“St Christopher Hotel Best Western, New Orleans” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel
Ranked #67 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brooksville, Florida
“St Christopher Hotel Best Western, New Orleans”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Traveling with friends we stayed there for 5 days in July and had a great time. This is an older property with a wonderful location, within walking distance of most venues and cable car connections. I will start by complimenting the hotel staff for their courteous service and kudos to the bartender for her personality (sorry, I can't recall her name)..Love their Thurs-Sat drink offerings in the lounge. Room sizes are adequate, clean and the bedding comfortable. Our 1st room had a non-working A/C. Luckily another room was available with a working unit. The complaint about their HVAC system it's so loud when it comes on you are constantly dealing with volume issues on the TV or device you may have brought with you. Our friend's room had a working A/C but it NEVER shut off. The 2nd issue dealt with some housekeeping glitches which required having to make phone calls to replace toilet tissue, toiletries. and one time linens were not replaced. They were delivered promptly right from the dryer. The breakfast was a nice surprise with a pancake maker and selections that should satisfy anyone.. The downside is the eating area is small so seating sometimes is an issue. Overall, not a bad hotel and I would stay there again but I would call first to see if they have upgraded or replaced their HVAC system. Another plus is the free in- room wifi and refrigerator. .

Room Tip: Our first room had a king-size bed which was ok but when having to move we were put in a 2-bed room...
Green Features: The ones I noticed were the water/linens and recycling of certain items. There may be others of which I am not aware.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tashena J, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Sharon,

Thanks for your review! we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay! I want you to know that the legitimate comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we’re doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

sincerely Tashena JOhnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Agree with other reviewers about the staff—I was checked in by someone who spent the entire time on the phone and never greeted me. Room was clean, but poorly lit, and had a bit of a dank smell. Location is good if you don't mind a bit of a walk (I don't), price is probably fair.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Tashena J, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a review on tripadvisor.

The St. Christopher Best Western strives to make their stay enjoyable. The principal goal of the St. Christopher is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it is disappointing to learn that you’re unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate action has been taken. We take pride in the St. Christopher and do our best to prevent problems from recurring.

sincerely Tashena Johnson
Fort Stockton, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed there on August 3 2014. We had two rooms. This was not our first time at this hotel. The air conditioner broke during the night. It was horrible. Upon waking up miserable and complaining, the manager did nothing to compensate us. The entire hotel air conditioning was out. Inexcusable. Ill rate the hotel a dud on every site i find

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have windiws. Dont get 303 or 403
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ccircleb
Dear Valued guest

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincere apology.

Sincerely Tashena Johnson
New Orleans, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is very nice. The staff were all very helpful with every request I had. The room was clean and unique to this location with a brick accent wall. Breakfast in the morning was a tasty and unexpected surprise. This hotel is perfectly located near all the New Orleans action, and perfect for a romantic getaway! One thing, you will have to valet your car unless you pay for street parking. But other than that, it was a great experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Jessica,

Thank you for taking the time out to give the St Christopher Hotel a wonderful review on tripavisor. We are very Pleased the you enjoyed your stay and that we meet all of your hotel and Personal Needs. Please come and stay with us again when you are in New Orleans La.! don't forget to tell all of your friends and Family.

Sincerely Tashena Johnson
Lake Wales, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Check-in was ok. The room was small, but pleasantly appointed. We had breakfast in the hotel the first morning of our visit. Breakfast staff was rude to several guests. Breakfast selection was less than average. Tables were not kept cleaned between parties.

The hotel is located close to many restaurants, sights. One can easily walk to most places. Just be aware of the crumbling sidewalks everywhere.

Would recommend you stay in room while it is being cleaned. Several of our things were moved (they were set on the desk) and items - that had been carefully packed - were laying on the desk. A hair clip was mysteriously missing from the bathroom. Still waiting on staff to finish their "investigation."

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kinisha S, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
LAFAYETTE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

First impressions are very important, especially in the hospitality business. Let me begin by saying that I am fairly easy to please, but when I walked up to the front desk at the St. Christopher I was not made to feel like I was a welcomed guest. When I arrived and approached the front desk, the clerk was very apparently on a personal call, and did not say a word to me. She continued on with her conversation and after several minutes decided to hang up and register me. My thought was, that was very unprofessional. It was 3 PM and there were no rooms of the type that I had reserved that were clean. I had things to do so I checked my bag and was told that the room should be ready in about an hour. The front desk clerk volunteered to call me when the room was ready. Never did receive that call, another bad impression.

Returned later that evening checked in with a different front desk clerk, without incident and went to my room. It was a case of watch out what you ask for you just might get it. I asked for a room away from street noise and away from the elevators if possible. I got a room not far from the elevator but it was definitely away from street noise. There was no window, except for the make believe window made from mirrors and curtains. Not really a bad situation just very unusual. The room was small but clean and well appointed. I got what I wanted a good night sleep and a hot shower in the morning. Breakfast was good as a continental breakfast can be. I got the same poor attitude at check out as at check in. They ignored me for a while, then sign here. No how was your stay, thank you for staying with us, hope you return soon.

Would I stay at the St. Christopher again, probably yes, if the rate was right.

My suggestion would be for the owners to get professional training for their front desk staff, because they definitely do not know how to work the front desk properly.

Room Tip: Unless your room is high above street level ask for a room away from the street. It can get really n...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Imaspacecowboy
Thank you for your comments. We're so sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit at The Best Western plus St. Christopher Hotel.
Bennington, Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

My review would concur with most already listed. Pretty nice place to stay. Clean. Near to the Quarter, restaurants, the river, the trolley/street car stops (get the day pass for $3.00 and get on and off anywhere you want! Pay the driver with exact cash when you get on.)... Hotel is a reasonable rate for the area and the beds are comfortable. The breakfast with pancake machine was adequate. The brick walls are beautiful!

Upon our check in the attendant was very professional, dry, factual.

Upon my sister's check in, we were told repeatedly by a different attendant, "Check in is Not Guaranteed for 4 p.m." And so we waited and waited for their room - well after 4. Had the woman said, "I am sorry, we ended up being understaffed today and so housekeeping is running behind..." or something, this review would be quite different. The desk attendant was rude.

I wish I had read more about this hotel on Tripadvisor before I booked here. I now see others had the same experience. We booked a room as a gift for my sister and her husband and the first impression, because of this attendant's behavior, was very poor. With so many hotels nearby and in the French Quarter, I was surprised at this greeting.

The rooms are nice. We requested and did get an upper windowed room, though not the corner room we asked for nor one facing the river. We requested the same for my sister and she got no corner room, no window at all -but the skylight in her room was nice. The attendant above had unfriendly council on this issue as well but I hesitate to write a totally negative review based on one staff person's discourtesy.

Merlin, the concierge, and the housekeeping staff were friendly, professional and helpful.

We had many friends staying at the Sheraton just steps around the corner from our hotel and we are glad to not be there.The Sheraton has no free wifi, the escalator was down one full day, and people had to wait sometimes 25 minutes for an elevator - which isn't a problem unless you are on the 40th floor.

Overall I might consider staying again at the Best Western St. Christopher but more likely would opt for the Place 'D Armes, the Bourbon Orleans Hotel or one of the true classic New Orleans offerings.

Room Tip: Insist on an upper room with a view. Inside rooms and Jacuzzi rooms have no windows.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lori P
I’m deeply sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at The Best Western plus St. Christopher Hotel. This is highly uncharacteristic of our staff, as we pride ourselves on being efficient and very helpful with all our guests. The experience you received is not acceptable and that’s not what we promote. However, I want to send out my deepest apology for your experience, I hope in the future if you travel to New Orleans you give us a second chance.