“Don't Let the Long Line Outside Fool You”

Mother's Restaurant
Ranked #314 of 2,124 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: Authentic N'Awlins home-style cooking since 1938. The Amato family welcomes you for a taste of tradition.Home of award-winning Jambalaya, the famous Ferdi Special, and the original debris-laden roast beef.Private room for parties, rehearsal dinners and special events.
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My first and last time at Mother's. We were fanning flies and gnats at our table. I will eat at a hole in the wall if the food is good. Red beans and rice were good. Shrimp were fried hot and so were fries. My friends got sick when we reached the hotel. They had the greens, and roast beef po-boy. I think they let the food sit out too long. Fried chicken wait time is 25 to 30 minutes. The line inside is not as long as the line outside. Tables empty everywhere when we got in. Not worth the wait. Fried fish not seasoned at all. Don't stand in line for this. You have been warned!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (7,559)

Reviewed 28 July 2013

First visit in, wish I had been before. One of my new favorites. The sandwich was big, full of flavor and delicious. I even packed half to fly home for dinner. It was still awesome 6 hours later!!

1  Thank Amy R
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Had a line to get in. When we got in there's still a line to order. Then you find a seat when you have ordered. Food was good. Ordered usual breakfast food and it did not disappoint. The Bloody Mary was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! You will not ask for a double shot with this! OMG! I can't say enough good things about it. Asked to taste their "beef gravy" they gave me a cup for free. Gravy had beef in it and tasted like pot roast. Yummy! I would definitely go back there!

1  Thank Vaneelee
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Forget about southern hospitality here. Rude staff and food was just average. Went through line ordered 4 meals; 2 Ferdies, jumbalya and Shrimp poboy only to find out that only 2 orders were entered not 4. I had to go through line again. I didn't even get an apolology for error. Food was fine, I guess you can even say good. I have had good sandwiches in many cities just like the Ferdie, jumbalya and shrimp poboy was nothing special. We all wanted to try the bread pudding that was talked about on line. Had to get back in line, wait for over 10 minutes for pudding that was sitting in a tin already made but they forgot about us. Again, it was just OK but really not special. Dont make a special trip for this place. You can find this food anywhere in New Orleans and surrounding areas without the hastle, attitudes and wait.

1  Thank Rjvalli
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Eggs, Biscuits, Grits, Tobasco, Sausage. Unbelievably good. Great reasonable prices. What else do you need. Go to NOLA just to eat here.