“Excellent Hotel With Room 205 being the best.” 5 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel
Ranked #66 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Baytown, Texas
“Excellent Hotel With Room 205 being the best.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

We traveled with pets and although we both smoked, pets were not welcome above the 2nd floor which was understandable since the room was adjacent to the lobby atrium and smoking rooms were above the 2nd floor only. Great hostess, great access to the French Quarter and Harras Casino, Starbucks Coffee (in Harras), restaurants, parks for the dogs and everything a body could possibly need. We tried to stay another night but with the French Quarter Festival that proved impossible but either my partner or myself will definitely be staying at this friendly hotel on our next visit.

Room Tip: 205 has an interesting floor plan. Skylights.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LoveDoug5916
BWChristopher, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2011
Thank you for your comment regarding our staff. We work hard to please our guest and we like to know when we do.

Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
Brookeville, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

Stayed at the Best Western St. Christopher for French Quarter Festival. I understand that the rates were much higher this past weekend than they usually are which is a good thing, because on an ordinary non-festival weekend this hotel would have a hard time justifying the rate that was being charged this past weekend.

Absolutely call in advance. If you book through a third party vendor (Hotels.com or Bookit.com), odds are that your reservation is incorrect. Mine was but I called a few days before arrival and had it straightened out. Was near the front desk and overheard somebody who had the same problem that we did - reserved a room for multiple people and the St. Christopher only showed a reservation for one person. They hadn't cleared up the issue in advance, there were no open rooms, and they had a room with just one queen size bed.

Arrived early before check-in and had an evening flight after check-out. Very easy to store bags. Be advised that your room will not be ready before 3pm, especially at a crowded time.

Terrific location, about a block from the outside of the French Quarter, 8 blocks to Jackson Square, 8-10 blocks to the heart of Bourbon Street, 2-3 blocks to the St. Charles Avenue streetcar line, 3 blocks from Harrah's and Riverfront Park.

Noise could be an issue but it is entirely dependent upon your luck of who shares your floor. You can easily hear the hallway from within your room. There are only about ten rooms on each floor, so if you have a bachelor party on your floor, you'll hear it. If you have a more docile crowd on your floor, you'll sleep fine. The air conditioner is a little loud, but it's not enough to wake you out of a sound sleep.

Room was small but all-in-all very comfortable. Exposed brick gave the room some very nice character. Bathroom was nice and, as somebody commented, I would like to have the showerhead and water pressure from the hotel room in my shower at home. Refrigerators in the room were nice to buy some bottles of water and keep cold. Vending machines on each level sold 20 oz bottles of Coke products (including Dasani) for $1.50 - cheaper than the surrounding stores on Canal.

Breakfast was included. Not a terrific breakfast, not a great selection, but it's free. Waffle makers were a nice touch. Rice Krispies/Cheerios/Raisin Bran, Sam's Club danishes and bagels, apples, bananas, yogurts, and granola bars. Apple juice, orange juice, and coffee (if you want strong coffee, head to the Starbucks a block up Canal). Breakfast is ended exactly at 10, so don't think you can stroll down after a long night out at 10:05.

All in all, I'd stay here again and would feel even better about the stay if it was the normal non-festival rate and not the more expensive rate that was comparable to local hotels a star or two higher in class rating.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MoCoMD
We would like to Thank you for your comment. We look forward to seeing you come back to stay with use. However If you book through a 3rd party site like book it. They do not guarantee the type of room provided. We recommend you book directly through our website to avoid these types of issues. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

