“Treated like royalty” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #23 of 1,919 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$30 - US$80
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Garden District
Maidstone, Uk
“Treated like royalty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were visiting New Orleans with family, we were wandering round the garden district, dressed informally. It was hot and we wanted a drink. so, looking like a bunch of hayseeds, we entered Commander's Palace. It wasn't my jeans that got in the way, it was my tee shirt: 'Afraid that sir doesn't have a collared shirt on'. But I had one in my back pack!

So, we just wanted a drink, were dressed as informally as you like and were slumming it with high rollers showing up in ball gowns and dinner jackets! But it made no difference, we were treated like the best and looked after perfectly. We sat in the shade of the courtyard (feeling that we could not possibly sit in the restaurant, but not having that suggested to us!), enjoyed our drink, gawped at the other diners we passed, stared at the price list and left. And not once did we feel patronised or dismissed. And that speak a lot about the staff at this place.

1 Thank John V

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Not the best meal I had in NOLA, but really really close”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

It's not difficult to understand why this place is consistently voted the best restaurant in New Orleans. Even though I would put GW Fins above Commander's, it isn't enough of a difference to knock it down a full star.

We came here for lunch on my girlfriend's birthday. Firstly, while we waited for our table to be ready, we noticed a number of people come in - mostly men - who did not come close to approaching the dress code. I don't understand the point of a dress code if it won't be enforced. I know they say jackets are recommended, but optional, but how does a man hear that and then think jeans are acceptable, or anything short of a button down. And walking in wearing a baseball cap (at least they asked for those to be removed) is truly ignorant.

To Commander's Palace's favor, it seemed that such people did not necessarily get sat in the best places. The restaurant is huge, taking up a big old manor style house - like a plantation house - with multiple large dining rooms. The main dining room was nice, but then that had some dining rooms up stairs and in the back that almost seemed reserved for the riff raff. We were treated very well, and got sat upstairs in their garden room. A beautiful, bright room overlooking the trees and flowers outside. We were given a terrific table and treated like honored guests. Everyone who came over wished my girlfriend a happy birthday, and in the end, they gave her a birthday chef's hat, some balloons and a dessert. I know, it sounds a bit child-like, but it was done very well and classy. No loud servers singing.

Servers were on top of the meal the whole time - from the busboy to the drink server and the head server - we never waited for anything for too long. We chose lunch specifically for their $0.25 lunch martini special. They limit you to 3, but 3 is enough. I was debating between a creole cuban sandwich (I LOVE cuban sandwiches, and really wanted to try their take on it), but in the end, I chose the cajun pork tenderloin. It was tough, and I ordered the cuban first, but then sent someone running after the server to change it. I guess I figured its still a cuban sandwich, which I can get anywhere.

Don't know if it was the right call - the cuban sandwich may have been awesome - but the cajun pork tenderloin was heavenly. Spicy, juicy, melt-in-your-mouth good. I also started with the Creole Gumbo - equally good. Not sure if I liked it better than the seafood gumbo at Mr. B's the night before, but so worth ordering.

It's true that you pay a lot here - another reason we chose lunch, because it was more reasonable. And some may feel that no food could be worth these prices, but I disagree. I could eat here every visit - not sure I could afford do, but I'd clean dishes or something if I needed to.

2 Thank tbow77
Agoura Hills, California
“unparalleled experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

This place feels like Disneyland! Very cool experience. All of the waitstaff was above-and-beyond accommodating, and helped make us feel very celebrated on our 5th anniversary.

Although we were hesitant to try the Turtle Soup, our waiter convinced us to try it - he was right. There's a reason that they haven't changed their recipe in over 100 years. The simultaneous service was the cherry on top - felt very elegant. Don't forget the 25 cent martinis at lunch!

Must try the bread pudding souffle. So amazing! I am so glad we got reservations here - very quintessential New Orleans experience!

1 Thank Nicole S
Decatur, Alabama, United States
“Way overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Food was very very average at best. No idea what fuss is about. Sunday brunch was fun but $400 later for 4 people it wasn't that much fun.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Bobbie S
Charleston, South Carolina
“Believe the hype.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

There's nothing more to be said than what's been said. It is everything you would expect out of a restaurant with this reputation. That said, 25 cent martinis for lunch are the way to go!