“$$ Didn't like the Muffalette. Huge serving of meats and cheese, but lacked a good olive salad.”
Review of Mama Rosa's - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor Member
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 June 2005

This used to be a wonderful, down-home, hole-in-the-wall, Italian restaurant on the edge of the French Quarter, but no more. It was so good at one time that my wife and I had our wedding rehearsal dinner there, but that was 14 years ago. Jump to present day (5/31/05): We enter an almost pitch-black dining room that reeked of cleaning products with only one table seated with 2 people. It was almost as if they turned off the overhead fluorescent lights to save on electricity. The one or two wall sconces that were on did not do the trick; they didn’t even give the place atmosphere. Mama Rosa’s has always been “seat yourself”, so we did, under the one overhead fluorescent that was on so we could see our menus & food. The female cook, who has been there forever, was at the empty bar (no bartender, either) playing a video game. Our waiter did quickly come over to us, give us our menus, and took our drink order. We ordered our food as soon as he came back with the drinks. I decided to try the lasagna; my wife ordered the stuffed shells as she always does. Both entrees come with a house salad, no extra charge, but we always opt to upgrade to their wonderful “Italian Salad” for around $1.25 - $1.50 extra charge each. The waiter looked dumbfounded when we informed him we wanted the Italian salad instead of the house salad. He said there would be an extra charge, but wasn’t sure how much, and we both said that was fine. He had to “disturb” the cook at the bar and let her know she had an order to cook. After that, he brings us our Italian salads. Problem: no salad dressing. We call over to the waiter and inform him we need salad dressing. He screams out to us that he only has blue cheese and ranch, NOT the creamy Italian dressing that usually comes with the Italian salad and compliments it perfectly. So, we opt for the ranch. As we are eating our salads, our waiter gets on a bicycle inside the restaurant by the front door, with a to-go order, and proceeds out the front door, never mind I have almost no tea left in my glass and no one to serve me more since he was the only waiter there! A few minutes later a girl brings my wife her boiling hot “boat” dish of stuffed shells, as if they sat under a heat lamp too long. Then the girl goes back to the kitchen and retrieves my boiling hot “boat” dish of lasagna. It looked more like ground beef swimming in gravy. We proceeded to eat our meal in disgust, after letting the boiling masses cool down for a few minutes. The food was mediocre, at best. I am now out of tea and still no waiter. My wife calls the girl over to get a to-go box for the liquidy, shell-like substance she has left on her plate. She brings us a box and as she does, our waiter returns through the front door from his to-go delivery run. We motion to get our check as he is standing at the counter tending to some unhappy customers who placed orders by phone and who walked off the street to place to-go orders. We motion again 2 or 3 more times to get the check and he finally brings it over. We decide we want to pay cash instead of using our checking/debit card like we usually do because we were not going to leave the 15% tip that we usually do. We are a little short so I go and use the ATM by the bar. I was charged an outrageous $3.25 for retrieving $20.00 of my own money! I’m used to paying anywhere from $1.00 to $2.00 for using an out-of-network ATM, but $3.25 is ridiculous, not to mention my bank is going to add another $1.00-$1.25 on top of that! My wife gets the $36.00 check and puts down $41.00. I told her to take a couple of those dollars back and that the waiter was lucky he was getting anything. So, we left $39.00 on the table and left Mama Rosa’s in total disgust, vowing never to return to the restaurant we once loved so much because it no longer existed. Now, when we get home, I find out (adding insult to injury) that we were charged $3.95, EACH, for the Italian salads that we upgraded to from our included house salads! I told my wife that if I had known that, the waiter would not have gotten a single penny for a tip.
It’s really, really sad to see a once great cornerstone of New Orleans food establishments get flushed down the toilet so quickly. I don’t know if Mama Rosa’s changed owners (the way things are now I hope they did because it would be a disgrace otherwise), but we ate there about 3 months ago and it was still the old wonderful place we used to love then as compared to THE DUMP IT IS NOW.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 January 2005

Pizza was not close to being good, but maybe it's because I'm a Yankee and I have high standards when it comes to pizza. Still, I would not be interested in going back. Perhaps pasta dishes are better?

1  Thank y2flu