“Historic B&B home of grandeur”
Review of La Belle Esplanade

La Belle Esplanade
Ranked #1 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I traveled to NOLA for a family wedding, and found La Belle to be a perfect spot away from the rowdyness of the French Quarter, but close to anything that the locals do.
Matthew stayed up late waiting for our late plane arrival, and gave us a tour even as we dragged our tired bones in. The next morning, breakfast was served with the best local foods, all with a story. No hotel will ever do this kind of local sourcing and explanation. We got great ideas for places to go, like the local places for jazz, and tips to keep us going in the right direction on the myriad one way streets. As aspiring B&B innkeepers, they gave us a wealth of information, and showed why they are such wonderful hosts and ambassadors for New Orleans. A true treat and a pleasure to stay with them. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: The stairs to the second floor use a beautiful old winding stair. Pelican suite had lots of space...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Matthew K, General Manager at La Belle Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

We wish you both the best of luck on your new career. It's very rewarding to be an innkeeper. We're keeping an eye on your website to help celebrate opening day! Thanks for staying with us. A votre sante, -M&M

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This Place was unbelivable! Mattew and Melanie are great hosts with so much local Knowledge of their city. The are excellent at reading what type of traveller you are all ways advise of great adventures. My wife I travel alot and are always looking for out of the way not so tourist local spots to enjoy the real Culture and Vibes of a great City like NOLA. With so much history and diverse culture. The Room was awesome and the Breakfast was always exciting great local food and good intelligent conversation. With the onwers about what you plan to, what you did, is there anything you what to know. Also with 5 rooms there was always great conversation with at least one or to other groups of guests. Thankyou M&M you made our stay awesome and will be recommending La Belle Esplanade to anyone one that travels to New Orleans. The location is great right the middle of Esplanade Avenue a Beautiful street. They are just a short walk to the French Quarter and a short walk to City Park. The B&B is also in the Treme. Once Thankyou Mattew & Melanie for agreat stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you. We do try to make your stay the best it can be. Thanks for leaving us that note about your adventures at Lola's. You left New Orleans knowing more than some of the people who live here. Don't be strangers. Best wishes, -M&M

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Wow! What can I say. Matthew and Melanie are the most helpful, generous, competent and devoted B&B owners I have ever had the privilege of meeting. Staying at La Belle Esplanade is a dream! Affordable, furnished with such detail and personal touches to beat any hotel and serving delicious and locally sourced breakfast every day (breakfast choices change every day so it never becomes boring)....what more could you want?! Upon arrival Matthew and Melanie will provide maps and advice for where to go and what to see (insight only a local would know!). They also provide umbrellas if it rains! Melanie even helped me when I couldn't venture out to find food in the downpour, going out of her way to help. I cannot express fully what an incredible gem La Belle is and a stay in New Orleans is not complete without a stay at La Belle Esplanade. Only 30 minutes walk down the road from both the French Quarter and City Park. I've even persuaded my parents to stay there next year! Thanks for an incredible stay Matthew and Melanie!

Room Tip: The Pelican room is the honeymoon suite. I booked it as a individual traveler not realising it was t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Matthew K, General Manager at La Belle Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Your mother called the day after you left and I told her she has a lovely daughter. We're glad to learn she may be coming to visit. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and good guests make good company. We hope you come to New Orleans again, too. Cheers! M&M

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This was our first experience staying at a Bed and Breakfast and we thoroughly enjoyed La Belle Esplanade!! Matthew and Melanie were gracious hosts who gave us great recommendations for local restaurants and entertainment. If you want to stay in the heart of a historic New Orleans neighborhood, this is the place to be! We walked to the City Park, the French Quarter, and several restaurants on Esplanade Avenue without any concerns. Thanks to Matthew and Melanie for our great stay!

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank 940jessicaf
Matthew K, General Manager at La Belle Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

We hope your stay with us didn't ruin the Drury Inn for you afterwards. I was in the lobby the other day over there; it's nice but it's got a different vibe. We're glad we could be your first B&B and we hope you'll stay at many more---except the next time you're in New Orleans. Then we want you to stay with us. You have two friends here. -M&M.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

La Belle Esplanade gets consistently rave reviews for good reasons, as confirmed by my stay there in May 2014. Rather than repeating the great things people have said about both the owners and the property on this forum, I will highlight a few personal favorites.

Breakfast is delicious. I'm a fan of the variety, overall quality, and showcasing of local flavors / businesses. i had breakfast there four mornings in a row, and the menu was different every morning. Usually there's something savory (e.g. crawfish pie, chicken empanada, crab cake), something sweet (donuts from a local donut shop), fresh fruit (e.g. pears, kiwis, watermelon), and all kinds of jams made by a local lady. My favorites were the crawfish pie and pickled quail eggs, both for overall deliciousness and the fact they are not so easily obtainable back home in NYC.

The rooms are reasonably priced. There are other B&B and AirBnB options out there that might be slightly (if at all) less expensive, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find an equally quirky and charming alternative, with great hosts and a delicious breakfast to boot. I'm a fan of the Pelican Suite. Check out photos of the Pelican Suite on their website. It has a private balcony with a table and chairs, which can be lovely in the early morning before heading out for the day, or for a glass of wine in the early evening after a day of adventures.

Free bikes. It should be self-evident why this is an awesome perk, so I won't belabor the point.

Book La Belle Esplanade for your next stay in NOLA because businesses like this deserve to thrive. Melanie and Matthew clearly care about excellence in running their B&B, and it shows in the details.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Yuan J
Matthew K, General Manager at La Belle Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you. I can't think of anything else to say.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

It was a wonderful experience. The couple is very friendly without being pushy. The place is nicely decorated, simply charming. Matthew gives you useful information about the city and other activities. I think it is better for a family trip or a couple, otherwise one can feel lonely in the house since Matthew and Melanie do not live there. I recommend La belle Esplanade anyway because the place is simply worth it.
I stayed there in October 2013, and now when I think of New Orleans, I think of La belle Esplanade also. It is a nice memory.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Matthew K, General Manager at La Belle Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

I always say that good memories are made in New Orleans and we're pleased that we could be a part of yours. The property isn't staffed round the clock but we are always nearby and available if needed. This September will be our 2nd anniversary as innkeepers and we hope you'll come to New Orleans again. You have two friends here. -M&M.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

La Belle Esplanade is the perfect place to stay. Matthew and Melanie are warm, friendly, and funny hosts. They made great restaurant and activity recommendations to my friend and I. Breakfast was delicious and different every morning and our room felt like an oasis after a very warm day out on the town. I love the location on Esplanade Avenue; close enough to walk to the French Quarter, but a beautiful and interesting neighborhood in its own right. I can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Autumn H
Matthew K, General Manager at La Belle Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Good guests make good company. If you come back and want to walk to Liuzza's again, we want to go with you. What a great route. A votre sante, -M&M.