“Quiet location, great room design”

Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District
Ranked #84 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Phoenix, Arizona
“Quiet location, great room design”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

"Quiet" for me may mean "boring" to you. The hotel is definitely away from the action, so make sure you know what kind of a NOLA experience you want before you book here. Valet service was a little slow at check-in, but we didn't have any issues with the valet for the rest of our stay. My favorite parts about this hotel were the HUGE bathroom, the comfortable bed, and the modern design elements. The rooms had a lot of personality. Being away from the tourist areas takes a bit of planning, so make sure you have your day planned in advance. The street car does drop off right in front of the hotel, but if you've been drinking in the quarter and your feet hurt and it's 2AM and you don't feel like trying to figure out where the heck the streetcar is, you'll find yourself using a Taxi. A lot. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient, the bar looked nice (although we never stopped in), and I really liked the high-end Aveda toiletries. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay.

2 Thank TXAndrea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Birmingham, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

This was our second stay at a Hotel Indigo - San Fran and now N.O. I will always look for these properties any time I travel. I just love the feel of the hotels. Very plush without being stuffy. Trendy without being silly. This one is right on the street car line so all of the city is just steps away with your $3 day pass. The room was very clean and stylish, the bathroom was big with a welcoming shower. Enjoyed a nice breakfast in the lobby so don't skip out without stopping for a bite before you run out for the day!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank AlwaysDCgirl
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I came apon this hotel randomly the first week they opened. It is gorgeous, in a great location and the staff was so friendly. I loved the room, it felt very luxurious and was enormous. The shower was huge and so relaxing, but the ONLY problem I had was in the shower. I think I may have been the first guess to stay in the hotel because in the shower there was a loose rock with a very sharp edge that I cut myself on. Nothing serious but it was still annoying.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Tony C
Lafayette, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

The Indigo would be inconvenient to Downtown and the Quarter were it not for the street car line right at its front doorstep. With that, fifteen minutes or less and you're right in the middle of everything.

Buy the $3 day pass; you'll save a dollar or two and you don't need to worry about keeping the right change handy.

The hotel rooms are spacious and clean; we had a standard king on the 9th floor, looking out across St. Charles toward the river. Nice view, and quiet.

Breakfast is good; try the District, and enjoy the grits, in particular.

Room Tip: Ask for the 9th floor, facing St. Charles Avenue.
1 Thank shetlandskid
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear shetlandskid,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Parker
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Came here to celebrate an anniversary and attend a wedding and I have to say that the hotel overall lived up to my expectations. We were very convenient to where our friend's wedding ceremony which was across the street at the House of Broel and wedding reception up the street at Emeril's Delmonico. We were able to get downtown and the french quarter and other attractions with ease. This hotel had easy access to nearby bars, pubs and restaurants and even had a Walgreens within a few blocks. We took advantage of hotel breakfast every morning which was quite filling (shrimp and grits is a must!) and used the valet several times a day, which was quick and efficient and well worth the $20/day fee, even with the late/early hours of us coming and going. Executive King room was perfect and decorated nice and quite clean. Enjoyed the complimentary USA Today in the mornings and business center was good. Housekeeping was quick, staff was prompt, friendly and knowledgable. I would definitely stay here again and recommend the hotel. My only two gripes, hotel elevator is super small and although I asked for a mini fridge to be put in my room upon making my reservation b/c I have insulin that needs to be kept cold (refrigerator not standard in the rooms, no extra cost for one to be delivered); upon our arrival refrigerator was not in the room, but it was delivered within 20mn. So staff corrected the mistake promptly. Very impressed, keep up the good work!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 321, Exec King Room, which was all the way down the hall at the end. We did not h...
2 Thank Michelle D
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed at Hotel Indigo for 7nights a very clean hotel, very friendly and helpful staff. Lovely spacious room with beautiful clean bed linen and towels. Very comfy queen type bed - excellent choice. The area was good and the street car was just across the road so very handy and it runs very frequently. The reason visiting New Orleans was to see my granddaughter who is studying at Loyola University.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Glenham, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I received an invitation to book discounted rooms as part of a package on flights, so for $99 / night, there was no reason to not check it out. I had read some of the past reviews of this place and they seemed to be mixed, so I wasn't expecting a lot, but on the same token, I wasn't expecting low-range service and accommodations from an IHG hotel.

We were greeted promptly by the valet who gave us check in instructions and unloaded our bags. I am the "Its ok, I got it.", kind of guy, so I brought the bags to the room myself, but I am sure that if I'd asked for someone to bring them, that they would have taken care of it. Being out of season, their staff was a touch sparse, but adequate.

They were quick to check us in, even though our flight got us into New Orleans and to the hotel almost three hours early. The lobby was well appointed and the elevators and halls were generally clean. One word of warning...if you have claustrophobia, you may have a problem with these elevators, as two people plus a rolling cart of luggage was a tight squeeze.

The rooms on the other hand.....quite spacious and the decor was very eclectic. If you paid close attention, you could tell that the murals in the rooms were actually from elsewhere on the property. The bed was large and comfortable, the view of the bridge was very nice from the 8th floor and the full room-length windows allowed for a grand view or complete privacy when having the blackout shades pulled. There is a wall thermostat and central air / heat in the room so you don't have a loud, wall unit to deal with, cable tv is provided at no charge and there is phone and internet in the room.

The bathroom had a large, spacious shower with a glass door, and ample counter space for all your stuff is provided at the sink. A large sliding door closes out the rest of the room from the bathroom.

The hotel is directly on the trolley line (which runs most of the day / night) and is within walking distance of a great deal of eateries. At the recommendation of the person serving at the bar, we went to a restaurant down the street and it was delicious. Zea Grill had the most amazing corn grits, and the Korean Tacos were flavorful and mouth watering. It was a top recommendation from the staff that we made sure to return and thank her for.

You have to take three trolleys to get to the French Quarter, but I would have to say that they are clean and easy to ride on, so don't be put off by the distance to the action. It was nice to return "home" after a day out sightseeing and relax where I knew it would be fairly quiet and easy to wind down.

All in all....I would say that if you want a place that's not "right in the middle of it" that this is a great place to stay. We enjoyed ourselves and would go back should we ever return to New Orleans.

1 Thank GetWhatIPayForDiner