“Totaly waste of monet”

New Orleans Music Tours
Ranked #95 of 224 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: 'New Orleans Music Tours' says it all. We give tours of New Orleans Music. Walking tours through music history in the French Quarter and Louis Armstrong National Jazz Park. Evening tours of jazz and historic New Orleans cocktails. Nightclub tours of traditional jazz and blends of traditional with Gypsy, Parisian and street-folk-jazz. Our music tours and music experiences all share the 300 year history that make New Orleans the most influential city in popular music. "Music Gumbo" is our most famous tour. For teens and adults. It is a day-time two hour walking tour through the French Quarter and Armstrong Park. This is great for student groups also. On Music Gumbo you'll stand in historic locations and hear behind the scenes stories of the development of jazz and rock and roll. The stories come to life with snippets of the original recordings played for you on our handheld digital player pods. The 'Jazz On The Rocks' tour is for over 21 adults focuses on the story of the developing years of jazz. During those early days of jazz New Orleanians also created some jazzed up cocktails that are often as fun watch being made as they are to drink. Ramos Gin Fizz shaken 40 times. The Sazerac's perfume of absinthe or herbsaint with sugar, rye whisky and a special twist. The Sazerac is the official cocktail of the city of New Orleans. The Louisiana State legislature voted it so. "Night On The Town" is also a over 21 tour experience that is limited to smaller groups so we can move in and out of the clubs and streets with ease. It an early evening visit to the Frenchmen Street district one block outside of the Quarter. It's less of a tour than it is a live music experience in the city's hot spot of interesting music clubs, bars and hangouts. Its a great introduction to local live entertainment that only a professional tour guide local could show you. New Orleans Music Tours loves to share the history of what makes this city them most influential city in popular music. We thing you'll agree with us. All of our guides are hand picked and City Of New Orleans licensed.
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Totaly waste of monet”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Come on guys!!!! Absolutely waste of the money!!!! Just go to Frenchmen street and walk from bar to bar. This is what only our guide showed us and also told that Tuesday the worst day to make a tour.... I've asked him : Is Monday better? He told: Definitely yes.... And that is after I send emails with a request for Monday..... If that is worst day , why at all to make a tour???? We anticipated to hear some great stories about city , jazz , musicians , but he only took us from bar to bar....
Looks like tourist trap.... Again just go to Frenchmen street and enjoy jazz.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Barber2539
Will N, Owner at New Orleans Music Tours, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
The experience you had is certainly not the intent of Night On The Town. We've certainly fallen short on developing an additional guide to our team. He's a greatly experienced guide with years of experience. We didn't follow through on our training plan and I greatly apologize.

Missoula, Montana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A great Walking Music tour.”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Four of us did a walking music tour with Dave. His use of recorded music was very helpful and brought the place to life, since none of us were great music experts. Dave was very knowledgeable about many features of New Orleans and the French Quarter, not just music. I highly recommend this walking tour.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Clarisse J
Will N, Owner at New Orleans Music Tours, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Having guides with a broad experience in New Orleans history is important to us. The development of music is woven into everything from food to fine uptown Garden District living. Thanks for the great review.
Geneva, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“New Orleans Music Tour”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Can't say enough good things about our tour with Dave on 3/30/14. Wonderful way to kick off our trip and get insights on the history of music in this great city. Dave was very gracious and led an interesting fact filled tour that never lacked in it's presentation. Very easy to talk with and ask questions on a one to one basis. Especially enjoyed the music he would play on his iPod to highlight the artists we were talking about on our journey. After tour, we asked for spots and groups that were in town while we were there and he laid out a map of venues for the rest of our trip that made it seem like we were locals hitting all the non touristy places. This certainly took our trip to another level.

Will recommend this tour to anyone we know heading to the Crescent City!!
Thanks Dave!

Don and Andrea

Visited March 2014
3 Thank Don S
Will N, Owner at New Orleans Music Tours, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dave is the guy that creates the New Orleans Music Tours play lists. He's an ace at the recorded stuff and also keeps up with the live music scene all over town. Considering the multitude of music venues and the plethora of musicians there's a lot to keep up with. Venues mentioned by Dave over the recent weeks - a community center, one church, a couple of neighborhood street parades, various night clubs, a high school and can't count the festivals and festival specific bands referred to in recent weeks. Dave knows his live music.
Culver City, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great musical history experience in NOLA”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband and I had a private tour with Will Norris on our recent trip to New Orleans as we were the only ones on this particular walking tour. What a treat! We had never taken a music tour of the city and we found Will to be the real deal. He has true experience with the city and its music culture and he shared some of that experience with us. He was very knowledgeable, but at the same time we could talk to him as one would talk to your friends about music. He had notes from which he was working, but it was not a memorized speech that he had repeated over and over as many tour guides do. We had a great time and truly enjoyed meeting and spending time with Will and seeing the city thru his eyes. We even met up with him later at a music club on Frenchmen Street where he was taking another tour. He greeted me as a friend, not a customer. He is a genuinely nice person with a lot of knowledge about New Orleans and its music history. I highly recommend the Music Gumbo Tour with Will Norris.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank pattytowne
Ahhh. You saw my crib sheet. There's so much history in this city that one new item, be it tale or fact can lead to a whole 'nuther nest of stuff to share. Sometimes small things can influence the larger story. Other times it takes a little hammering to get a name or a date fixed in my mind only to realize once again that details of names and dates often don't improve the story or impress the the listeners. c'est la vie

When people walk the Music Gumbo tour during the day and then are swingin' to the beat with a hot-jazz band that night it goes without saying - You get it.
Cleveland, OH
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A real letdown ”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

I hate writing a poor review but don't want others to waste their money. Will is a REALLY nice guy who is very accommodating and friendly and clearly loves music and New Orleans. Unfortunately, for us who really know nothing about jazz and New Orleans we were hoping to get a great education, especially based on previous reviews. We could have been sitting in a library listening to a 2 hour lecture for as much as Will uses the city to tell his story. Unfortunately his story telling style was disjointed and was difficult to understand. I often didn't understand the points he was trying to make and his answers to questions was confusing. I am sorry to be so critical but maybe there is a certain audience that will appreciate this tour. It's not for those who are trying to grasp the basics of the music scene of New Orleans. Sorry! And sorry for the $60 we spent on this tour!

1 Thank jaredan
Will N, Owner at New Orleans Music Tours, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Your critique is truly important to me as a tour guide. Many times I realize that my stories are becoming disjointed and a bit confusing. For one I really need to practice relaxing and slowing down. I know the stories but I'm going too fast for my guests (clients), too fast for myself. You've kicked me in rear. I'm surrounded by some of the top guides in the city who I've today called on to shape me up on story telling and presentation.

You are very kind recognize and share some of my positive qualities.