As we booked our stay, we were fully prepared for the dubious comforts of a "value" based choice. The perfection of this hotel could only be matched by the magnitude of our surprise.
1) We chose the location - right outside the fabled French Quarter - on purpose to avoid the noise (and the reek) of drunken tourist revelry, but it turned out a double blessing. Two streetcar lines, St. Charles and Canal, were strategically located within a minute's walk giving us easy access to all major attractions outside the FQ.
2) While fairly non-descriptive from outside, the hotel had the most spectacular interior design due to the fact that it combines seven (!) different historical buildings. It is named a national historical landmark for a good reason. Our room was small and had a rather unorthodox layout with no on-street windows but featured a powerful, whisper-quiet A/C and whopping 14' ceiling, shone crispy-clean, and was very adequately equipped (two flat-screens, fridge, microwave, and coffee maker).
3) The hotel featured free WiFi (pretty much a necessity for a modern traveler), a laundry room, a decently equipped gym, and a tiny but picturesque swimming pool. Absence of a hotel restaurant was richly compensated by a number of great eating-out places at hand, ranging from Arby's to local cuisine to luxurious French cafe and steakhouse.
4) A special praise is due to the hotel's complimentary breakfast. There was nothing "continental" about it, and to call it generous would have been a gross understatement. In fact, it enabled us to wade through French Quarter culinary temptations for at least a couple of hours without drooling over our clothes.
5) I refuse to refer to the service and the hotel's personnel as "professional"; the term is just too cold and soulless. The staff made us feel welcome and cared for. Even an issue as potentially explosive as a credit card charge discrepancy - due to a technical glitch when booking online, I suspect - was resolved in under a minute, and to our full satisfaction.
Conclusion: The place is highly recommended to families or quiet people who value good sleep, convenience, and great service at bargain price. If, however, you are into romantics or nightlife adventure, some hotels inside the French Quarter might suit you better.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Eliza Jane New Orleans - in the Unbound Collection by Hyatt reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Country Inn & Suites New Orleans Hotel New Orleans
- Country Inn And Suites New Orleans
- Country Inn New Orleans
- New Orleans Country Inn