“Quaint & Charming, but Nice Upgrades...”

Ranked #65 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Came to NOLA w/friends for a 3-day weekend- friends stayed @ another hotel. For this reason, we did not have to deal w/the parking issue- our friends kept the car w/them. Location was good, bath was VERY clean & nice (newly remodeled?!?), room was kind of odd- shaped but had a very pretty exposed brick wall. Large red stain on the carpet (Hurricane, anyone?...), but in a corner area, so we placed a suitcase over it & forgot about it! We were on one of the lower floors, so there was some street noise... After the 1st night we didn't notice the noise again- the breakfast was kinda sad- I was ok w/it until I went to get milk for my cereal & found little bugs all over the counter. Ugg... Not cool. It WAS really nice that they had a "bar" area in the back of the lobby- nice to have a drink or 2 (or hubby can wait there while us gals finish dressing) before heading out. We came in late one night, & there was a pretty decent- sized group having a really good time! Also, they do allow pets, which is wonderful, but...after walking the area, I do wonder where u would take them to do their "business"... Overall, we would stay here again if our 1st choice (or something new) were not available. For the price & location, however, there are many hotels to choose from-

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank cdh713
BWChristopher, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011

I am always please to hear feed back from our guest. We are in the process of changing out furniture. We have just upgraded our TV’s to flat screen units, added refrigerators, and new beds and replaced much of the furniture in our rooms.

Front Desk Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,495)

Reviewed 28 July 2011

this place is pretty nice for a Best Western - don't get me wrong, but this space is a mixture of many buildings into one hotel and so looks more unique than what I usually get with a Best Western.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dre0303

We are a unique historic boutique hotel in a great location. We strive to make each guest experience enjoyable.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

There is a charge for valet parking and the safe in the room but other than that no hidden charges. It is only one block off of Canal St and convenient to everything downtown.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sunyatcamp

I am always pleased to hear feed back from our guest. I am glad that your stay here at the Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel was enjoyable. Please come again.

Thanks

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Stayed 2 nights before a cruise. 4 adults and 1 toddler.
Rooms were quaint. clean and comfortable. Reception staff were realy helpful.
air conditioning was wonderful.
The Best Best Western Breakfast ever -- amazing choice

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

We would like to thank you for your response. We are please that on your next trip you would be staying with the Best Western plus St. Christopher Hotel.

Reviewed 17 July 2011

This hotel is great for visiting New Orleans, especially downtown(aquarium, WWII museum, etc.) and the French Quarter. It is just three blocks from the start of Bourbon street and is itself off the main drag of Canal. Crossing over Canal, Magazine street turns into Decatur and is just a 10 minute walk from world-famous Cafe du Monde. The shower water pressure is good, the rooms modern, clean and comfy(recently updated) and the wifi is decent. The free breakfast is the typical pastries, cereal, etc. Since this is in New Orleans, the air conditioning is paramount and I'm happy to say it's capable although a bit loud. The price is right and the location is prime if you book *early* for Mardi Gras(not at all too far from the parades, but not too close where you'll be pushing over people just to get out or people throwing up on you).

Now, for my problems with this hotel, it's the service which blows. Since parking seems to be the number 2 industry of New Orleans after tourism, it's hard to find and expensive when you do in downtown New Orleans(for example, there is a restaurant just across the street which charges $20 to valet, just for dinner!). Essentially, you are left with having to valet with the hotel. Well, the first time I asked for my car, the valet brings it around from the garage and scrapes my front, left rim on the curb. You'd think that a valet, who parks and retrieves cars all day, would know where the curb is or at the very least be extra careful not to scrape a rim. On some cars, rims can run $400 each! He then had the presumption to loiter around while I was visibly upset getting into my car like I was going to give him a tip! When we came back from dinner around 11pm(from the excellent but pricey Commander's Palace just two miles away), there was a line of cars in front of the hotel waiting to be parked. We sat in the steet, essentially blocking a lane of traffic, for *20* minutes, no valets to be seen. My wife went in to ask what the deal was and was told they'd be back shortly. So we waited another ten minutes with the other cars in the street til two valets come leisurely strolling down the street from the garage to start parking more cars. After we got back in the hotel, I went straight to the front desk and asked what the reason was for the delay. The desk attendant demurred saying sometimes it just takes a while. I then told her I felt the $28 per day was poorly spent to have to wait 30 minutes and especially blocking a lane of traffic and asked to have this charge reversed for poor service. Her response? In a shining example of poor customer service, she said New Orleans is a big city and there are plenty of other places to park a car while giving her co-workers nearby a sideways glance. I was utterly shocked and then livid at this response. This is *not* customer service, she didn't even try to "fix things" which is the number one rule of customer service. She did not try to apologize, explain, comp, offer a future discount or anything.

I have stayed at over 40 Best Westerns across the country(and even the other one just on the other side of the French Quarter 3 years ago) and this was the single most incredibly poor experience I've ever had with a Best Western.

So, overall, my advice is to stay here if you really want the good location and a decent nightly rate, but do so with the clear understanding that the staff(and ultimately the onsite management) is likely the worst example possible within the otherwise decent Best Western family of hotels. You are really rolling the dice handing your keys to the valets there(and who knows what negligence they will treat your car with while behind the wheel out of your view!). A giant scrape on my front, left rim is not the souvenir I was expecting to get in New Orleans! Also, the sidewalk is at a high angle to the street, so be careful when opening your door(and watch that the valet is too!) or that will likely get raked over the concrete as well.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Scott-from-Texas

We appreciate the nice comment regarding our hotel and location. We are sincerely sorry for the problem you experienced with Parking. Since we are in the dense downtown area of New Orleans, We have contracted with central Parking Services, Inc. to handle the parking need to our guest. Usually they do a great job and are responsive to any guest needs or concerns. We apologies for any issue great experiences darning their stay with us.

Reviewed 17 July 2011

The hotel is in the perfect downtown place to see the city, it looks lovely inside however do not be sucked in!!!!!
We were 2 friends male and female travelling together, when we arrived we were met by a lovely man(Quenten) booked us in gave us our room perfect - then we opened the door - we had a kingsize bed!!!! no other bed at all in the room and since Im a married woman and my male friend is gay this was totally unacceptable! Right back down to reception and explained the situation - we had booked a queen queen room which we believed contained 2 queen size beds? Yes thats what the room we had booked was however the hotel was full and they had no other rooms to offer us!!!! the nightmare began!!! There was no roll away bed to offer us and the best he could do was give us extra bedding so my friend could sleep on the floor!!!!! We paid for 2 beds and my friend had to spend the night on the floor - great start!!!! We were assured this could be easily sorted out at 9am when the manager was back in
Next morning after a very uncomfortable night for my friend on the floor we went at 10am expecting to be able to speak with the manager - was met by a very hostile receptionist who informed us of 3 different time the manager would be in work. when i questioned she had given me 3 different times, without even allowing me to finish what i was saying she shouted at me - erm i thought we were the guests in the hotel and they were providing us with a service??? We were given another room at 11.30 however still didnt see the manager of the hotel until about 2.30pm and then our niightmare really began. She told us we got what we paid for - we were really shocked since we were holding a booking confirmation that stated we had booked a room with 2 beds - OK the manager said we have sorted it now whats the problem? even more shocked now we explained we had paid for 2 beds and only received one, she then said she would speak to Bookit.com and see if she could get us a refund for the night we only had 1 bed - ok we thought thats fair enough and we went about our holiday.
The next morning we got up late and went down to reception about 10.30 to see who were had been told was the manager the day before however she was sat in the lobby on a sofa talking to someone - so as not to be rude and interrupt her we decided to go out and see her later, however as we reached the door of the hotel she looked up and shouted across the hotel "Bookit.com said they would refund you 20%" I was so embarrassed by this outburst in front of other guessed I just said "thank you and left" however when we spoke to Bookit.com later that day they said they didnt say they would refund anything. We were feeling quite upset by this time and decided to contact Best Western Customer Services who informed us the person we had been speak to (the manager) was not the manager at all so things got worse - we got the name of the General Manager of the hotel and spoke to her and then things really did get bad. She screamed at us on the phone to check out of the hotel - oh my god I really couldnt believe this was happening and really believed there was no way things could get any worse however they did. After the General Manager had told us how sorry she was for what she said the very next morning there was a banging on our door like there was a fire in the building since we had put the "do not disturb" sign on our door we really did think there must be some sort of emergency that someone would bang on our door so loudly and with the sign there. My friend opened the door and a woman burst through it and right away began shouting at me - I was in total shock and had no idea who this woman was! I asked very calmly excuse me who are you? she informed me she was in fact the General Manager and wanted us out of her hotel by 11.30am at this point it was actually 11.45am when i asked why she informed me that I had complained that the iron in the room was not working right!!!!
We choose to ignore this person however it did have a very big impact on the rest of our stay - we feared to go out of the hotel and leave our belongings in case they were not there on our return, we feared to speak to any of the staff in case this woman became irrational again and our room was never cleaned from that day on - to get clean towels we had to go to reception and ask for them daily and anything else we didnt dare ask for.
So if you want somewhere that looks nice on the surface, you get screamed at by the staff and you fear for your things then this is the place for you. However if you want somewhere you will receive polite professional staff then go somewhere else and I have not exaggerated any of this if anything I have not expressed just how bad it really was

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
10  Thank rosie_priestley
BWChristopher, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

The guest booked this room through Bookit.com and chose their lowest rate room which is the Run of the House ("ROH") room type. In this room type we offer a interior double double room (a room with two (2) double beds) or a Queen room (a room with one (1) queen bed) however neither room type is guaranteed as this is why it is called the "Run of the House". When the guest arrived there were no rooms available with two (2) double beds. The best way to insure a certain room type is to book directly with Best Western.

There are no double queen bed rooms in our hotel and they are certainly not offered on Bookit.com. For the miss-understanding or miss-commutating with Bookit.com we provided our deepest apology. We also move the guest in to a room with (2) two double beds first thing the very next day.

We also provided her with a gift bag that including many New Orleans favorites, four complementary drink card and two complementary Audubon Institute tickets and a card apologizing for any inconvenience.

Let me assure you that at the Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel we strive to accommodate each and every quest with their request. Again the best way to insure a certain room type is to book directly with Best Western.

In a message dated 7/21/2011 4:58:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time, gm@stchristopherhotel.com writes:
The guest booked our lowest rated room which is the ROH = run of the house any last rooms available. As a ROH we offer a interior double double (a room with two (2) double beds) or a Queen (a room with one (1) queen bed) nether room type is guaranteed and we do not have in the entire property a room with two (2) queen beds. For the miss-understanding or miss-commutating we provide our deepest apology and had the guest moved to a room with (2) two double beds first thing the very next day.

We also provided her with a gift bag that including many New Orleans items, four complementary drink card and two complementary Audubon Institute tickets with a card apologizing for any inconvenience.

Let me assure you that at the Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel we strive to accommodate each and every quest with there request.

Maria N. Figueroa, CHA

Certified Hotel Administrator

Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel

"Director's Award Winner for Quality Assurance"

"Best of the Best Design Award Recipient"

114 Magazine Street

New Orleans, LA 70130

504-648-0444

504-648-0450 fax

Toll Free Reservations 800-645-9312

stchristopherhotel.com

TAKE A TOUR

Reviewed 11 July 2011

I can not say enough nice things about this location and its staff. It was not the Waldorff but for the price we were extremely pleased.

Room Tip: I booked through expedia