“Questionable Overall Experience But Great Treatments”
Review of Belladonna Day Spa

Belladonna Day Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Full-service day spa with a line of skin care products.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 28 April 2005

I decided to try the spa experience for the first time at Belladonna Day Spa.
I booked several weeks in advance for a manicure, pedicure, message, and facial.
The day of my appointments, I receive a call at 8:00 a.m. and the receptionist at Belladonna informed me that my manicure and pedicure must be cancelled because the individual I was scheduled with was sick. The receptionist then politely informed me that they would try to reschedule me with someone else, but it was not likely that another appointment would be available. However, I still decided to keep my appointments for my other services.
I arrived at the spa and was placed in a robe and quickly escorted to my facial. The facial was nice and the treatment lasted for about forty-five minutes as promised. The staff was great, but definitely be ready for a serious sales pitch after the facial. The most ridiculous part of the sales pitch being that you are escorted to the Belladonna store and are roaming through the store, which is open to the general public, in a thin robe. (I am very glad that I decided to leave on bra and panties until immediately before each treatment.)
I was then deposited in the tea garden and waited for the message therapist. I waited and I waited while I watched the Belladonna employees congregate at the receptionist's desk. The message therapist finally arrived and apologized for the delay, but he said that noone at the desk could tell him where I was. He was a surprise because when I scheduled the message they had me scheduled with a woman, but he was really terrific and the message lasted for the sixty minutes as promised even though there was a delay. However, if you prefer a massage therapist of a particular gender, then I would stress that because I originally preferred a woman and trusted that my appointment would not be changed without notice.
After the message, I changed and paid. I then spent the next hour trying to book a manicure and pedicure at another spa on a Friday afternoon because the manicure and pedicure were the two services I really wanted.
Negatives: 1) I understand that people have emergencies, but I was surprised that such a large spa could not offer me someone else for the manicure and pedicure especially when I was coming in for two other services already. 2) A store open to the general public and a thin robe. 3) A lot of employees with time on their hands, but not to interested in service. 4) Changes in intimate services without notice or consent.
Positives: 1) I found a great manicurist/pedicurist at Spa Isabell and will likely continue to make appointments at Spa Isabell for manicures and pedicures. 2) I loved the treatments themselves and the individuals who provided my treatments. 3) I am over my discomfort about a male message therapist and I will likely return to Belladonna for my messages because of him.
I probably would not return to Belladonna, but for, the terrific message and that will likely be the only treatment that I will continue at Belladonna.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 21 March 2005

I had a wonderful massage here. I didn't have time to try any other services, but this was a really pretty place in the garden district. My massage was just perfect. I found this to be a very nice place.

2  Thank ashley L
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed 15 August 2004

A friend and I had a "moms' weekend away" and wanted some spa pampering while our husbands watched the kids. Belladonna was a neutral experience. My friend got a pedicure and massage and loved both services. I got a manicure and facial and wasn't really excited about either. My manicure was sloppy -- I had polish on my skin afterward, and the manicurist spoke with the other workers in spanish while she did my nails, which I just don't think is very polite. The facial was ok, but I didn't think the aesthetician really explained what she was going to do before doing it, nor did she really ask what I wanted. Spa services are expensive, so you kind of hope to walk away really feeling like it was money well spent. Oh well...

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 June 2004

As a first time spa goer, I can honestly say that I was not "hooked" on the spa experience like everyone said that I would be. My husband and I went for the "be together" package. When I made the reservation, I specifically said that I can not sit in the sauna because of my asthma, but they had me booked there anyway. They were very nice when I asked for it to be changed to the jacuzzi. But I was disappointed when I saw it. It was only a Jacuzzi for 2, in a little room outside. After 30 minutes of soaking (where the water heater was broken) we were taken to get our massage. That part was nice. Afterwords we were taken upstairs for our campagne lunch which was a chicken and tuna salad with greens, and it was good. After lunch, we were taken downstairs for a mani/pedi. I didn't like that I had to walk through the store in my robe to get to the nail area. I would have prefered to be able to change into my regular clothes before walking in front of the public with nothing but a thin robe on. The manicure seemed very abreviated. There was nothing special. Then the pedicure was in a spa chair which was good. Following the pedicure, I finally got to change into my regular clothes, and I met with a make up artist, who was the nicest person there. Overall, the staff's attention varied from one service to another. Check-in, massage, lunch, and make-up service was GREAT, but the mani/pedi techs could really take a lesson in customer service. This did not end my spa experiences, but I do hope that there is more to it than this.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 February 2004

February 5, 2004Went to this spa with two other girlfriends. We were expecting to get the "best" since they are voted the best in New Orleans. It was terrible. The workers were rude and the treatments were short. Also, no ameneties in the Ladies Locker Room. You will not be pampered here. Look elsewhere!

8  Thank jakost1