listening to music on their phone while they got ready for a night out. Our room was small and basic but it had everything we needed - a comfortable bed, a warm shower and a mini fridge. It even had a ceiling fan and that was nice.

The breakfast was great - it was eggs, potatoes, bacon/sausage and these delicious biscuits. I could have eaten 10 of those biscuits every morning! We also had lunch one day and the food was great then, too.

The walk to the heart of the French Quarter was about 10 minutes. It was an easy walk and we did it during the day and at night. We did bring a car with us and street parking near the Balcony Guest House was very easy to find - even at night.

I would stay here again and I would recommend it to almost everyone I know. The only people I wouldn't recommend it to are the people that I don't even think would like New Orleans. If those people were going to New Orleans I would recommend a B&B in the garden district instead. But if you are looking for a local experience this is it!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 407Gator

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I had such a lovely stay here for my spring break. The house itself was beautiful, eclectic, and very clean (with much appreciated complimentary coffee). It's central location made walking to different parts of the city very easy, and the part of the Marigny it's in is incredibly charming and alive. I would recommend staying here to anyone over and over.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank OKBAY
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The Balcony guesthouse is not for those who want a cookie-cutter hotel room. The basic rooms are tiny, but well furnished with a modern, well-lit bath. The sitting room was great as we befriended another couple staying there and we had a nice , quiet space to chat and have a bottle of wine we bought downstairs. Breakfast was good, albeit slow to arrive. Relax, help yourself to coffee and enjoy. The neighborhood was the best part as we were a walk away from Frenchman St , another great breakfast spot, and the French Quarter. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This was my second stay at the Balcony Guesthouse in New Orleans. As far as I'm concerned it will always be my first choice. The owner and his family go out of their way to make you feel like it's your home. The rooms are lovely and comfortable, the onsite restaurant and bar are extremely convenient and the food is fantastic. I much prefer the cozy atmosphere and friendly neighborhood feel of the area to the commercial, somewhat frenzied feel of staying in the quarter, yet it's a short walk to all of the music, dining and sight-seeing you could ask for. Zak does everything he can to make your visit the best that it can be.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mkschei
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed here with friends for a weekend, and the Balcony Guest House was a great homebase for our activities. They were incredibly nice and amenable (even when we weren't the quietest group that could've existed), had included breakfast that was cooked for us, and were conveniently located within walking distance to the French Quarter. Thanks for a great time!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Zak was a fantastic host -- in touch with us all along, answered all our questions, went out of his way to make sure we had a great time. His B&B is beautiful, extremely clean, a block from a few great bars/restaurants, a short walk from Frenchman Street, and a longish (but safe and pleasant) walk from the French Quarter. The B&B has a great balcony, which we used (thanks to Zak's advice) to watch parades, and Zak helpfully pointed us to other local events.

I came with 16 friends, and we couldn't have had a better experience. I'd happily recommend Zak and this b&b.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My husband and I could not have been happier to stay at The Balcony Guest House for our honeymoon last week!!

The incredible hospitality we received from the entire staff at The Balcony/Schiro's made us feel immediately embraced by the city from the moment we arrived. The cafe attached to the B&B, Schiro's was our favorite first stop of each day on our trip. We'd wake up every morning, head downstairs, and we were always treated with an amazing breakfast with a side of some laughs by the wonderful Rick Devoe, the head chef. There wasn't a traditional breakfast menu, but instead Rick was always there to make us whatever we wanted, provided he had the ingredients in the back. And boy, oh boy, would he deliver!! If he's got a batch of his biscuits and gravy when you're there...just order it!! You will not be disappointed!! We were also delighted with his stuffed French toast, eggs that were cooked exactly to order, and somehow every strip of bacon he served us was absolutely perfect every time! (This is a feat we've struggled with many times in our own kitchen, so we were very impressed!) Rick cooks all of his meals with love and care, and you can taste it in every bite. Even though we had tons of suggestions by friends of ours on excellent breakfast/brunch spots in the area, we couldn't help but run downstairs every morning and have breakfast with Rick instead. Truly the perfect way to start our day. Just typing about it is making me hungry now!

Our room was clean, comfortable, and cozy. The bed was soft, the water pressure in the shower was excellent, and the mini-fridge and microwave in the room were welcome essentials for the nights we'd come back with leftovers from all of the other delicious food we ate on our trip. The B&B is also conveniently located within walking distance to the Quarter, and the Marigny District itself is quite lovely to walk through and explore. We're from NYC, so we're no strangers to walking, and we found ourselves completely content with the location and its proximity to the spots we wanted to explore.

All in all, The Balcony/Schiro's is a gem of a spot in a gem of a city, and we cannot wait to visit them again!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple