“The definition of a local gem! So great we returned on NYE!”
Review of Upstairs at Mimi's

Upstairs at Mimi's
Ranked #669 of 1,947 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
St. Petersburg, Florida
“The definition of a local gem! So great we returned on NYE!”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

What a find! The menu was so interesting, including the mystery plate that was whatever the chef decided to make. Drinks were awesome, it was an intimate cozy area upstairs from the bar. This may be the best tapas I have had. There was music, dance floor and a great local crowd. Don't miss the lamb chops- definitely the best I have had. And if you aren't in this neighborhood, even a better reason to visit! Get out of the tourist traps and head on over!

• Visited December 2013

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great quiet place in funky Marigny”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Most tourists don't know about this place since it is not an easy walk from the French Quarter, but it's worth a visit. It has a funky, relaxed atmosphere and the tapas is great. They even have escargots! My friend and I ate downstairs int eh bar, and you have to go up to the bar to get a menu and place your order. Interestingly, they have an item on the menu called trust me. You don't know what you'er going to get until it's served. My friend told the server he is vegan and they gave him something completely different than the standard item for the night to accommodate him. My only complaint was the gross bathrooms. The ladies room was out of order downstairs, so the men's room with one toilet became unisex, and there was one toilet upstairs.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank baltojo
utah
“Terrible experience”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I've been visiting Mimi's for a couple of years now, and have had similar experiences before, though not to this extent. There is a surly bartender downstairs, that can make or break your experience. While getting waited on here can be a lengthly process, the rudeness is something I can't understand. While visiting with friends between shows, we stopped in for a quick bite (the food is pretty good!) The bar tender (red hair, no smile, easy to spot) Is rude, was yelling at customers, and screaming about it for an hour later. I guess she had refused to serve someone, and just couldn't let it go. I was so embarrassed that I had brought along a group of friends.
Never again.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank karawebster
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Amazing food and atmosphere in the Marigny”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Despite all the amazing things I have been hearing about the Faubourg Marigny, I would never have expected this fun and funky neighborhood bar to have world-class food. The bar downstairs is awesome. But then a local clued me in ... you can climb a short staircase to food heaven! The menu is essentially Spanish tapas, and it is sooooooo good. Amazingly reasonable prices, and the food was extremely fresh and flavorful. My friend and I had 2 drinks each, and shared 3 generous sized tapas dishes (it was dinner for us) and it set us back less than $50, with tip. We shared an arugula salad with some sort of artichoke confit, and potatoes brava (I'm massacring the names), and crostini with truffle oil and marinated red peppers. It was sooooooo good. And - they have dance lessons on Monday nights, how fun is that? If you are visiting New Orleans, don't miss this neighborhood gem.

Visited June 2013
North Bellmore, New York
“Decent food, decent music”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Decent tapas, good wine recommendations, good live music. Make sure to stay upstairs if you want a smoke-free environment. Glad we found Mimi's in the Marigny (it was recommended by a server at a different restaurant as a place where locals go, which is always what we want).

• Visited March 2013