“Arepas--south american treat and more” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #211 of 1,920 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Latin, South American, Colombian, Spanish
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New Orleans
“Arepas--south american treat and more”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

1-Atmosphere: great set up and decoration, lovely wooden tables and chairs, tipical Colombian music which if you close your eyes you might feel you are in Colombia.
2-Staff: after being there a few times, I have to say that they have improved a lot on the staffing, and now they have better personnel and therefore the customer service is more detail oriented.
3-Food: the taste is absolutely great, very rich in that Colombian flavor for all the Arepas fillings, the chorizo, carne mechada (like a shredded beef), the Reina Pepiada (chicken, avocado, mayo), amongst others are very tasty. The Ajiaco soup (with chicken) is good and if you are hungover it will bring you back to life.!!! Another tipical colombian dish is the Bandeja Paisa, which is most commonly eaten as a brunch. They also have fresh fruit juices.
One thing to bear in mind, is that they prepare each plate/arepa upon order, therefore, if the place is crowed you might have to wait a little longer than expected, but it is worth it.
Price wise, bear in mind this is not the tipical south american restaurant that is a little place where everything is under 5$...This is certainly a more upscale place in every aspect, from the Decor to the food. I do think some of the food portions could be a little more generous, specially for the appetizers and the arepas.
I would recommend it for those who like colombian food and don't want to get out of the downtown area too much or for a lovely romantic dinner or even a big group of friends dinner.

Visited July 2013

New Orleans
“Wonderfully Perfect Lunch at Mais”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

My wife and I had a perfect lunch experience Saturday at Mais Arepas in Central City. Our server was Kelsey, an attentive, delightful, engaging college student. She lead us on our maiden voyage of "Columbian Creole" food. And what a journey it was!
Our appetizer was Maiz de la Rueda. Wow! My new favorite vegetable dish. It was a delicious corn on the cob topped with spicy butter, aioli and cotija cheese. Perfect. The flavor combinations were wondrous. Do not let them remove the plate after you have finished the corn because everything can be dipped in the blend of butter and cheeses leftover from the corn. Next step was the Arepas. I chose the Mechada and my wife had the Pollo Grilliao. The Mechado was slow cooked skirt steak, sofrito, and mozzarella. There were also ripe plantains on the arepas. Arepas are grilled cornmeal cakes. It made for the perfect sandwich. We loved it. My wife's arepas had grilled chicken, caramelized onions and mozzarella. The mozzarella was rich and creamy. We had a great time at Mais. Kelsey was a true treasure and a wonderful guide through Columbian Creole fare. Loved it!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Very nice South American Food and Flair!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

Tried this little restaurant at the urging of my husband and was pleasantly surprised! Wonderful Ceviche! Try it!! The Arepas were delicious but I had problems keeping mine together beause of the slaw on the sandwiche which caused it to fall apart. I had the Shrimp arepas, the shrimp were delicious, had a grilled flavor. My husband had the pulled pork arepas and it stayed together better, also delicious. Worth a try, great lunch place.

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Saves You Thousands Of Dollars”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

We had the pleasure a couple of years ago to attend the Bogota Jazz Festival. One of the more memorable parts of our trip was a visit to the restaurant Central Cevicheria where they serve over 30 types of Ceviche. The Ceviche at Mais Arepas was as good or better than anything we had in Colombia.

Then came the Arepas which we had never experienced before. Do you ever dream about a meal days afterward? I'll be remembering this meal until we return. You may not be able to see it but my wife and I are giving Mais Arepas a standing ovation. Well done.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Amazing, refreshing exciting taste buds are dancing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Thiss was amazing. Small cozy restaurant. Simple in decoration. Complex in contemporary execution of the plates.Wonderful flavor profiles. Pink sauce is a must have. Will definately return.