“They know how to celebrate!”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #28 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$30 - US$80
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Garden District
Reviewed 20 August 2007

After a phone call for a reservation and a request for a chilled bottle of champagne to celebrate my husband's birthday, we arrived at Commander's Palace to a warm welcome, a very attentive staff, and excellent food. The champagne was waiting for us at a beautiful table upstairs in the garden room. The staff was so kind to mention his big day but without the fanfare that normally accompanies such. They sensed our desire to have a quiet, intimate celebration, but they did everything humanly possible to insure it's success. Our food was delicious, the service was excellent, and the evening was relaxed. They get my vote! What a great restaurant!

1  Thank jdblakesle
Write a ReviewReviews (7,845)

Reviewed 21 July 2007

We went to the restaurant because of its reputation as being one of the best overall restaurants in New Orleans. We traveled far from California to experience what we hoped was the best, but instead we received service far below a five-star rating. We were extremely disappointed. I would have to write a short novel to explain the details of our experience, but I think it's best to just state the obvious -- disorganized seating despite our reservation, very loud for fine dining, a wine service faux paus, dirty wine glass (obvious lipstick marks), overcharged our bill by $200, lack of basic service, and a lapse of attentiveness by the waiting staff during the end of our meal. We finally complained to the general manager who was nice enough to comp the drinks. I have to admit the turtle soup was fantastic and the souffle was delicious, but the cost of the meal was not worth the expense due to the service.

1  Thank blueszy
Reviewed 23 June 2007

jazz brunch was fabulous. ask to sit in the second floor garden room that is surrounded by windows in the garden. great service and great food. 7 of us agreed that commander's palace and brennan's tied for first place as the best restaurants in new orleans. this is a la carte, not a buffet and worth the cost.

Reviewed 15 May 2007

I just ate lunch there today. I had the gumbo (delicious!) and the crab and avocado salad - which was also very good. A must is the bread pudding, which was also devine. Commander's is expensive, but worth it - if you want good food. It's a New Orleans classic!

Also, one reviewer complained of roaches - this is New Orleans, there are roaches EVERYWHERE in the summer - especially places where the doors are constantly being opened. Sorry, that's just how it is. (:

Reviewed 13 April 2007

At the recommendation of a local client we celebrated my 41st birthday at Commander's Palace. The place is romantic and beautiful inside and out. We had excellent service throughout the night. I tried two of the special cocktails and was very pleased with them. I did not particularly like the soup sampler. The gumbo and turtle soup were fine ( I did have better gumbo several other places on our trip) but the carrot soup was awful. My husband's steak was great and my shrimp were again fine. Would I go back again? Probably not. While fine, it was quite expensive and there are many excellent restaurants in New Orleans.