“A favorite stop!”

Bud's Broiler
Ranked #793 of 1,998 Restaurants in New Orleans
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Mid-City
Description: Closed due to damage suffered in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I wanted to stop here for years and finally got the chance this last trip. Well worth it! The burgers are flame broiled with a pile of grated cheddar cheese. On one visit I had excellent fries, the next delicious onion rings! The price was very reasonable. The ambiance reminds me of a small hometown specialized diner from the 40's. This will be a regular spot for me when I return!

Reviewed 25 December 2013

A lifelong native of New Orleans was giving me the grand tour of New Orleans and many of the city's attractions including City Park and some of the more interesting cemeteries. As we passed this Buds Broiler, he mentioned I should check them out if I had time. The next day I stopped in for lunch and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food.

Their menu consists of various burgers, hot dogs, fries and other fast foods, along with handmade shakes. Their menu has numbered selections and I chose the No. 4 Meat hamburger with grated cheddar cheese and your choice of chili (excellent), or their own Hickory Smoke Sauce. I got the burger with the chili (and they offered to add onions which I gladly accepted), and I also tried their No. 11 Smoked Sausage this is a natural-cased spicy sausage sliced open and grilled, served with their Hickory Smoke Sauce, lettuce, tomato, pickles and mayo. Very tasty and the Hickory Smoke Sauce is a lightly sweet, smoky barbecue sauce with a bit more tomato flavor than most. Absolutely delicious and it is proprietary made by Buds Broilers at their main kitchen facility.

The servers and cooks were very nice and even gave me a free refill on my soft drink. They had four tables inside and four or five tables available outside the small restaurant. The restrooms were the size of phone booths but they did have one available. However, the bathrooms are immediately adjacent to the dining area, so be forewarned you don't have a whole lot of acoustic privacy.

The total bill for the burger, sausage sandwich and large drink came to almost $10 with tax, but it was wonderful. A family nearby was enjoying one of their milkshakes and said they really were delicious but I can't personally attest to that.

If you want to enjoy some of the local flavor of New Orleans that is non-Cajun, a place where you will run into locals that enjoy really hot, fresh hamburgers and chili cheese fries and other fresh made sandwiches, this is the place to visit.

1  Thank Bryan L
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

TRULY A LIFE SAVER... MASTER OF THE BROILER!!! AND MUCH NEEDED AFTER A LONG EVENING :) Awesome customer service in all nine years of my late night visits I have never had a problem. Everything is always PERFECT!!!

1  Thank ShenellSB
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Bud's Broiler is a local favorite. It's a hole in the wall type of place, but the burgers, cheese fries, and milk shakes are delicious. If you're staying in the French Quarter I wouldn't necessarily recommend venturing out just to eat at Bud's, but if you find yourself in the area and want tasty, cheap eats then Bud's is a great choice.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

Only locals who don't know any better eat here. It's hot, filthy, crowded. The buns are undersized and tasteless like you get from the dollar store and the cheese is from a pack of generic individually wrapped cheese substitute. You know the kind. The shrimp on my sandwich and the onion rings on my tray (there are no plates not even paper ones) were the frozen pre-breaded kind. This is not my opinion. This is a list of facts. But please, don't go see for yourself.