We booked our room here about 5 months in advance along with another family, just a couple of nights before our cruise. The front desk was advised our flight was delayed & we would be an hour late, but I think they gave our room away anyway. Hard to say because the front desk lady actually took her phone & left the room & refused to tell us why we weren't accommodated despite our paid reservation. After I called corporate customer care they tried to book us another room & paid for the cab to get there. They said we could come back the next day & still our second night, but we refused after our treatment at St. Christopher. Then at check out, St. Christopher refused to pay for the other hotel they had shunted us to. We contacted corporate customer care again, but no one from Best Western would take responsibility and pay the bill. We ended up paying over $160 for a trashy motel a half mile away just so we could get out of NOLA and enjoy our cruise. We were promised a follow-up conversation regarding the bill, which never came. I tried again today, but Best Western corporate & St. Christopher refused to take responsibility for it.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Peace G
Kinisha S, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
I’m deeply sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at The Best Western plus St. Christopher Hotel. This is highly uncharacteristic of our staff, as we pride ourselves on being efficient and very helpful with all our guests. The experience you received is not acceptable and that’s not what we promote. However, I want to send out my deepest apology for your experience, I hope in the future if you travel to New Orleans you give us a second chance.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

My friend and I visited New Orleans in March 2011 for a girls trip from the U.K and because we chose to arrive the day after Mardi Gras there was little choice of accommodation available. We realised we were lucky to get a room so close to the French Quarter. I cannot fault the location, a short walk to the main areas of the French Quarter and Bourbon Street, there is a handy shop on the corner and a cash dispenser next door. The hotel itself is clean and the decor although in need of a refurb is fine. Some of the ladies on reception were delightful, very helpful and pleasant but on a couple of days not so. Just beware of the generator/air conditioner noise, mentioned in other reviews, very noisy even with ear plugs, can't say whether all the rooms are like this but for us the sleep quality was bad. Also don't rely on your wake up call being at the right time and check your bill, it took us 3 goes to get a correct bill as we had someone else's parking charges on it . I guess you get what you pay for and actually it was good value so I wouldn't say don't stay here because of the great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sarsy47
Thank you for your responce, We look forward to you comming back to stay at the Best Western St. Christopher Hotel. I am alwayes pleased to here the guest responce on the hotel.

Kelso, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

Upon checking out of my room early one morning, I was presented with a bill with incorrect charges. The desk worker on duty told me she could not change my bill, highlighted the incorrect charges (aka 100% local tax for 4 of my 5 nights), and told me a corrected version would be emailed to me. Five days later after ~4 phone calls, the incorrect total is still on my credit card, and I have not received a corrected statement. Ten days later after more phone calls, I filed a complaint with Best Western Corporate and disputed the charge with my credit card company. Twelve days later, I received a corrected version of my statement via fax. Finally, fourteen days later, my credit card was credited for the incorrect amount. If you want to put up with this level of incompetence and hassle, by all means stay at this hotel while enjoying wonderful New Orleans!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank M1zz0u
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

This hotel was in s great location; walking distance of where you want to be. The room was clean. The shower I'd always the test and this bathroom and shower exceeded my expectations. The shower head was wonderful! Taking a shower felt like I was getting a massage! The only downfall of the hotel is that there is no on-site parking. Unless you want to struggle to find your own parking, you will have to cough up $28 a day for them to valet your car. Overall I will definitely return here got the stay!

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Sheneka
Thank you for your responce, We are glad to hear you enjoyesd your stay. We look forward to you comming back to stay again.

Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2011

We stayed here for Fat Tuesday and for a few days after to see New Orleans.
The good:
Room: quality, cleanliness, frig, coffee and decor.
Responsive staff (we needed the tub fixed and towels, both times we had help within 5 minutes)
Quick check in, helpful doorman.
Continental breakfast is standard fare, fresh and adequate.
Bathroom: large and well appointed.

The bad:
Dogs??? They allow dogs? Although I only heard barking once from our room. Heard a loud barking one day near the elevator.
During check-in the staff seemed to have an attitude with us. There was no need for that, but to their credit, spring breaker types were giving them a hard time. But we are not party types so we should not have been given the 'tude, ya know?
We had to wear wrist bracelets identifying us as guests. We think this was to keep out the riff-raff during the celebrations. But we had to wear the same bracelet for a few days, kinda strange hey.

Overall this was a great place for Mardi Gras, walking distance to everything, yet off to the side so it was quiet. The hotel was in good shape with two PCs for checking email or surfing the web. The breakfast saved us time and money and is of good quality.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tomwible
Thank you for your responce, We look forward to you comming back to stay with us again. we would like to apologize for the attitude of the staff. We want our guest to feel like family.