“Everything and more! Including Peter Frampton”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #26 of 1,980 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$30 - US$80
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Garden District
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My wife and I, along with other couple, went to New Orleans to attend the opening weekend of the music festival and to taste the many great foods the French Quarter has to offer. We wanted to see if everything we have read and heard about this wonderful restaurant were true! And brother, what a dinner experience we had! It's recommend to wear a jack for the men and every man dining in this wonderful grand home, did, including Peter Frampton, who was setting across from our table!!! This great artist was the headliner of the festival on Sunday. We were dining on one of the best meals that New Orleans could offer. Mr. Frampton seemed to be enjoying his meal as much as we were enjoying ours! Each person at our table, had their dinner served at the same time as others at the table. That is class! And what food! It's for you to discover what "All the talk is about!" concerning the Commander's Palace... What delicious food it will be. It's pricy, so don't be shocked about the cost, just ' savior the night!'

1  Thank timothy r

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have read so much about the Commander's Palace food and service over the years so I was expecting a really wonderful experience. The restaurant was not crowded and we were.
seated promptly. Our server Emily was pleasant and explained the day's specials then left us to decide on our selections.
As noted by other reviews, our water glasses were always filled by unobtrusive servers.
Emily returned to take our orders and chatted a few moments and then left. We were seated in the main dining area - a large round table was next to us with 3 people. We began noticing that the sous chef came out and spoke to the diners and then later the chef appeared to speak with them as well.
Our server did stop by our table to see if our meals were good - and yes they were. That was the last we saw of her because she was focusing all her attention on the table next to us. As we left the restaurant we asked another server (Alex) who was seated at this table - he said the man was a childhood friend of the sous chef. Good to know. So, service in our opinion was average all around for us.

Food - good, loved the shrimp and grits, but honestly, I believe that it is overpriced - maybe they are so pricey so that they can comp the table next to us for their meal and 5 desserts - yes, 5.

2  Thank Herongirl24
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Sunday Brunch was an experience not to be missed. There are balloons on the table and everyone was in such a good mood. The wait staff was wonderful. The owner stopped by our table to visit. She could have not been nicer.

My only complaint was too much food. We chose the three course meal even though the waiter told us we could order a la carte. A street car ride, a walk through the Garden District, a visit to Saint Louis Cemetery No. 1 and Sunday brunch at Commander's Palace equals the perfect day.

1  Thank Louise_1980
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I brought my wife down for her first Jazz Fest experience after having been to 3 myself. we saved Commander's Palace for the last day....best for last doesn't begin to describe it!!

First off, it is def a dressy place, but not as rigid as you might think. When we made our reservation they mentioned slacks and a collared shirt are enough. Since there isn't much cause for a sport coat at Jazz Fest this was great to hear since it meant less to pack.

The place is located in the garden district which in and of itself is a beautiful part of town. And the restaurant....I don't think I used the word "amazing" more in a two hour span!! We sat upstairs in what might be described as a "sun room" since it had one entire wall of floor to ceiling windows. And once I got over the beauty of the place the food started coming.

The server mentioned that the menu changes frequently as they use fresh local ingredients though there are a few items that are staples that they carry pretty regularly. We started with a shrimp and hasso appetizer which was a great combo of spicy and sweet, the sauce was so good I kept dipping bread in it long after the shrimp were gone. Then came the famous (and for good reason) turtle soup. I was a little nervous for this one, but one bite set me at ease. It was amazing!!! My wife got the pecan crusted gulf fish and I had the quail with boudin stuffing. Words don't do this justice.

And lastly the reason we went in the first place....the bread pudding souflee! It was featured on "the best thing I ever ate" which is why my wife made us the reservation-again it does not disappoint.

The place is a bit pricey, but while on vacation we splurge anyway. If you're considering it at all, do yourself a favor an DO IT!!!! I walked away not worried about the money spent at all, totally worth it for what may have been the best meal I've ever had

1  Thank BMoreAlive
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were visiting New Orleans with family, we were wandering round the garden district, dressed informally. It was hot and we wanted a drink. so, looking like a bunch of hayseeds, we entered Commander's Palace. It wasn't my jeans that got in the way, it was my tee shirt: 'Afraid that sir doesn't have a collared shirt on'. But I had one in my back pack!

So, we just wanted a drink, were dressed as informally as you like and were slumming it with high rollers showing up in ball gowns and dinner jackets! But it made no difference, we were treated like the best and looked after perfectly. We sat in the shade of the courtyard (feeling that we could not possibly sit in the restaurant, but not having that suggested to us!), enjoyed our drink, gawped at the other diners we passed, stared at the price list and left. And not once did we feel patronised or dismissed. And that speak a lot about the staff at this place.

1  Thank John V