“Good Food, Bad Service”

Cafe Freret
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The food at Cafe Freret is delicious! I would definitely call it "diner-syle", with lots of flavor, at the expense of lots of fat. The Cafe Freret burger is my go-to and it never fails me with a side of sweet potato fries. But the service is SO BAD. Expect your drink to never be re-filled, and your food to take at least 30 minutes no matter what you order.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Excellent service. Excellent food. Excellent 'spiked watermelon' drink! Gorgeous staff and executive chef...chatty and lovely. Surroundings cannot be surpassed and neither can the steak! I will miss this place BIG time...can't wait to return.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I tried to like this place, I really did. My place in New Orleans was literally a two block's walk from Café Freret, which would make Café Freret an easy way to get a quick meal. Or so I thought. The first time I ordered here, I chose a Cuban sandwich and a side of fries. After waiting about 45 minutes, I was told that they would still need more time; apparently, some of the kitchen equipment was malfunctioning. At around the same time, a woman and her daughter, who had been waiting for longer than I, had enough and left the restaurant, demanding their money back in the process. After waiting another 30 minutes (I know, a long time to wait, but I had already put in so much time and desired to see my wait pay off), they told me to give them my number and they would call me when my food was finally ready.

On that note, I went home and waited for an hour. Still no call, so I decided to walk back to the establishment and check in on things. Finally, after about another 20 minutes of waiting, my food was served. The Cuban sandwich and fries were decent, but nothing spectacular. That said, the long wait was unacceptable and is the main reason for my poor review. You would think that after waiting that long for service, a food establishment would give you the meal on the house. Sadly, they only gave me a free juice. Better than nothing, I guess.

While I had a terrible time my first visit to Café Freret, I told myself that they were having an off day and would try them again. I stopped in one day on my way home for a bottled orange juice (no food this time). The drink looked fine in the bottle, but when I got home and opened the bottle, I realized that the drink was expired by a few months. Disgusted, I trashed the drink and vowed never to return again. Now many people have had much better experiences at Café Freret than I did, but twice is two times too many for bad experiences at a restaurant.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We went there for Father's day brunch as we were at walking distance and that we heard quite good things from that honest little place.

We had crab benedicts and sausage benedicts with hashbrown and grits, and wow. We were really satisfied and happy with our meals... This not even mentionning the warm and welcoming service we received!

Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is within walking distance to St. Charles Streetcar, about 4 or 5 blocks. You could sit outside in the giant covered area with fans. We decided to sit inside. Great food, huge chicken fingers and awesome club sandwich. Fast service with seating and food. The server always had our drinks filled, without asking him to. Thats a major plus for me! The owner and cook was very nice and friendly. We would come back for sure!!