“Powerful, Spiritual, Joyful Noise.....Priceless”

St. Augustine Church
Ranked #69 of 381 things to do in New Orleans
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Attended the Sunday Mass on the Solemnity of Christ the King, the last Sunday of Ordinary Time. As a Catholic, faithful or not, the celebration of Mass is spiritually fulfilling but this particular Mass, in this particular church is something very special and should not be missed. The music is certainly the lagniappe of the morning. The traditional Mass is enhanced by the beautiful voices of the Gospel choir with Jazz musician accompaniment. The pastor is moving and thought provoking but not preachy. The Our Father will bring you to tears, as will the meditation vocalist. All are warmly welcome. Took a cab from Faubourg Marigny and then walked back into the FQ for brunch. A truly priceless experience.

2  Thank petsdono
"gospel music"
in 5 reviews
"sunday morning service"
in 5 reviews
"please leave a donation"
"hand clapping"
in 7 reviews
"saxophone"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Took a walking tour which brought me to this church in a part of the city I would not have seen on my own. Highly recommend the walking tours. I also took a walking tour from the Hermann-Grima House to the St. Louis cemetery. Thoroughly enjoyed the walking tours.

1  Thank NewOrleansGumbo
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My Boyfriend and I went here for the Jazzy 10 am mass. We thought we might feel like outsiders, but not at ALL! Everyone was welcoming and towards the end of mass, the priest asked all visitors to stand so they could applaud us for visiting. The gospel choir was very moving and everyone just seemed so happy. This was the first Catholic mass I have been to where I clapped to the music, and It was very fun and I felt like we were all a unit. My boyfriend who isn't catholic liked the homily and commented that it had a good message. Towards the end, the altar server sang remarkably with the choir. You should definitely visit! Also, provide a nice donation, this church was closed at one point and extra funds will help to keep it going.

Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

The words of Abe Lincoln come to mind:
I will never be a Slave
I will never be a Master

This is a powerful reminder.

With Aloha, Anabana