“A great anniversary brunch” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #25 of 1,891 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$30 - US$80
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Garden District
Oakland, California
“A great anniversary brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2007

Commander's Palace felt to us like we were a part of New Orleans. A thorough and tasty brunch. It's crowded -- make reservations ahead of time. It's not luxurious, but it's got character. Don't miss this place, if you can avoid it. We enjoyed our first anniversary here.

I should have written this earlier, because now I don't remember exactly what I had -- but I'll post a picture of it just the same!

1 Thank GaryKarr

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York
“No turkey on Thanksgiving!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2007

We were very disappointed in our Thanksgiving meal at Commander's. After we were greeted and seated (first table we were directed to was way too small for 4), the waiter had the unpleasant task of telling us that they had run out of turkey! Needless to say we were disappointed, having looked forward to a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. The other entrees were not particularly appealing and since it was 8pm, near the end of their service, things looked a bit tired (i.e. wilted lettuce, soggy fish). Definitely not a place to go on a major holiday--staff was kind of in a rush to go home.

I did email the management to express our disappointment but never heard back.

1 Thank jess6612
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“great brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2007

great brunch

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
London, United Kingdom
“The ambience is very "Gone with the Wind" - full of Southern charm. The food was good.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2007

Atlanta, Georgia
“Upscale New Orleans dining!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2007

Commander's Palace is arguably the grand dame of New Orleans cuisine. One of the most famous restaurants under the Brennan family (proprietors of some of the best restaurants in the city), Commander's has developed a reputation over the years as a status symbol, a place to see and be seen in, whether for a business meeting, family brunch, or romantic dinner. Therefore, the majority of what you pay goes toward maintaining the status quo.

The restaurant is split into several rooms, including a courtyard patio, replete with fountains. On my latest outing, a had lunch in the patio room. What I like about Commander's is that they offer prix fix lunches and dinners, along with lunch specials, which include appetizer, entree and dessert. For lunch, they offer 25 cent martinis too (which my friends loved!). The food itself is good, not great. As I mentioned above, you pay for the ambience. I had a grilled flounder on top of a bed of beans and lentils. Unfortunately, the fish was bland, and I was hoping for the sauce to stand out, which it didn't. Thankfully, a little Tabasco spiced things up.

Dessert is the best thing at Commander's Palace. The Creole bread pudding souffle is to die for! Light and fluffy, I could seriously eat one every day. The pecan pie a la mode was also tasty, but the bread pudding souffle is NOT TO BE MISSED!

Unfortunately, the service has gotten slack in recent times. In fact, I had to flag down other members of the waitstaff for my Tabasco as well as the bill. For the amount you are paying and the reputation of the restaurant, I expect service to be crisper and more attentive.

Parking is not a problem. The restaurant has complimentary valet. Plus, there is usually enough street parking.

1 Thank worldtraveler786