“Friendly, fun, lovely people”

Bottom of the Cup Tea Room
Ranked #22 of 235 Shopping in New Orleans
London
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Friendly, fun, lovely people”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Felt a little leery going in as I haven't frequented these type of businesses before but was made comfortable by friendly staff, nice items and a pleasant reading with Otis. Never had a reading before but Otis made it very easy. Palm and tarot. Received a CD at the end, so I didn't have to worry about remembering all that was being said at the time. Recommended.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Londonfilmbuff10

Allentown, Pennsylvania
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“card reading”
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I had a wonderful time in this shop. If you believe in card readings or not. I had a reading with Otis. He is such a kind person. He made the reading very special to me. When I get back there again I will be visiting this shop again and Otis.

1 Thank B B
Baltimore, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“This Review is Primarily for the Readings; I Did Not Purchase Any Goods”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Please let me note up front that this review is primarily for the readings from the readers who are on duty in little rooms in the back of the shop; I did not purchase any goods at the store. So this review is only for a combined full Tarot reading, palm reading, and tea leaf reading.

I should also mention as a prefatory note that, as part of a pet research project and pet interest of mine, I have, over the past few years, had a number of various types of psychic readings (but most frequently Tarot card readings, followed by palm readings) from readers (aka fortune tellers) in eight cities and regions across the USA, and I have also had some telephone and email tarot readings, procured via the Internet, in that time as well. And, whenever I get these readings, I always insist upon getting a totally "cold" reading, and I always check with the reader up front to be sure that they are willing to work within these constraints. A cold reading is one where the client (that would be myself) does not tell the psychic reader/fortune teller anything about themseves prior to the reading (or during the reading) other than their first name (and also date and place of birth, if the reader requests it), and also perhaps the approximate city/region where they currently live. In other words, in a cold reading is one where the client tells the reader almost nothing about themselves up front, so as not to provide hints, clues or cues that might allow the reader's mind to start to make conjectures in order to embellish the reading.

During one of my recent stays in the French Quarter, I decided, late one weekday morning, to go into this shop for a reading. I asked about readings at the sales counter, and was told that there were a number of small reading rooms in the back of the shop (through a curtain), and that, at any given time, there might be anywhere from two to eight or more readers on duty; I was told that there were six readers on duty at that time (this was late morning, on a Thursday or Friday).

I was informed that the price for a Tarot card reading was about $30 (plus a tip for the reader), but I decided that I wanted a full Tarot card reading, plus a palm reading, plus a tea leaf reading, and I was quoted a total price of about $70 or $80 for all three, which sounded reasonable to me. I stressed, when asking about the readings, that if I were to pay for all three readings, I wanted a totally "cold" reading (see my notes on cold readings above), and asked the clerk if this would be okay with the reader; she replied that this would be fine, and told me that many of her readers actually preferred to to do cold readings, anyway.

And so, I paid for the combined three-in-one reading, and in short order, I was introduced to a slender older woman (she later told me, during a conversation after the reading had ended) that she was a Louisiana native, and she was well over 80 years old who was to be my reader.

The reader led me back to her small reading room (there were at least eight small rooms for private readings off the little corridor at the rear of the shop), and proceeded to put a blank CD into a rather expensive-looking professional-grade CD audio recorder (it turned out that each reading room has one), explaining as she did so that the session would be recorded, and that I would be given the CD recording after the reading had ended.

She started by asking me for my first name and date of birth, both of which I readily provided, and she also wanted to know approximately where I currently lived, which I also answered. She then proceeded to give me a tea leaf reading, which was rather vague at times and often so over-generalized that certain items would have fit one-third of the male population of the US, but she definitely hit the mark on two or three specific items that she could not possibly have guessed, and could only have known if she had been a close friend for years, or if she had visited my house.

My reader, who was very chatty and very pleasant and friendly, followed the tea leaf reading with a brief palm reading (we had agreed in advance, when setting the price, that this part would be brief), followed by a rather lengthy and detailed full Tarot card reading. My observation of both of these latter readings was that they were sometimes overly vague, and, at times, certain things that she shared were so over-generalized that certain items would have fit one-quarter of the male population of the US, but she definitely hit the mark on at least six very specific, and very concrete and detailed significant/notable facts about myself and my life that she could not possibly have guessed in a million years, nor could she have surmised any of these details/items from the scant information that I had shared with her at the beginning of the reading.

Overall, my grading of the quality of the reading was about a 4 out of 10 (where a score of 10 would be an excellent reading; these are very rare.) However, the woman who gave the reading was very friendly and fun to speak with.

I plan to return to this shop on my next stay in the French Quarter to get a reading from another of their many readers.

BTW, this shop was apparently located in a smaller storefront, on Royal Street, for many years before it moved to its current location on Chartres.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Vinny067
Cincinnati, Ohio
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Get into the spirit of New Orleans”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My first afternoon in New Orleans, we saw Bottom of The Cup Team Room and I recognized it from a travel guide review. Three of the four of us had a reading, and really enjoyed it. Two of us had Otis (one palm reading, one tea leaves) and one had someone else. It is $30 (plus tip) for 10 minutes, and having the CD recording made it pretty cool. We all felt that our readings seemed to say things about us that were true, and are anxious to see if the predictions will come true. From the CD's, we can heart a little overlap in our readings, but not a lot. All in all, a really fun way to start the trip in New Orleans!

Visited June 2013
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Interesting & Charming Little Shop”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I went to this little shop when I googled "Where to buy authentic tarot cards, New Orleans" and received a suggestion from Trip Advisor. Very good selection of tarot cards of all sizes, time periods, etc. (My daughter wanted something authentic from New Orleans). The shop featured psychic readings and tea readings, but I did not partake. They must be popular because 2 people made appointments while I was shopping. They also feature a great display of vintage tea reading cups and saucers from the early 1920's to 1970's. I didn't realize how extensive this craft was and the storekeeper was very helpful in explaining the history. Since I knew almost nothing about tarot, he was very friendly and helpful without overselling me or directing me to the most expensive item on the shelf. I always appreciate shop owners who don't take advantage of a customer's lack of knowledge. Fun little adventure in the French Quarter.

Visited May 2013