“Great location and staff.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter
Ranked #40 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Very comfortable and reasonably priced. My daughter and I shared a suite for 5days. The extra room made it much more enjoyable for our stay. Close to all the action in French Quarter and close to River trolley when our feet were needing a rest. Breakfast was nice and the front staff, and porters ,especially Cory and Jamal , were so welcoming and friendly. Our car was brought promptly when requested and we were always greeted warmly upon our return. Splash pool area looked inviting but we didn't use it this trip. Would I stay here again? Definitely!!!

Room Tip: Having a suite for a stay of 5 days was great.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jdoherty9
mlarose9, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

The best endorsement is always that you would love to return! Hopefully you get to come back and visit us again soon! Thank you for writing a review, and I will be sure to pass on the kind words to the staff!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,525)

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Staff is excellent and hotel has everything you need for a fabulous stay. Breakfast is included and really good. Room had fridge and microwave for heating up leftovers we returned with. Fresh cookies at front desk. 24 hour coffee and means to make it in your room if you choose not to leave. Well located and within walking distance of all the attractions. Quiet place to stay. Highly recommend. Bed was not the best but not horrible either. Lots of extra pillows.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank stantonsue
mlarose9, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thanks for sharing your review! We are always thrilled to hear about 5 star experiences, and appreciate you taking the time to post. Hopefully you get to return and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel is wonderful. Even though it is a chain hotel, it has a great look, not at all like the "cookie cutter" chain hotels. It is located in a wonderful old building and really has that New Orleans look. The location is great. It is close enough to the French Quarter, but far enough away to be quiet. They have a fabulous hot breakfast, much better than what you usually get for "free" in the typical hotels. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Many times when we stay somewhere, I am always thinking about how a different hotel might have been better. Not with this place! Everything was perfect: price, location, room, breakfast. . . I would stay here again and definitely recommend to others!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Betsy W

Thanks for taking the time to post your review! You are right that the property is not quite the usual layout that you would see at a Country Inn and Suites. While we love the brands look and meet all the high standards that you have come to expect - we definitely mixed in some New Orleans French Quarter charm. The buildings original architecture was too great not to use. Perfect is a high standard and we are thrilled to hear guests use that word - it is ALWAYS our goal to provide PERFECT New Orleans experiences. Hopefully you get to come back soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

There are some very nice aspects to this hotel, but also some less nice ones.

I love the hotel being part of historic buildings. The lobby stretches from the ground floor all the way up to the roof with the rafters exposed and rooms on upper floors looking over it. I have read other reviews saying that this can be noisy - it probably depends where your room is, how early a riser you are, and how heavy a sleeper. I was pleased to be over an alley, but being on the first floor (US second) meant we were woken by the garbage truck too-early in the morning.
The free cookies in the lobby - dangerous for dieters but yummy.
The staff were always pleasant and friendly.
Wifi (free) was better than almost anything I've experienced in a hotel.
The desk in my room was ideal for some studying I was doing, with lots of natural light. The room had this tall windows on most of one wall, and good heavy curtains to block the light when you wanted. However, each room is individual and who knows what you will get.

When we checked in, I assisted a friend to her room and she discovered it to be on the ground floor with a parking lot coming right up to the window, and a boarded up building across from that. She didn't feel safe there, called the front desk and was moved to a room overlooking the lobby and was very happy with that. The service for this transaction was just right.

The downsides:
An average buffet in cramped conditions with not enough tables and chairs for the people there.
The coverlet on the bed looked unclean and made me anxious to ensure sheet was between me and it. The mustard colour doesn't help.
There's a lack of stairs, so you have to take the lift/elevator even for one floor, unless you go out of your way to find the stairs that designed to be emergency fire escapes, not a conduit to upper floors. I have several issues with this: the time it takes waiting for a lift to go up one floor, the energy wasted with it, the lack of exercising. Using stairs instead of lifts should be encouraged with a nice staircase right beside the lifts.

I reserve my 5 stars for the truly exceptional. I would have given this place 4 stars if it had had its breakfast buffet in a better location with more space and if the bed linen looked and felt nicer.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fenedin

While we are glad to see you had a lot of good experiences, we are also disappointed that parts of the stay fell short of expectations! We definitely want everyone to have a 5 star experience, and will be reviewing your suggestions for room to improve. Thank you for taking the time to share, and we hope that if you return to New Orleans, you consider staying with us again!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

The Country Inn & Suites, I understand, is an independently owned with the franchise name. We didn't get to spend much time there. However, every morning we enjoyed the complete breakfast with everything that one would expect from bacon, eggs, sausage patty etc. The bacon was by far the best I ever had served in a restaurant. There was not that processed flavor to it. It tasted fresh from the farm. The courtyard and the pool was small but enjoyable. It reminded me of the ones I had visited in Italy. The staff was all polite and friendly. Our room was very big and clean, including the bathroom. The walls were brick on one side. The room was painted a muted yellow which was very relaxing and calming after a hectic day and night on the town. I found myself wishing an hour before checkout that I could take a nap.
Please note that if you are traveling lightly, there is a bus stop about a mile away in which you could take a bus for $2.50 to the airport. Otherwise, you may get lucky and get to share a taxi with at least 2 others for $14 each. We got a great rate on this hotel on bookit.com also.

Room Tip: We had a room in the back on the first floor. Even though the view was an alley, it was still wide...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank travelingwoman45
mlarose9, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Glad to hear you had a great stay! We always find the best cure for not wanting to leave is to start planning the next trip to New Orleans as soon as possible! Hopefully you get to come back and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My wife and I stayed March 28 2014 to April 4.
It's a nice little hotel that is very close to the French Quarters, 2 minute walk to Canal street.

The reception calls your room an hour after you check in to make sure that you have everything you need.
They serve hot breakfast every morning, and it's not the same meal everyday so you won't get bored.
The cleaning staff both in the dining room and in the rooms are all very nice.

Since it's a party town, they put signs up after 11pm to be quiet and also you have to use your key card to get in so that there won't be any ruckus

I would come back to this hotel if I ever come back to New Orleans

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jacky T

Thanks for taking the time to share your review. We definitely do what we can to make sure everyone gets a great night sleep and are happy that you felt the signage was a good addition. Glad to hear that you would stay with us again when returning to New Orleans!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is a beautiful hotel. Loved the mixture of brick and old beams from the old buildings, kept the character but by no means did it look shabby. Staff were extremely friendly and polite from the reception staff all the way to the cleaners, breakfast staff were polite, friendly and very efficient. Loved having a chat with John at the bar before heading out for the night, gave us lots of great tips on were to go and good places to eat. Hotel was extremely clean with staff polishing and cleaning constantly. Excellent location, close enough for everything in walking distance. Just one downside was room was on the ground floor facing a building under construction so was woken every morning between 6-7am to workers/wagons etc. but I have to say it by no way lessened our enjoyment, would definitely return and recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Perfect in every way is a high standard to hit, but its certainly what we are always shooting for. I am glad to hear that you had such a fantastic stay with us. I will be sure to pass on the kind words to the entire staff. Thanks for sharing!