“This is the place to celebrate your birthday.”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #28 of 1,947 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$30 - US$80
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Garden District
Norfolk, Virginia
“This is the place to celebrate your birthday.”
Reviewed 31 March 2010

We took my cousin from California to Sunday brunch at Commander's Palace on her birthday. She was so moved by the attentive staff, the conversation with Ti Martin, co-owner, the music of the jazz trio, and the food that she declared it the best birthday of a lifetime. The food was Commander's usual delicious, perfectly prepared, beautifully presented fare. When I made the reservation, I explained we were reserving for a birthday party. I was assured that Commander's does a lovely and subtle birthday celebration. Thank you, we did want to celebrate without becoming the center of attention in a room full of strangers. We were treated tastefully and graciously. Thank you to all staff and Ti Martin for making it a perfect day.

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
Maryland
“Lunch at Commander's Palace - one of the best experiences in NOLA”
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Being my first trip to New Orleans (solo female traveler, and usually a light eater), a two night, three day trip presented significant challenges to try all the great food in New Orleans. My dining itinerary omitted most of the New Orleans "institutions" but I decided to visit Commander's Palace for lunch (Monday) since I wanted to ride the streetcar and see the garden district. The streetcar was terribly delayed, and I ended up arriving at Commander's Palace 45 minutes late for my reservation (I did call). They graciously accommodated me, and offered me outdoor seating, which was perfect for a beautiful early spring day. The main dining room was a little bit to "old New Orleans style" for my tastes, but I loved the outdoor area and the more casual room that looked into the garden.

Gracious service, very good food, and excellent value followed. I have to admit, as a first time visitor to New Orleans, the "team style" service that seemed popular in restaurants there felt a little off, until I ate at Commander's Palace. The service was excellent - friendly and professional. I had one of their lunch specials (two courses) and a 25 cent martini (cosmopolitan), and spent under $20 before tip. The turtle soup was excellent, as was the gulf fish entree.

If I return to New Orleans, I will definitely plan a daytime trip to the Garden District and lunch at Commander's Palace.

1 Thank Beachdreams2
little rock arkansas
“Reluctantly agree that it's not what it was”
Reviewed 25 March 2010

For generations my family has looked forward to special occasion visits to Commanders. While none of us really needs pampering attention while we have a dinner, it was always interesting to watch the service as almost an art. That's pretty much disappeared. ..and, after a meal of their "Gulf fish", actually a piece of tough Drum fish, and my daughter's overly salted vegetarian dish, we probably won't return.

1 Thank jimjade3
Malton
“Good value lunch menu”
Reviewed 21 March 2010

Recommended by our garden district tour guide. Excellent service and beautiful dining area. Food was good and beautifully presented. Worth a visit and lunchtime special very reasonable. Also enjoyed the 25cent martini!

1 Thank Travelafar_9
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Have traveled to New Orleans and been to Commander's Palace four times over the last ten years. It used to be our "special treat" when we went to New Orleans. All I can say is it is no longer the wonderful experience it used to be. This time around, the food was decent (but not fabulous) and the service was only so-so. They remodeled after Katrina and though the rooms are beautiful, it is less than it used to be. They now make a big deal out of celebrations and put cheap multi-colored balloons tied to the chair of the honoree. This is pretty tacky considering the tasteful silver/gold/white decorated rooms. When we were there, the garden room was a sea of tacky balloons and we could not even see out the window to the garden lit with party lights below. Disappointing.

They do not have the dress code that they used to have. Not that I am a fine dining snob. but I do like people to look presentable at an expensive restaurant such as this. They used to require a suit coat for men - which I did think was a bit excessive. Now there does not appear to be any standards at all - people were in sweat shirts and jeans. Also, it appears that the guests are not as classy as they used to be - we had several tables of people around us who were very loud and quite crude in their conversation. Because tables are now so close together, you can't help but hear every word. Again, I don't think I am a snob, but their standards are not what they used to be.

The service is also not what it used to be. Our wait staff were clearly over-worked. They were running around and hurrying to get from table to table. Love that they serve everyone at the table simultaneously - but when a wait person is running frantically from one end of the room to the other to get to the table in order to help serve everyone, it definitely detracts from the experience of those at adjoining tables. We spent an exorbitant amount of money for the tasting menu and wine pairing. For most of the courses our wine was delivered some time after the food, which clearly negates the benefits of the wine-PAIRING. Also, the wait staff now all look like college students. It used to be very gentile and sophisticated, with elderly and non-obtrusive gentlemen. Now many of the guys look like they are all from the same fraternity. Our "wine guy" - he did not go so far as to say he was actually a sommelier - looked to be about 19 years old and was not able to (or did not have the time) to describe in good detail each of the wines that we received.

All in all, it was still a decent dining experience. However, would not recommend the tasting menu as have had much better in other places. We're thinking that it may now be our location of choice for lunch. Not sure that we will go to the trouble of having dinner there again. The wine pairing obviously could have been much better. I wonder how it would have been on a night that was not so busy - though we were there on a Wednesday, so it's not like it was the height of the weekend. Disappointed as have fond memories of when it was much much much better.

3 Thank MplsTheGoodLife