“Great Jazz Fest food”

Neighbourhood: French Quarter
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great Jazz Fest food”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

If the food at the restaurant is half as good as the food at Jazz Fest, I could set up my cot under a table there!!!! The sauteed spinach was seasoned just right and the fried plantains were to die for!!!! Great people and great food......what more could you ask for!!!!????

Visited May 2014

San Diego
“The place for vegitarians and meat eaters”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My wife is a vegetarian so we always look for restaurants that serve vegetarian dishes. In NOLA this was a challenge. We each got a vegetarian meal, they also have meat dishes. We had sautéed spinach and a black eye pea stew. Both dishes were served with coconut rice and fried plantains. We both ordered medium spice, which was just about perfect. Top it off with the iced freshly made, ginger ice tea.

Visited April 2014
Martinez, California
“Different and interesting”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I'm not sure if Bennachin is relatively new or if my wife and I just never noticed it before, although we've been to New Orleans several times. In any case, we are happy to have discovered it! The taste is truly unique, intriguing and delicious, exactly as we expected from the complex and rich aromas that greeted us when we came in. I had a spicy lamb dish with ginger and my wife had a spicy chicken dish with very complex flavors. Our friends, who are a little less adventurous in their tastes, ordered their dishes mild and found them very pleasing. The service was warm and friendly, and the atmosphere casual and inviting, with art and wall hangings from the regions of Africa the restaurant serves food from. This will definitely be on our list of places to always visit any time we are in NOLA.
As to the reviewer who described the food as "inedible slop" and "dreadful pig swill"- I can only conclude that he is someone who should not challenge his palate with anything more exotic than Taco Bell or Panda Express. I would urge anyone seeking to experience new and delicious cuisine to not be put off by that one review.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Steven C
“Visit to NOLA”
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

As we walked through french quarter, we decided to try something new and African Restaurant just fit for purpose. The food was ok with very reasonable price if you take the lunch special. They have an authentic chef and the restroom is clean. The reason why they only got average from me, cause maybe I just not "cheap" with my score. I tried the shrimp over rice, you might want to ask the hot sauce to add some kick to it

“Good food, unusual ambiance. ”
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

So my wife and I had an inexpensive and nice lunch at Bennachin. The food and the decor are African and I was pleased that the music playing was also African.
We tried a chicken dish with rice and a dish of vegetables with ginger served over cous cous. Both entrées were spicy as we had requested. The wait-staff was pleasant and informative. There is no wine or beer on the menu, but I was directed to a neighbourhood market next door to purchase wine.
We were pleased with this simple and inexpensive meal. The restrooms could use some attention, however.