“Yes, Yes, Yes! Exactly the NOLA food we were chasing”
Review of Gumbo Shop

Gumbo Shop
Ranked #91 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Description: Established in 1948, The Award Winning Gumbo Shop features a wide range of New Orleans cuisine at its finest. Enjoy fantastic customer service and great food. Patrons are also welcome to order from our full wine list including 30 Wines by the Glass.Gumbo Shop is located at 630 St. Peters Street, 1/2 block from Jackson Square in the French Quarter. As the name implies, gumbo is a fixture on the menu, but our menu also features Creole and Cajun inspired dishes that represent New Orleans' truly unique cuisine. Gumbo Shop was founded in 1948 in a former French Quarter home built in the late 1700's. The building represents a typical French Quarter layout with central courtyard and former kitchen in the rear. For the past 20 consecutive years, Gumbo Shop has received the "Best of New Orleans" best place to eat gumbo from Gambit, a local publication that relies on reader polls to determine the winners in all categories.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I went to NOLA for Gumbo and Jambalaya, and after a few disappointing experiences arrived at the Gumbo Shop. Not only, was our NOLA food experience repaired, we left wanting to come back again and again.

They have great selection, even for people like me who don't eat seafood or beef. It is located in the heart of the French Quarter. And while you wouldn't think so, they are reasonably priced for this quality and location.

Must visit. You'll have a good experience if good food if what you seek.

Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

We're so glad you found us, Anshul! Thanks for making us a part of your trip, and please keep us in mind next time you're in New Orleans!

Cheers,
Gaylin McAllister, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,664)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

It's hard to get a raging as the best of anything these days, but when it comes to gumbo, the gumbo pot owns the blue ribbon as the best in the French Quarter. The flavors are busting in every spoonful of this tasty treat. Ask anyone in the Quarter where to get gumbo and you'll more than like be told to go to the gumbo pot. So, see for yourself...as for me, I'm saying "oh my!"

Thanks for your kind words! However, we feel that you are actually referring to another restaurant. That said, we'd love for you to join us for dinner sometime and give our dishes a try! :)

Regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Not only do they offer the best gumbo i've had in New Orleans, they also made the best daquiri's i've found. Most daquiri's are too sweet, but I had the lemon daquiri here and it was amazing. I had to force myself to stop at 2, otherwise I couldn't have finished the perfect bowl of gumbo. I had gumbo many times before, but never like this. I had the chicken/sausage gumbo and it was truely the best I've found in New Orleans. It was flavorful, with just enough kick to it. We also tried the bread pudding for desert. You can't leave the city without trying this desert. You won't be disappointed!

Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Our daiquiris are hard to beat! That lemon and gumbo combination is a great one, so I'm glad we were able to give you such a yummy taste of New Orleans. Until next time, thanks for the fantastic review, James!

Best,

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Gumbo Shop had been referred to me by someone.
They were very nice and professional.
They had the best French bread I have ate in my life!
I tried the chicken gumbo (first time ever) and it was wonderful!
We went back a second time and I tried the red beans and rice ( first time ever) and it was amazing!
I will go back for sure!
It's a must in New Orleans!!!

Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Yup, that French bread is pretty addictive! Thanks for stopping by, Cassandra. We can't wait to have you back for more gumbo next time you're in town!

Regards,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Gumbo Shop was recommended to us by our walking tour guide, a native of New Orleans who said that it is consistently ranked highly by the locals and is his family's go-to spot when they need a big batch of Gumbo. We definitely weren't disappointed. It's housed in a beautiful old building (like so many in NOLA), which had a great atmosphere. Our waiter was friendly, attentive, and very knowledgable. My husband and I each ordered a cup of the Chicken-Andouille Sausage Gumbo and were SO SAD that we didn't order an entire bowl of it. Rich broth, perfectly cooked meat and rice, tender chunks of veggies, it was just perfect. We followed up with roast beef "po boy" sandwiches covered in Gravy and couldn't manage to finish them (although we really, really, wanted to). All in all, it was a great meal that didn't break the bank and gave us the chance to experience some authentic New Orleans flavor. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

No worries -- you can order 2 bowls each next time! :) Thanks for joining us for a bite, and please keep us in mind next time you're in town. We'd love to have you back!

Cheers,