Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter
Ranked #43 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Nashville, Tennessee
“great all around”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

amazing building love how they took a bunch of historic buildings and put them all together and made this hotel great staff clean and comfy rooms great location

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Lisa-S-Camp, Sales Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
I love the French Quarter charm the architects preserved in the property. My favorite is that when you go sit out in the courtyard, you barely feel like you are downtown, even though everything is just steps outside the front door. We hope you get to come visit again soon! Thanks for taking the time to share!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Seattle
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We stayed at the Country Inn based mostly on reviews here at Trip Advisor. I don't have a lot to add to the reviews already posted, but want to reiterate that this is a great alternative for those who don't want to stay right in the heart of the insanity (French Quarter). We found this hotel to be easy walking access to everything we wanted - the St. Charles Streetcar, Decatur Street (which leads to the French Market and Cafe du Monde), Harrah's casino, and yes, even the French Quarter.
Room was just fine, we did hear our neighbors one night (but hey, it was Halloween weekend, and we expected some noise), but for the most part were not bothered by either hotel noise or the noise from Magazine Street. I was less impressed with the breakfast than many of the other reviewers here, however. The "hot breakfast" choices were just not to my taste (rubbery old "fried eggs", turkey bacon, French toast that had been sitting for awhile, etc), Coffee was only okay, but I'm from Seattle so I guess I'm too picky on that.
The front desk staff - especially Tammy - was great, the concierge was great. Cleaning staff - well, let me just put it this way: our second day there, we were out all day, got home at 3:30 in the afternoon and the room hadn't been cleaned. We let it go. But the next day, we went out, didn't return until almost 4 pm, and the room hadn't been cleaned. To be fair, when we mentioned it, they did clean it right away. But it was a tad annoying to have to go downstairs and wait 20 minutes, which cut into our all important nap time!
But really, these were minor inconveniences, and I was quite pleased with this hotel, all in all. We'll be back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VisitorTraveller
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This hotel is an amazing building created out of 7 historic buildings. It's location was convenient to the French Quarter, the Central Business District, Riverwalk, etc. We were able to walk most everywhere at all times - day and night. The staff were very sociable, professional and helpful. The complimentary breakfast buffet was more than adequate. The valet parking was away from the hotel so we had to have the car brought around whenever we forgot something in the car.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Trinidad
Reviewed 9 November 2011

This hotel is in an excellent location. Walking distance to all major spots and attractions but away from the noise and filthy streets of the French Quarter.Also if you have any mobility problems you do not want to stay in the French Quarter. The sidewalks are challenging for even the most able.
Good value for money. We had a 3rd floor room to the back of the hotel. Didn't mind not having a view of Magazine Street as there was not much to see on Magazine Street. .
The room was very spacious and had 2 full sized beds with enough room to move. I was surprised as from the other reviews I read before I booked I thought the rooms were going to be European size. It was not a suite but yet spacious. The bathroom was impeccably clean. My husband laughs at me because I usually judge a hotel by the bathroom and the staff. Lots of counter space in the bathroom. Love that as well. The towels were a little on the thin and rough side though.
The staff, especially the front desk and restaurant, were genuinely warm and interested. They were the most helpful hotel staff I have ever encountered. Even the Concierge went out of her way to explain the process for the tax free shopping and she did not try to sell us any tours.
Breakfast was decent. I am not big on breakfast so the toast and coffee were perfect before heading out for the day. I have been to lots of other hotels with a similar free buffet breakfast. This one stood out because the staff was always pleasant and willing to help and the buffet areas was kept clean even with the steady flow of guests.
While we did not experience any noise from the other rooms and we were far away from the high traffic areas within the hotel our room was opposite a housekeeping room and one night there was such a racket in there. I don't know if there was a fight with the brooms or dishes or what. It went on for a few minutes and disturbed our sleep. The next morning we were rushing to meet our tour and when we returned we forgot to mention that issue to the front desk. Another morning it was the garbage truck. Really? And then another morning it was guests returning from what sounded like a wild night of partying. From other reviews it appears that noise in some form is an issue in most of the hotels in New Orleans.
If you are using a taxi from the hotel to go to the airport verify the price and whether you would have to share. When our taxi arrived we were surprised to see another guest boarding with us and I don't think we paid any less in price compared to if we were not sharing.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in New Orleans (Magazine Street) on November 1 and 2, 2011. This is truly a nice option in New Orleans. Sometimes there are events planned and some of the bigger hotels are very expensive during that time. This was the case during our stay. The Country Inn and Suites are across Canal Street from the French Quarter and within very easy walking distance of the sights there. It was a third of the price of some of the hotels just across Canal. They upgraded my husband and me to a King suite, which had two rooms (separate bedroom and living room), nice sized bath, microwave and mini-fridge, two TVs, etc. It is in an old New Orleans building and they have left the wonderful architectural features of the building in place. It is very clean, comfortable and nice. I will stay there again. And...the desk staff and service are very, very good. The breakfast is included and is just fine. it includes scrambled eggs and bacon...not just the usual cold foods.

Room Tip: When you book on line, they may ask if you'd like to get in line for an upgrade for a small addi...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The hotel was reasonably priced and well located in the City. I was also pleasantly surprised by the nice decor. We stayed on the second floor in a small but comfortable room with lovely high ceilings (Room 222). However, we were shocked to realize that the walls were paper-thin; we could literally hear the conversations of all our neighbors next to and above our room with perfect clarity. They were all speaking at a reasonable level and yet we could hear every single word. We asked to switch rooms, but we were unable to do so because the hotel was fully booked. That evening, we could even hear our neighbors breathing heavily in their sleep - as if they were sleeping in our own room! We're not talking a bear-snore here - just breathing. I've never stayed in a hotel room with such noise issues.

Our family also had another room down the call (closer to the lobby), and although they couldn't hear their neighbors, the roar from the lobby was ridiculous. Bring ear plugs or request a high-floor back room!

Room Tip: Pick a high floor and ask for a room as far away from the lobby as possible! Ask for a room change i...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Lisa-S-Camp, Sales Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I will be certain to share the feedback with our engineering department, as maybe the specific room (thank you for including) does have an issue. Although we occasionally hear feedback of noise from isolated loud incidents, what you are describing is definitely out of the ordinary.

I am glad to hear that outside of the noise, you had a good time in New Orleans and enjoyed the hotel! Hopefully you can come back to visit soon, and we can show you how great we really are!
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 7 November 2011

This hotel has it all- fabulous breakfast and happy hour with a great location. Staff was friendly and very eager to make my stay comfortable. The hotel was formerly a factory and updated with elegance and charm. My room was extremely comfortable.

Location is close to Bourbon Street and the Riverside shops.

I would definitely stay here again.