“Excellent NOLA Restaurant”
Review of Mr. B's Bistro

Mr. B's Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Mr. B's Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$23 - US$50
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Description: Mr. B's Bistro, (since 1979) owned by Cindy Brennan of the famous Brennan Restaurant Family, is located in the heart of the French Quarter. Signature dishes include Mr. B's famous Barbequed Shrimp, Gumbo Ya Ya, and Bread Pudding with Irish Whiskey Sauce. $1.50 martinis and bloody marys each weekday during lunch.
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We arrived in New Orleans a little late and asked our Bell Hop what restaurants were close by our hotel. He recommended Mr.B's and what a delightful opening to our New Orleans trip. Great food, great service, with an extensive wine list. We spent the next five days eating our way through this super foodie city. Mr.B's was right up there with the great places we visited.

1  Thank vkcampi
Write a ReviewReviews (4,640)

Reviewed 16 August 2012

My husband and I went to the Sunday Jazz Brunch while in town celebrating our anniversary. We were (admittedly) a bit underdressed and were seated in a back dining area with other underdressed tourist pariahs.
The musicians at the brunch were all very talented, but the group was comprised of an elderly blind african american man on banjo and two elderly caucasian men on upright bass and clarinet. I can't put my fnger on it, but there was something about their act that had a slight "Song of the South" aura to it. However, it was enjoyable and they played a selection of jazz standards very skillfully.
Service was a little slow and the food was OK, but not exceptional; I had one of the stuffed omlettes and my husband had the barbeque shrimp. His shrimp was very good, but my meal was ordinary. We shared a creamy rum drink/dessert (rum cream, or something) and it was quite good.
The restaurant decor was also rather outdated; it had that dark paneled wood "fern bar" look.
Overall, it was an acceptable diversion and convenient to our hotel, but I wouldn't go out of the way for it.

1  Thank PlantDiva
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Decided to try Mr. Bs while in New Orleans. Was definately a good choice. Made reservations but didnt really need to. We were seated early and right away. The service was excellent. My glass was never empty. Food came out hot and relatively quick. Filet mignon was cooked perfectly. Bread pudding for dessert! Good choice. Highly recommend. Total bill for 1 appetizer, 2 filets and dessert..$109..We didnt order and drinks, just h2o..Would go back in a heartbeat.

2  Thank Brian H
Reviewed 12 August 2012

More like 4.5 gags. Their sorry excuse for shrimp and grits was a lump of grits and some crazy disgusting red BBQ type sauce. Not enough to even wet the grits. And at $27 a plate, I basically had to force feed it down my throat as if it were a mixture of rotting anchovies and cockroach exoskeletons. Seriously. Way, WAY over priced and quality food of a D grade restaurant. Do not eat here.

2  Thank Pcrew9987900
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed across the street and ran over for dinner. Service was horrid! Not even busy and NEVER came back to refill our drinks! The waiters hung out by the bar chatting instead. Would not recommend for the service. Good food bit poor service.