“Oldie but Goody”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
San Diego, California
“Oldie but Goody”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Older building in a well worn part of town. The food and service more than makes up for the location, You really have to want to have a good meal and service to find this old school eatery. The diners are mostly repeat customers and well known to the staff. We had lunch there on our way out of town. The store was almost empty when we got there but filled fast at noon. The food and service were wonderful, We had the seafood platter The gumbo was as good as I have had and the seafood was fresh and well prepared oh yes plentiful. I am a fan of George Rodrigue painter of Blue Dog art and noticed several of his paintings in the restaurant. The waitress informed me that the painter lives close by and dines frequently. He has presented several paintings to the owner and the owner has purchased several others. I didn't ask but surmised that the waitress had been at the restaurant for a loooong time. We will be back.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Gwinginit

San Diego, California
“A great place for lunch”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Had a business lunch there a few days ago. The food is excellent and the portion sizes are huge. The wait staff were jovial and helpful. I recommend their gumbo and any seafood dish... well seasoned and tasty. Give this place a try when you are in Ninth Ward area.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank EnjoysTravelling_007
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I returned to Jack Dempsey's where I have not been in over 10 years (pre-Katrina). I arrived about 2pm where the place was just about empty. It was warm as if the A/C wasn't working? The services was adequate and the food was prompt. Gumbo was above average and the fried food was superb. Plenty of leftovers. Slightly pricy and the neighborhood is sketchy. Overall, it was an above average experience and I would say that it looked, felt, and tasted exactly the same as when I dined over 10 years ago.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank KeMiMa
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
“Macaroni & Cheese a taste delight!!!”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I went for the seafood, don't get me wrong the seafood is/was awesome, and plentiful because we shared the platter. But an undiscovered gem is the macaroni & cheese, that was the surprise
gem. The service was Excellent, It's on the fringe of the quarter p, please don't pass the gem up!!!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Locure
Pomona, California
“Catfish was awesome”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

First place we ate at, (not the boxers restaurant) and a little out of the way and supposedly in a suspect area(we took a cab). We had no problem and resembled a lower middle class neighborhood. Looked to be a locals spot and everything was deep fried. They must cook at extreme heat because all the food lacks residue grease, such as fast food places that leave grease soaked bags and what not. Shrimp, crawfish pie, fish, oysters, it was all very tasty and filling. Order the seafood platter for one, there's enough for 2 and a to go box for 2 more. I ordered a straight shot of rum, which was watered down. This seems to be the only drawback of the place, the waitress said it was straight, and I'm not an expert, but I have had enough experience with rum to know the diff. Didn't argue but I won't order rum or any other drink there again.

Visited May 2013