“Beautiful oasis in the lovely Garden District”

Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District
Ranked #84 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Beautiful oasis in the lovely Garden District”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

From the moment I arrived, this hotel made my visit memorable.

I've visited New Orleans several times and stayed in various areas all over the city, including in the Quarter several times. For this visit, I was originally going to stay at a favorite hotel in the Warehouse District but it was partially booked over my scheduled stay. I didn't necessarily want to stay in the Garden District, even though I love it, mostly because with French Quarter Fest and several other things planned, I had wanted to be closer to the action. But I took a chance on this hotel, based on several good reviews, and boy am I ever glad I did!

The location is prime, really. It's right on St. Charles, closer to Lee Circle than Audubon Park, and the streetcar stops directly outside the front door. So you are quite literally minutes from everywhere. It's about an 18 minute ride to Canal Street, which is right on the edge of the French Quarter, and it's always a pleasant ride. If it's later than you thought and you need a cab, the front desk will call one for you as hailing one from out there isn't really feasible. But catching a cab from the Quarter out to the hotel is easy and inexpensive.

When I checked in, I was about five hours early, since my flight was at the crack of dawn, and at first the sweet girl at the front desk wasn't sure she could get me in. I was resigned to leave my luggage and go on a walkabout to the Quarter and come back later in the evening when my room was ready. But not only did she manage to find me a room, she managed to find me a BETTER room than the one I reserved, and did so at the same rate, only because I'm a points member and it's my birthday! It was a lovely surprise and a great relief to come to my room, which was absolutely beautiful.

So the room itself has wood floors, large sofa/seating area, huge king-sized bed, and wall-to-wall windows. The big screen TV was expected but still always nice. Bathroom is, in a word, huge. Gargantuan sink space and a great walk-in shower. Now, I've read people complaining about the shower and/or lack of tub, but I'm not a bath person at all and I love love LOVE the shower here. Great craftsmanship and a fabulous stone floor. In the rest of the room I really liked having the wood floors because I personally don't like carpet at all. The bed is a dream -- super comfortable, not too soft, not over pillowed, a great sleep every night.

I managed to get a room on the side of the hotel at the back -- I'd recommend this side of the hotel for anyone who wants peace and quiet. I didn't hear a single peep out of ANYONE on my floor or anywhere else the entire time. And I was there over French Quarter Fest! I think the fact that it's outside of the Quarter deters hard-core Quarter partiers from staying and therefore reduces the loudness factor. But I could be wrong on this.

The food in the restaurant far surpassed that of other hotels I've stayed in and was so good I chose to eat there two nights in a row after having less-than-stellar meals at some old-school Quarter restaurants. If I'd been with a group, I probably would not have done this, and would have ventured out to Uptown or the Garden District for some good eats. But as I was by myself and it was after dark and I hadn't made reservations, it was really nice to be able to come back to the hotel and know that I could have a decent meal in a pinch. (Try the muffaletta salad. You won't be sorry.)

The service, in general, was fantastic. Staff was always friendly and attentive. They're relatively young and I've read that some people found them inexperienced, but I didn't really note that. Everyone tried to do their best to accommodate my requests and needs and I saw no evidence of laxness or immaturity. It is a young property and is still finding its feet, but it's a part of the InterContinental Hotel Group, so even though it's young by hotel standards, it's still a professionally run and maintained hotel.

The lobby, bar, restaurant, grounds and building in general are great. Very stylish and modern without being cold. And fantastic jazz playing 24/7 on the sound system.

I did not visit the gym or other facilities so I can't attest to their quality.

All in all, a lovely experience with friendly and helpful staff. I will return again and again and in fact am already planning on scheduling a visit with my mom in July.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the back facing the side, not the front. The building is shaped like a backwards L...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ehdailey
Catie M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us during French Quarter Fest. Thanks for mentioning a number of great features about the hotel- the location, the service, and the beautiful accomodations. We hope to see you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Maple City, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

The good: comfortable bed, large room, quiet and controllable ventilation system, no smoke smell anywhere, great bacon at breakfast; all the amenities you would expect; street car stop just outside. The bad: poor shower design, complete with water all over the floor; no racks for hanging towels or handwashing - only pegs; bedside lamp with nowhere to connect it (hotel did provide extension cord on request, but why should I have to request??); no regular black tea offered at restaurant - bring your own; great granola one day, burnt the next; loud door-closing - why?; hotel generally seems understaffed, especially front desk and breakfast / bar service. Friendly but s-l-o-w.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Rooms were very nice and comfortable. Not sound proof...as we heard every door opening and closing all morning long.
Really cool bathrooms.

Nice bar area.
they are still a work in progress. There was a private function for Indigo employees from around the country. They did not like that we were in their space for awhile having cocktails and browsing the first floor area. They could have been more welcoming to us. (and we didn't need their food).
the valet parking is a plus!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear djollyis,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It is nice to know you found our rooms to be comfortable and our bar area to be pleasing. I am sorry that the sound proofing conditions bothered you. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

I hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements on your next trip to the area.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Beautifully decorated in modern yet comfortable styling. Staff is exceptionally helpful and friendly. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. In rooms that have adjoining doors there is some spill-over of noise due to the space under the doorway. Location is ideal with the trolley stop right out front. Access to the French Quarter, Warehouse District and beyond is extremely convenient from this local without dealing with the noise of the quarter. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without an adjoining door.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AnotherDayOnTheRoad
Catie M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Thanks for the amazing review! We're glad you enjoyed everything from the neighborhood to our "modern yet comfortable" style. Our location does have that bonus of being very close to downtown but it retains the different, beautiful atmosphere of the Garden District. Again, thank you!
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Indigo on a recent trip to New Orleans. Great location - close enough to the hub-bub of the French Quarter (15 minute streetcar ride away), but far enough to be a quiet haven. Rooms were spacious and comfortable, and the staff was very friendly. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank MRMChicago
Thank you so much for your review! We're glad you liked our friendly service, convenient location, and spacious rooms-- and we'd like to see you again too!
Naperville, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

I have to preface this review by saying that I have not stayed in this hotel. However, I have had a very disappointing and, frankly, just plain rude customer service experience as I've tried to get them to communicate with me regarding a block of rooms for my son's wedding next year in 2014.

I spoke with the sales manager around March 15th of this year (2013), who was very nice at that time and assured me that she would be calling me back on March 28th to reserve the block of rooms, as her booking calendar required a certain number of weeks and the 28th was when the dates I was inquiring about were open on her books.

When April 2nd or so came and left with no communication from this sales manager, I called her number and left messages twice, with no return of my call. I next called the "customer care" manager and left a message about the communication problems I was experiencing, and never got a return call from her either.

As a matter of fact, when I hit the prompt to take me to the front desk so that I could ask for the general manager, I never even got an answer; it just kept ringing and ringing! If you look at Hotel Indigo's main website, there is no way to contact their management that I can find easily.

Considering that my son lives in New Orleans and we are likely to be visiting there on a regular basis, I have to say that given this very poor service I'd be remiss to trust the service at any level at this hotel. Something is very wrong here! You're much better off considering either the Best Western or the Hampton Inn that are just down the street from here. My experiences with them have been good.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DiannaW449
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear DiannaW449,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

We stayed in this hotel for spring break. The room was clean, the only problem is they were doing renovations and heard some noise. Overall the staff were friendly, except for one receptionist was a bit rude.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple