“A nice (cheap) lunch special to be had…”
Review of Johnny's Po-Boys

Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
New York City, New York
“A nice (cheap) lunch special to be had…”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Floating around the French Quarter on a most beautiful day, I went searching for a Po-Boy.

With so many options to choose from, I went to my own personal “tourist information center”, I stopped in at "Johnny Whites" on Bourbon and asked “Big Liz” and the assorted locals the best place to go.

After much deliberation on cost and quality, the winner was…Johnny’s Po-Boys!

Some things to note:
-the place is TINY and the lines and crowds can be a bit daunting-but worth the wait.

-I’ve read some comments on filth and rats…didn’t find it that way at all.

-go for the lunch special (I’m sure it’ll change up by the time you go, but…), I had half a shrimp Po-Boy and a cup of jambalaya for about $12.00 give or take…this one meal was broken into two it was so large and tasty.

Hint: order out and walk a block and sit on one of the benches overlooking the Mississippi…can’t beat it.

Highly recommended!

South Florida
“First time to Johnny's”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I grew up in New Orleans and worked in the French Quarter and never had heard of Johnny's till looking through Trip Advisor for some good Po Boy shops. Been there since the 50's.

New Orleans has tons of great restaurants with excellent Po Boys, so I don't think you could honestly say one is better than another.

That said we had a good experience, although a bit of a wait in a crowded store front to get our Poboys. We shared an Oyster with cup of seafood gumbo and an ice cold beer. Can't beat that combination.

The sandwhich was made on the traditional loaf of Lindhiemer French bread, a must to call a sandwhich a PoBoy! It was stuffed with plenty of Oysters although they were small. Side of fries.

The kids loved their Genoa Salami Poboy as well.

If you're in the Quarter and the line aint too long, well worth it, but there are plenty of other excellent options to try as well. Definitely a tourist spot now and a bit pricey.

Pawtucket, Rhode Island
“Small, local, delicious.”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Johnny's is a small local place with delicious po-boys that go great with cold-beer. It is an order at the counter and have a seat type of place. The muffalettas are huge. I recommend sharing.

Houston, Texas
“We know seafood and this is the place! But, it is casual.”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Johnny's has been around for decades and they serve exceptional poorboys. Some may be turned off due to having styrofoam plates rather than china, but if you want quality, here it is. In the past I have always gotten the poorboy, but this time I opted for the fried oyster plate. I asked the counter girl how many oysters and she replied they don't count them, you just get a "heap". I was doubtful, but when I got my food, there was indeed a heap: 24 oysters, small to mid sized. I was so full, but so happy!
TIP: there will be a line at lunch.
TIP: They close at 4:30p, don't come here for dinner.
TIP: bring cash, they don't accept charge cards.
TIP: my wife got the poor boy & it was hugh, TWO 5" or 6" sandwiches, lots of food and filled up.

Enjoy a tradition!

1 Thank MaltaBound
“Lower your expectations”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Everyone says this is the best po boy there is. Therefore, lower your expectation of what a po boy is. Overfried seafood, no sauce, on tasteless bread.