“Visit to NOLA”

Cuisines: African
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

As we walked through french quarter, we decided to try something new and African Restaurant just fit for purpose. The food was ok with very reasonable price if you take the lunch special. They have an authentic chef and the restroom is clean. The reason why they only got average from me, cause maybe I just not "cheap" with my score. I tried the shrimp over rice, you might want to ask the hot sauce to add some kick to it

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

So my wife and I had an inexpensive and nice lunch at Bennachin. The food and the decor are African and I was pleased that the music playing was also African.
We tried a chicken dish with rice and a dish of vegetables with ginger served over cous cous. Both entrées were spicy as we had requested. The wait-staff was pleasant and informative. There is no wine or beer on the menu, but I was directed to a neighbourhood market next door to purchase wine.
We were pleased with this simple and inexpensive meal. The restrooms could use some attention, however.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Don't know what to say really. 4 of us decided to eat here one night and what a mistake it was. The only table big enough to cater for 4 was taken up by some kind of "party".....we were then told to "wait outside" in the rain lol....then other people turned up and were told the same?......in the end I went in and asked them to either hurry up or we'd be going. The table suddenly appeared then. Now, with all that said, if the food had been ok, I wouldn't have mentioned the dreadful way we were all treated before the meal........BUT.......

The food

Slop on a plate would be a fair description....I have pictures I will upload later but for now, trust me, stay well away. Inedible slop piled high on the plates. It was that bad, I wanted to walk out without paying. But we had business guests with us so of course I just paid and left. However, I did ask my wife to use the credit card and not pay cash so I could do a charge back later.....

I don't get it? there are some positive reviews on here?...what happened? It really was the most dreadful pig swill Iv ever had to endure? It was just a mess..........a complete mess...and tasted as it looked....and why so much? where they trying to make up in quantity what is lacked in quality....

All in all, the worse meal I have eaten in the last 12 months, and by far the worst dinning experience in the whole of New Orleans.......

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I discovered this place through JazzFest, where they were serving their luscious poulet fricasee -- chicken on a stick -- with fried plantains and stewed greens, etc. Craving more, I found the actual restaurant a few years ago, and even thought they were out of my beloved fricasee on my last visit, it forced me to try something different, and it was also fabulous.

Veggie lovers or people looking for something other than the standard gumbo/jambalaya/etouffee fare in the French Quarter should be pleased, and you get a pile of food suitable to share if you are a light eater. The spinach and broccoli are delicious and expertly cooked, and the black-eye-d pea fritters are like puffy clouds of deep-fried heaven served with the best non-salsa red sauce I've ever had.

Also, thanks for providing clean, spacious bathrooms! :-)

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

The food is amazing. The menu not too big, not too limited. Amazing service. This place is full on New Orleans - the bathroom is out the back , through the kitchen. This is the place to go on the "take it easy night" if you are having a few nights in NOLA. We asked for spicy everything and it was perfect. Not too crazy hot. Not too tourist cool.