Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter
Ranked #43 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This is a nice hotel located in a remodeled building which formerly housed printing presses. The lobby is open and there is a pleasant little courtyard with a very small pool. Breakfast is fine. The staff is uniformly helpful. However, the concierge suggested a ghost tour (Livery) that was not very good.

We had hoped this hotel would be quiet since it is several blocks from the French Quarter. However, nearby construction started at 6 am every morning and the garbage collection was also quite early and noisy (on a Sunday!).

The sidewalk by the hotel is closed in the direction the Quarter (due to the construction), so you must cross in the middle of the block or walk in traffic, neither of which is good, as the NO drivers are a bit aggressive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Familytravels703
mlarose9, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thanks for the review! We are glad you had a good time in New Orleans. I apologize about the noise from the building next door - with the little project that has been going on next door we have tried hard to reach out to the crews and make sure that any noise or blockages are kept to a minimum. Despite not being under our direction, I know they have tried, but apologize on their behalf for any shortcomings in those efforts! We will be sure to continue to reach out and appreciate you letting us know about your experience!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,525)

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I just returned from 3 wonderful nights at this hotel. I was traveling alone and celebrating my birthday. From the moment I walked in the staff made me feel welcome and special. I got there prior to check in, but since the room (upgraded) was ready I was allowed to check in. When I opened the door to my king suite I was a little surprised that the bedroom had no window. But I had my best sleep in months in that "cavelike" environment
After changing I went downstairs to ask Valerie where I should go for a quick bite. She was so genuine and gave good info as well as suggestions for tours.
The following day I was greeted by name from both Valerie and Sabrina at the front desk. I went out for the day and imagine my surprise and delight when I returned to my room to find balloons and champagne with birthday wishes from the staff - Sabrina, Bryan and Valerie.
I travel a lot for business and pleasure. I've stayed at larger, more modern hotels with better amenities but I have never experienced the white glove service I experienced here. I just need to figure out when I can return. The entire staff deserves raises

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Ceb1901
mlarose9, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for spending your birthday with us! New Orleans is a city that loves an excuse to celebrate and I am thrilled to hear that the staff were able to help you celebrate your big day! Hopefully you get to come back again soon!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This hotel is stunning for a Country Inn & Suites, brilliant remodel, with large open airy feel. It doesn't seem like the stock franchised Country Inns you often find. Breakfast buffet is nice, and they do have a bar with limited selection. Concierge is knowledgeable to local trips.
Proximity to the quarter - it is not in the Quarter, it is on the other side of Canal, but we like to walk and it was maybe 3 to 4 blocks to get there, it seemed very close. We could also walk to the river easily.
Pool - meh, not really a pool, more like a glorified hot tub, but the little courtyard it's in is nice. We didn't really go to swim, but if a pool is important, I thought I should note this.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have windows, so if that's important to you, make sure to mention at check in.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

We know that we are definitely a little different than the normal Country Inn and Suites hotels. While we definitely embrace all the great service and amenities that people love, the hotel is housed in a series of buildings that date back 150 years and have had a great remodel to become the hotel we love! It really is a very unique structure that feels like a French Quarter boutique. Thanks for taking the time to share your trip, and feedback!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This hotel is located in a series of old town homes. It has been updated and presents well. The staff really go out of their way to make your stay memorable and pleasant. Located just a short walk from Bourbon Street we found this hotel to offer a quiet respite yet be close to all the attractions of New Orleans - either walking or by hopping on the trolley.

Room Tip: Our room was located at the very back of the hotel but still faced the street. It was remarkably qu...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I am glad to hear you had a great stay! We definitely love that the hotel provides all the French Quarter boutique charm, but is just a few steps outside of the party! It really is the best of both worlds.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I highly recommend this hotel. Everything was perfect. The staff was so very friendly and helpful.
The room was a little on the small side, but it had everything you could want and need and it was immaculate. The location was perfect. Just a few blocks from the hustle & bustle - within walking distance to everywhere we wanted to go. The free breakfast was excellent. There is no question in my mind that I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the review! We definitely agree that the location is great for New Orleans. You get all the charm of historic buildings, and can walk to any and all the attractions - but you are just far enough away to avoid having the party right outside your window! We hope you can come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

i am writing this review from the airport, waiting for our return flight home from a wonderful 4 night stay at the country inn. this property is very unique, as mentioned in a managers comment that it is 7 buildings repurposed together to make a wonderful boutique style hotel in the middle of New Orleans. The front desk staff is great at directing you to the proper elevator, so you do not have to navigate a few stairs with your luggage. The staff is so friendly and helpful, and goes out of their way to beat their "10" score on their buttons, and they should get a "12" .
Our room was a king bed room on the second floor, and extremely quiet, as we finally figured out we overlooked the pool courtyard. Spacious and comfortable with plenty of towels, and even a personal visit from the housekeeping supervisor to make sure our room was okay.
The breakfast staff was unbelievable as to how they could keep up with replenishing the food , which was always hot and keeping up with the dishes, as you get ceramic plates and metal silverware for use at breakfast. No styrofoam here!!!
My husband got a beer from the bar, and was pleasantly surprised with the complementary chips and salsa. And of course , the cookies!!
Access to french quarter, street cars, and of course the casino was just a short and safe walk, even at night.
I hope that Carlson does not re-brand this property, as it would take away from the charm of this location.

Room Tip: remember that this is a repurposed location, and not your standard cookie cutter new construction
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Fantastic review! We love hearing that EVERYTHING went so well. We always shoot for perfect experiences and to hear that we may have cleared that bar and done even better than perfect for your stay is great to know. I will be sure to share a pat on the back with the entire team. We hope that you get to return to New Orleans again soon, and we can see if we can do even better than 12 out of 10 :)

Reviewed 21 May 2014

short walk to French quarters, lovely quaint building, staff very helpful - they aim for and succeed to get 10/10. Breakfast was nothing special but included in the room rate. Would stay here again in future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Great to hear! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I know the team will appreciate hearing that they succeeded in giving perfect 10 service! Hopefully your travels bring you back to stay with us again soon!